Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What “blemishes”? I’m sorry, I can’t follow your logic- you’re replacing the defective part with one which is exactly the same and may, most likely, will exhibit the same defect shortly. Have you seen the posts abt 2019 models having the same yellow border shortly after delivery?
As to Your example with dents and scratches... That’s exactly what most ppl do before the trade in or lease end if it affects the value
How do you know when that “new” screen will fail and have the yellow border and if it won’t happen shortly before or on the day of a trade in?
Well, I like to keep my car in shape at any time, if I feel like buying a car on a whim, like I did my very first Tesla by the way, while waiting for my wife at the mall, took a test drive and bought it. Had my Lexus at the time be not in shape to be traded-in, would have never bought a Tesla.

Additionally, it seems not every screen yellows. Even if 50% of them go yellow, swapping out 3 times gives me 88% of change getting one which will work, while Tesla's fix is not ready, nor tested, so even if it comes next year it might not be a long term solution either. So, the pragmatic course of action for best results, keep swapping screens until you get one which works. The sooner you start swapping, the more screens you get before your warranty expires. Yes, I know it costs Tesla money, but that is the gamble they take when shipping untested designs and parts. Elon likes to claim credit for how his agile development "ship it now, fix it later" revolutionized the car industry, he should own the failures too.

So there, I just gave you a pragmatic reason why people would want to swap to a new screen which might yellow - it's to increase the chances to get one which doesn't yellow. Elon likes logic and numbers, he should understand.

Well, I like to keep my car in shape at any time, if I feel like buying a car on a whim, like I did my very first Tesla by the way, while waiting for my wife at the mall, took a test drive and bought it. Had my Lexus at the time be not in shape to be traded-in, would have never bought a Tesla.

Additionally, it seems not every screen yellows. Even if 50% of them go yellow, swapping out 3 times gives me 88% of change getting one which will work, while Tesla's fix is not ready, nor tested, so even if it comes next year it might not be a long term solution either. So, the pragmatic course of action for best results, keep swapping screens until you get one which works. The sooner you start swapping, the more screens you get before your warranty expires. Yes, I know it costs Tesla money, but that is the gamble they take when shipping untested designs and parts. Elon likes to claim credit for how his agile development "ship it now, fix it later" revolutionized the car industry, he should own the failures too.

So there, I just gave you a pragmatic reason why people would want to swap to a new screen which might yellow - it's to increase the chances to get one which doesn't yellow. Elon likes logic and numbers, he should understand.

Well, my definition of pragmatic is different from yours... I called them and created the email trail, was a assured in writing that the problem will be addressed, once the permanent fix is available. That's about what I will be doing for now, granted my car is only 4 months into warranty and I can wait for the solution, unless functionality of the screen will be affected. I have a busy schedule and better things to do on my spare time...

1. because it is the law. Tesla offered a warranty, they cannot weasel their way out of it. You not caring is not an argument.
2. They are providing a defective part. This is not a debatable opinion, it is fact. Continuing to provide a defective part does not exempt Tesla from the law.
3. What Tesla wants to do and what Tesla is required to do, by law, are two separate points. Tesla asked us to wait, many of us did. Then Tesla said "naw, this isn't covered by warranty". Arbitration said "**** you, yes it is". If you have been paying attention at all, you'll notice that legal proceedings did not begin until Tesla attempted to exempt themselves from the responsibility of repairing their own defective product. Lesser companies might have died by now. If this is how Tesla is going to operate from now on, perhaps they should die too.

1. I'm not sure why you are bringing up me caring. Would I be annoyed with a yellowing screen? Yes, would I be annoyed with the communication/ messaging issues I am hearing about? Yes. Does swapping a part with another part that will have the same issue make sense to me instead of waiting for a better fix? No. Tesla has said in arbitration that it is a warranty problem and will be repaired under warranty.
2. Yes, the screen yellows. The poster I replied to already had the screen replaced (under warranty). It also yellowed. Until Tesla has a screen that does not yellow, it is somewhat futile to keep swapping them (other that the issue of a 3rd party sale or trade in, in which case hiding the yellowing issue may have its own ramifications).
3. If Tesla wants to provide a permanent fix, is working on a permanent fix, and will apply the fix once it exists, are they not complying with the law? What long term benefit is there from force them to replace a part with a part that is known will also yellow? Again, from the first post in this thread, Tesla has said it will be covered by warranty.

I get that people are frustrated with Tesla's communication/ messaging on this issue, but that does not mean forcing an ineffective replacement that will need to be redone is a good approach.

Well, my definition of pragmatic is different from yours... I called them and created the email trail, was a assured in writing that the problem will be addressed, once the permanent fix is available. That's about what I will be doing for now, granted my car is only 4 months into warranty and I can wait for the solution, unless functionality of the screen will be affected. I have a busy schedule and better things to do on my spare time...
I think I understand where you are coming from. I’d say there is a continuum for tolerance of issues with Tesla product. You are on the very tolerant side, and I would guess it’s because you have had few issues and are a new owner, and while reading about others’ issues you still see how much the overall benefit outweighs the cost. Give it a few years. Or read @whitex posts to see where he has come from, and I think you will evolve your understanding. I am in the middle of the continuum btw. I see both sides.

