Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My screen after UV treatment, still can see the yellow... I don't know if I want to address it, frankly. Hopefully, will not get any worse.
IMG_20190918_144415.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I've tried scheduling a mobile service fix for yellow screen twice now, each time they cancel and set a service center appt. That's fine. However the first time SC told me they would put me on "the list" for when the tool came by. Nothing came of that. This time received a text from SC saying: "Though there is a fix, it has not been released to Service Centers yet..." No fix available yet to Los Angeles area?

Or they will do what they did with me, cancel the appointment, not call, and only tell me once I arrived at the SC. That’s fun.

Mine has a 1.5 inch white halo all around the outer perimeter, if you turn the gain down you can barely see it.

At night you can't see it at all, crystal clear. They refused to fix it in July when it was in for a myriad of other small warrantable issues. Reasoning is "no reason to keep fixing and fixing until the engineers figure out a fix". I agreed.

SO yesterday I looked to the right of the screen and bubbles starting to form. I guess they can't refurb if bubbles form to a great degree. MY guessing here.

Yesterday, I happened to be at Tesla as they are close to me downloading and update(don't ask). I sent pic to Ranger while I was there and today I have appt for new screen to be installed and another warrantable item that has popped up clicking under dash(mixing AC actuator and gear). The AC works now that its broken though like it never has.

Turning it down in 94 degree heat its knocking me over it so cold. Ranger says it was most likely out of time since new. Great, three years of living like I was in Havana with a 56 Chevy. Glad we figured that one out. Glad its still in warranty also.

Probably going to get a refurbished MCU. That scares me even more. I really could start working there, my lessons have been this car.

I will say this car has never failed me, ever. I would jump in it tomorrow and throw 15,000 miles on it without thinking twice. I'd air up like one lb in each tire, Get a bag together and jump in. I have that much faith in its ability to carry me safely, with out issue. Small stuff yes. The stuff that matters NO problem.
IMG_7680.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG

• Informative
Probably going to get a refurbished MCU. That scares me even more. I really could start working there, my lessons have been this car.

Why would you get a refurbished MCU? They only replace the screen in cases like this. Though it might be to your advantage to get a refurbished MCU since they would have likely replaced the eMMC that will fail on every single MCU1 eventually. (It depends mainly on up-time of the MCU.)

I would not be happy with that after photo... If it still has the yellow border after the treatment is surely will come back.
I know, but I'm really tired of fighting with them and making arrangements... If it gets worse, I will certainly address it, or if I will need service for some other reason, I will ask them to try to fix it again.
As I said, if I knew back in March what I know now, I would not be switching from my s6 to Tesla. This is not the car for my nervous system, lol, regardless, how do I love it dynamics...

Reactions: Downtown
I know, but I'm really tired of fighting with them and making arrangements... If it gets worse, I will certainly address it, or if I will need service for some other reason, I will ask them to try to fix it again.
As I said, if I knew back in March what I know now, I would not be switching from my s6 to Tesla. This is not the car for my nervous system, lol, regardless, how do I love it dynamics...

I also switched from a S6. Both cars feel special in their own way but I feel your pain on the Tesla service.

Why would you get a refurbished MCU?

I'm guessing, this is Tesla's warranty program, its there prerogative to fix it however they can.

I imagine they are refurbishing monitors (MCU) like crazy right now.

SO its their decision to put a refurb in and its the most plausible answer. They surely don't throw them away.

I can tell you with the halo they were like" uh lets wait till we find a permanent fix". The bubbles came along the edge and they jumped into action less then 24 hours I had an appointment.

Save this MCU it while its still refurbish-able, before its becomes scrap.

There is some process they now do to refurb the monitor at service and either in the car or take it out, refurb and reinstall it.

I asked the ranger, he said "the new one/refurb will probably do it again". SO its a stop gap measure 2-3 years maybe.

You know in reality you never really own these cars, they belong to Tesla, you buy- they warranty, you trade in, they sell it-they warranty- you buy on and on it goes. Lease or buy they really own them.

• Informative
Apparently the machine for my appointment arrived at 10am this morning, only one in Australia, during my appointment, head office asked for it back... so at present my car is the only one in Australia to be fixed and all appointments they had lined up for this week we’re moved to October. Apparently a new revision of the machine is being sent out. Here’s a photo of the before and after, like new again! The best part? They didn’t need to take off my matte screen protector, win!

Before:
View attachment 455370

After:
View attachment 455366
Have you noticed yellowIng on the panel behind the steering wheel as well? Today I noticed a yellow bar at the top and bottom of this screen. I could only see it in the sun.

Reactions: Holo and rohan_aus
Have you noticed yellowIng on the panel behind the steering wheel as well? Today I noticed a yellow bar at the top and bottom of this screen. I could only see it in the sun.
Yep, I have it on the driver display but I can only see it in direct sunlight, which is very rare, so I'm not overly bothered by it. I will make sure I raise it with them before my warranty period ends so it's logged and can be replaced/fixed.
IMG_0532.JPG

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Yep, I have it on the driver display but I can only see it in direct sunlight, which is very rare, so I'm not overly bothered by it. I will make sure I raise it with them before my warranty period ends so it's logged and can be replaced/fixed.View attachment 457342
That is exactly what mine looks like and you’re right, it’s only obvious in direct sunlight.

• Love
Reactions: viper2ko
Yet model 3 gets a screen without this issue. But they continue to build S and X that still have this issue. Tell me why the S and X are the premier cars again elon

My guess is that the water cooled screen would require too much of a rebuild right now, it is most likely coming eventually, when they have enough money for updates.

I also like that someone also disagrees with a post just containing a fact that even Elon himself has acknowledged...