Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla reluctant to make this a warranty issue? What you are saying makes no sense. My S’ was replaced under warranty two years ago as were many others, so it clearly was a warranty issue then. How could it be one then but not now?

You will need to ask Tesla about that. I don't make the rules.

Of course, as I noted in my previous post my new screen has the same issue, so replacing screens doesn’t seem like a fix either. So since swapping the screen doesn’t work, it does seem to make sense that they are trying this new tool to fix the issue.

I haven’t heard that this is a problem with our Model 3 screens, so it is a bit puzzling why the replacement X and S screens aren’t using that Model 3 glue or whatever material that works. (Or is my two year old 3 also likely to have the problem one of these days!!!)

Again, these are questions Tesla needs to be asked. Trouble is we don't have a public enough forum to ask these questions so we don't get stupid answers.

I had the UV repair on the main screen last week. It looks great one week after the repair.

But I was told there is no fix for yellowing on the IC. My IC started yellowing weeks later than the main screen, but its condition appears to be degrading at a much faster rate.

I had the main screen AND the IC done on my 2018 Model S P100D. They both look great now. I was told by the SC that they use the same tool for both the main screen and the instrument cluster. My service invoice is a little strange though. It almost reads like they replaced my IC.
Tesla Service Order.png

Putting a positive spin on this yellow issue:

I just sold my first Tesla. It had a yellow band. Not one prospective buyer even mentioned it when the asked about the condition of my car. Same thing with panel gaps. Seems not to be a big issue for resale value.

Same thing with panel gaps. People make a huge deal about this on the forums, but not one person asked me about panel gaps.

Some were interested in my rated range at full, tire tread depth, history of service or repairs, accident history and most of all if I liked it, and why I was selling it.

It may be that we are making too big a deal about a yellowing band, going around the outside of a display. Reminds me of a few years ago when A/V forums were making a huge deal about individual dark pixels on their flat screen TVs. They would blast the brightness so they could check for the dark pixels and bragged about returning screen after screen, hoping to get a perfect one. That seems to have died down now, however.

I just sold my first Tesla. It had a yellow band. Not one prospective buyer even mentioned it when the asked about the condition of my car. Same thing with panel gaps. Seems not to be a big issue for resale value.

Same thing with panel gaps. People make a huge deal about this on the forums, but not one person asked me about panel gaps.

Some were interested in my rated range at full, tire tread depth, history of service or repairs, accident history and most of all if I liked it, and why I was selling it.

It may be that we are making too big a deal about a yellowing band, going around the outside of a display. Reminds me of a few years ago when A/V forums were making a huge deal about individual dark pixels on their flat screen TVs. They would blast the brightness so they could check for the dark pixels and bragged about returning screen after screen, hoping to get a perfect one. That seems to have died down now, however.
did you let them know about the yellow border issue?

I'll challenge you to an ugly battle. I may just win.
Hey this could be a new thread, competition for the nastiest yellowed screen, tag Elon on Twitter when it gets a few pages long.
#fixmynastyscreen

I just sold my first Tesla. It had a yellow band. Not one prospective buyer even mentioned it
I remember someone on here said they tried to trade their Telsa in and the car yard took one look at the screen and said sorry not interested.

• Funny
Reactions: Ken7
I only noticed the other day that the yellowing on my screen was clearly visible. Even with the satellite maps on. Pesky and a little ugly compared to the pristine clarity of my SO’s new Model 3. The 3 is a formidable vehicle. I can hardly wait for the Model Y.

I had the main screen AND the IC done on my 2018 Model S P100D. They both look great now. I was told by the SC that they use the same tool for both the main screen and the instrument cluster. My service invoice is a little strange though. It almost reads like they replaced my IC. View attachment 453784

Remove and Replace means exactly what it says, removing and replacing the unit. This is accounting for the labor, not the materials. With the steering wheel in the way, they may remove the IC rather than try to treat it in place. Notice they don't indicate this for the main console.

More interesting is that they put it down to warranty rather than "goodwill". Hang onto that in case you decide to take it to arbitration.

Reactions: aesculus

How much did they pay for their TVs? Yeah, I expect the screen in a car costing this much to be essentially perfect. I'd never notice a few dead pixels mostly because it moves around while driving (makes it hard to push buttons on the screen too) and I really can't get close enough to see an individual pixel. But a dark brown band around my screen is total BS.

If buyers aren't asking about it, that's because they don't know about the issue. For someone to climb in the car and notice the brown band is not so easy since they are pretty much overwhelmed by the complexity of the car in general. A used car salesman tried to sell me a car with a bunch of small dents in the passenger door by standing in my way as I looked at the car. lol If he had gotten that past me does that mean the dents didn't matter much?

Let us agree to disagree that a defective screen with a hideous yellow border that over time turns brown and gets bigger blocking what is displayed on the screen is not a big deal.

Perhaps, you just have lower standards :p :rolleyes: (and there is nothing wrong with that, but understand not everyone is okay with a display that discolors to an ugly opaque brown color over time). A hideous yellow border is not okay on my TV, phone, laptop, tablet or any other display I own -- including the MCU display that is used to control every aspect of the car and the centerpiece of the interior.

Reported my yellow screen to Tesla last December, after hearing 8 months of "fix coming soon", I contacted NSW Fair Trading department here in Australia.

The day after they contacted Tesla, I get a call saying the UV fix device has been shipped to Australia and I'll be getting priority fix.

I'm now booked in for Monday to have it resolved, it's a shame I needed to go to Fair Trading to have this rectified.

During my 30 minute call to the Tesla service rep, I asked about cost, if it's a permanent fix and what happens if it reappears outside of the warranty period, I was told the following:

- It will be offered free of charge.
- It is unknown how long this fix will last for (they're hoping it's a permanent fix).
- Tesla Aus is fully committed to rectifying this issue for all owners and delivering the best service they can.
- I asked about what happens if it re-appears outside warranty, they said if you have this fixed in-warranty, it'll be on your account and it's highly likely they would have to offer this fix again free of charge outside of warranty under Australian consumer law.