Reactions: kavyboy
If this is the biggest problem that Tesla has with it's cars, then perhaps they are in pretty good shape.

Compared to other manufacturers they have put together a pretty solid automotive offering.

Compare the yellowed screen to some others.
Takata airbags. Takata is replacing the faulty bags with new ones, also with the same deffects. They are also installing them into new cars, with the knowledge that those also will need to be replaced.
Ford had well known issues with the gas tank placement in their pinto.
GM had "Unsafe at any speed" handling issues with their Corvair. Also had fan belts that would break and overheat their engines.
Many Asian (Honda) designed interference valve trains that would ruin their motors if the timing belt broke.
VW designed an unsafe rear swing axle on their Beetles. Wheels tended to tuck under at an angle causing lots of roll overs and unsafe handling.
Safety glass windows that used to delaminate.
The Fuel Tank on Grand CHerokee were vulnerable to rear collisions.
Consumer Reports often reveals fatal design flaws with cars they test.
Lots of cars fail the Moose Test. Mostly high center of gravity SUVs that become unstable when swerving.
Poor quality sounding stereo systems from BMW and Mercedes Brenz.
Defective tires from Firestone.
Launch rockets and space shuttles that would blow up, taking astronauts into orbit

Others can remember even more product issues from the past.

Perhaps having a yellow tinge to a band of adhesive around a display panel is not as dramatic as some would make it out to be.

Understanding that Tesla is currently validating a corrective fix, that can be done without physically dismanteling the dashboard should be greeted with happiness instead of distain.

Instead of attacking with a hoard of lawyers, perhaps some patience will be well received.

Instead of attacking with a hoard of lawyers, perhaps some patience will be well received.

In case you forgot, we did wait. We were then told that no fix or replacement would be coming under warranty. Instead there would be a $1300.00 fee to replace 'a cosmetic anomaly'. So yeah, Tesla forced this option on their customers. Just about everyone here who has initiated arbitration was perfectly content to wait for a solution until they were informed that any solution would cost them out-of-pocket.

There are multiple threads on this topic where a very similar version of the above played out. I would love to see a counter example where someone immediately went to arbitration before discussing potential options with Tesla first.

If Tesla really was deserving of the pedestal you are putting them on, why do you need to resort to comparing this failure to other car companies? There was a time when they perhaps deserved this praise; that time seems to have passed.

I get that people are frustrated with Tesla's communication/ messaging on this issue, but that does not mean forcing an ineffective replacement that will need to be redone is a good approach.

Once Tesla made it clear that they would not handle screen repair or replacement under warranty, arbitration became a viable option; not before. Their communication on this matter became quite clear a few months ago. If you have any, feel free to provide counter examples as I would love to see them.

Once Tesla made it clear that they would not handle screen repair or replacement under warranty, arbitration became a viable option; not before. Their communication on this matter became quite clear a few months ago. If you have any, feel free to provide counter examples as I would love to see them.
From the linked arbitration agreement in the first post:
SmartSelect_20190706-081546_Firefox.jpg

From previous post which I was replying to:
You'll be contacted by a Tesla lawyer who will try to persuade you to be "patient and cooperative". He'll ask you to drop this pesky arbitration suit, and tell you "he's coordinating with your service center". When I made a proposal for a written agreement to drop the arbitration, he claimed "No matter if you win or lose, Tesla will perform a repair - the outcome is going to be the same".

Please reread my post in context of what I was addressing: Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!
It is responding to that post regarding using arb to get a 3rd screen and claiming Tesla's request to delay is to avoid the issue, not due to the replacements not being a permanent fix.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
@mongo I love that you are quoting a deliberate deceptive tactic from a Tesla lawyer. I love it even more that you deliberately left out the remainder of his post that CLEARLY outlines that the attempt was in bad faith. Here, i'll post the entire quote:

You'll be contacted by a Tesla lawyer who will try to persuade you to be "patient and cooperative". He'll ask you to drop this pesky arbitration suit, and tell you "he's coordinating with your service center". When I made a proposal for a written agreement to drop the arbitration, he claimed "No matter if you win or lose, Tesla will perform a repair - the outcome is going to be the same". He conveniently left out the timeline under which a repair would be performed outside of arbitration. He stopped responding when I made it clear that I want this issue fixed within 30 days guaranteed. (This is the second screen in this vehicle, and I've waited for almost 9 months in total with just this issue in this one car. I've had the same issue in another vehicle).

He tried to pressure me by saying "Cooperation and patience will go a long way with us in terms of this or other concerns you may have with your Tesla." He later claimed he wasn't saying Tesla would blacklist me - but yes he clearly was trying to make me feel uncomfortable with requesting arbitration.

After several emails back and forth, it's clear to me that this guy's job is literally just to try to delay or end warranty arbitration requests to try to save Tesla money. I guess Tesla must think it's profitable - probably because they know they're going to have a lot of arbitration. But I don't understand how this could be more profitable than just changing out screens.

