Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These aren’t speced for automotive use, that is why the problem exists to begin with...

We don't actually know that. It appears to me that the problem is that some screens didn't get properly cured when the touch panel was glued to the LCD screen. And we know that some screens come out of the box, having never been in a car, with the yellow border. So I don't think the issue causing the yellow border is the automotive rating, or lack of it.

I also like that someone also disagrees with a post just containing a fact that even Elon himself has acknowledged...

The part I was disagreeing with is that he stated as a fact that the reason this is happening is because of the lack of an automotive rating. When we don't know for a fact that these screens aren't rated, and even if they aren't we don't know that that is the reason they are yellowing.

Just because Elon said that they originally didn't use automotive rated screens doesn't mean that they haven't switched to using them. The original screens leaked and formed bubbles. The next version of screens yellowed around the edges. They are on the third version now and we don't know if they yellow or not.

Reactions: dhanson865
We don't actually know that. It appears to me that the problem is that some screens didn't get properly cured when the touch panel was glued to the LCD screen. And we know that some screens come out of the box, having never been in a car, with the yellow border. So I don't think the issue causing the yellow border is the automotive rating, or lack of it.

The part I was disagreeing with is that he stated as a fact that the reason this is happening is because of the lack of an automotive rating. When we don't know for a fact that these screens aren't rated, and even if they aren't we don't know that that is the reason they are yellowing.

Just because Elon said that they originally didn't use automotive rated screens doesn't mean that they haven't switched to using them. The original screens leaked and formed bubbles. The next version of screens yellowed around the edges. They are on the third version now and we don't know if they yellow or not.

Well, if that was the case then surely they would have fixed it by now, or changed to a panel manufacturer that didn’t compete for the crappiest in the world (the fail rate is way too high on these).

That they don’t replace the screens would indicate they haven’t fixed it yet.

How is the 3 screen, can you see the actual panel edge there? Or did they just make a frame that covers the panel edges so any yellowing wouldn’t show?

IMG_20190824_072059.jpg
IMG_20190825_111119.jpg
IMG_20190923_132457.jpg
IMG_20190923_132500.jpg

Before and after shown. Whole process took about 2.5 hours. They gave me an uber credit while I waited. They said they had to use it twice to remove all the yellowing. Overall satisfied with the result. FYI my invoice does say goodwill service. Not warranty

Received this today from support
“...Tesla has reviewed these cases and determined this is a wear and cosmetic condition, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect and Tesla has no obligation to replace the touchscreen under warranty. However, Tesla is in the process of releasing a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to reduce the yellowing condition.”

Not a defect, I say no, it’s plainly a defect and began shortly after I bought car. If the UV light fixes, ok but if not I want a permanent fix.

tesla sucks

“...Tesla has reviewed these cases and determined this is a wear and cosmetic condition, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect and Tesla has no obligation to replace the touchscreen under warranty. However, Tesla is in the process of releasing a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to reduce the yellowing condition.”

Not a defect, I say no, it’s plainly a defect and began shortly after I bought car. If the UV light fixes, ok but if not I want a permanent fix.

tesla sucks

Considering that Tesla deliberately delivered the car knowing that the screen will yellow in a short time, it seems like an easy pick for any lawer.

My S developed a yellow border on the replacement screen (from 15 months ago) while on a trip to Maine last month; I noticed it after SuperCharging in Freeport/LL Bean when it was 90 out.

I just now noticed the yellow border on our X for the first time. The car is only 9 months old.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My S developed a yellow border on the replacement screen (from 15 months ago) while on a trip to Maine last month; I noticed it after SuperCharging in Freeport/LL Bean when it was 90 out.

I just now noticed the yellow border on our X for the first time. The car is only 9 months old.

Very sad that they continue to sell new cars knowing this is an issue. At this point I would never consider an X or S. Model 3 is the way to go

tesla sucks
On the bright side, it seems they are at least giving a consistent message now, rather than each employee coming up with their own pacifying story. Silver lining on a storm cloud, I know.

Sorry for the dusty display, but has anyone seen yellow on the dash screen as well? This is a late 2018 build Model S. I first noticed this today and only see it when the sunlight is hitting the screen directly. In the shade you do not see it ( yet)
View attachment 458456

Yes, my IC screen started to yellow about nine months after purchase. Tesla has repaired my main display. They stated there is no repair for the IC screen and refused to replace it. Others have had the IC screen replaced. The yellow condition gets worse over time.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes, my IC screen started to yellow about nine months after purchase. Tesla has repaired my main display. They stated there is no repair for the IC screen and refused to replace it. Others have had the IC screen replaced. The yellow condition gets worse over time.
I posted my invoice few pages back, find it, it states that the screen was replaced under the warranty. Print it and take it to your SC

Reactions: MelaniainLA