Why didn't you quote the entire post? If you somehow think that what @wildag experienced was a legitimate attempt at resolution, I have a bridge to sell you.

If you somehow think that what @wildag experienced was a legitimate attempt at resolution, I have a bridge to sell you. If you left it out on purpose, you are part of the problem.
I was specifically addressing your statement:
Once Tesla made it clear that they would not handle screen repair or replacement under warranty,
and responded to your request:
If you have any, feel free to provide counter examples as I would love to see them.
and I linked to the post so that people could read the entire thing.

@mongo I love that you are quoting a deliberate deceptive tactic from a Tesla lawyer. If you somehow think that what @wildag posted was a legitimate attempt at resolution, I have a bridge to sell you.

How is what the lawyer told wildag "No matter if you win or lose, Tesla will perform a repair - the outcome is going to be the same" any different from what was stated in the arbitration document? "The Manufacturer's position is that the vehicle is under warranty and the problem will be addressed under warranty when a solution is available"

How is it deceptive? If you don't believe anything they say, then further discussion is not possible.
Again, I am not defending Tesla's communication, I'm saying forcing a part to be replaced with a part that will have the same issue (just like the screen that was already replaced in that car) does not seem useful, other than in the short term aesthetics department.

@mongo Because Tesla legal also had this to say...

This is part of an email I received from Tesla Legal a few days ago:

We recently learned the genesis of the issue from the supplier so that’s why we’ve changed course on our position re warranty coverage. Our warranty language remains the same, and now we’ve determined from our supplier that the issue falls under an exclusion and therefore it is excluded from the warranty. The fact that we previously did not know that and thus previously replaced some touchscreens doesn’t change that.

So please, @mongo do tell us which Tesla we are supposed to believe at this point? Do you have some secret insider knowledge or are you still looking through rose tinted goggles?

• Love
Reactions: erik_k and Mobster
Here, @mongo since you clearly are not reading the entire post:

He stopped responding when I made it clear that I want this issue fixed within 30 days guaranteed. (This is the second screen in this vehicle, and I've waited for almost 9 months in total with just this issue in this one car. I've had the same issue in another vehicle).

THAT is how arbitration is different from an empty promise.

• Love
Reactions: Mobster
If anyone can email anything that will help document this issue I would appreciate it. Recent work orders showing screen replacement . settlements etc. [email protected]
I have change from Documents to a personnel appearance. It probably will not make a difference but I would like a commitment for a screen replacement that will hold up. I think Tesla needs to produce every car they can and something like this may not be a priority. We need to make it one,.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I think I understand where you are coming from. I’d say there is a continuum for tolerance of issues with Tesla product. You are on the very tolerant side, and I would guess it’s because you have had few issues and are a new owner, and while reading about others’ issues you still see how much the overall benefit outweighs the cost. Give it a few years. Or read @whitex posts to see where he has come from, and I think you will evolve your understanding. I am in the middle of the continuum btw. I see both sides.

Actually I am not a tolerant side, but rather on the side of pragmatism,- no point to waste my time and energy, I created the paper trail that all I can do for now, since no fix is available...
I do apply to Tesla same standards, as I did to Lexus, MB or Audi. Have little patience and zero tolerance to BS. All these appeals to Elon, are naive at best... I am surprised- looks like the company is one man show, where everything starts and ends with Elon, who, regardless of his genius, can not cover it all.
In addition, unlike a lot of members here, I bought this car for it dynamics, not for ACC, AAP, FSD etc... I love driving myself... In fact I use electronic nannies very rarely if ever... They make me nervous, as their "driving style" is so different from humans, too abrupt and mechanical. I usually keep my cars around three years, by that time Audi E-Tron GT should be available, time will show...

Actually I am not a tolerant side, but rather on the side of pragmatism,- no point to waste my time and energy, I created the paper trail that all I can do for now, since no fix is available...
I do apply to Tesla same standards, as I did to Lexus, MB or Audi. Have little patience and zero tolerance to BS. All these appeals to Elon, are naive at best... I am surprised- looks like the company is one man show, where everything starts and ends with Elon, who, regardless of his genius, can not cover it all.
In addition, unlike a lot of members here, I bought this car for it dynamics, not for ACC, AAP, FSD etc... I love driving myself... In fact I use electronic nannies very rarely if ever... They make me nervous, as their "driving style" is so different from humans, too abrupt and mechanical. I usually keep my cars around three years, by that time Audi E-Tron GT should be available, time will show...

Point taken

Here, @mongo since you clearly are not reading the entire post:

THAT is how arbitration is different from an empty promise.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not arguing for/ against arbitration for the implementation of a real solution.
He stopped responding when I made it clear that I want this issue fixed within 30 days guaranteed.
Yes, if they go to arbitration they will get a new screen in 30 days. However, until Tesla resolves the root issue, replacing is not a fix.
Thus, until there is a permanent solution, screen swapping seems a waste. That is all I was trying to say.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler