Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 6 months of back and forth about my 2017 MX yellow screen MCU, I finally got the same BS response from a UTAH-based Tesla Rep. I won’t post it here since this isn’t about a single individual. I have both the MX and a M3 Dual Motor LR version so I’m juggling two Tesla payments.

I had also paid for extended Warranty and Maintenance packages--I know, I know---for the MX. My request for a prorated refund on my MX Maintenance Plan had gone unanswered. I live in Northern Virginia--DC Metro Area--and the the single service center in McLean/Tyson’s Corner had been simply swamped. Takes about a month to get a service appt and don’t even get me started on the Uber credits...in the DC area Uber Credits are non-starters where the avg commute is 3-4 hrs a day (both ways). So that means we’ll be paying for Enterprise rental cars as well instead of loaners for warranty service.

My intention is to go on arbitration about the yellow MCU. I had asked them if their HDTV would start displaying the same “cosmetic" symptoms under warranty what would their own answer be if the manufacturer refused warranty service with the same lame excuse?

“Wear and tear cosmetics -> not a defect -> but you can buy the new part which is free from having the non-defect “condition.”

I’m sincerely concerned about the long-term viability of Tesla. I hope Musk or whoever runs this side of the business realizes they cannot get away with crappy customer service, no matter how awesome their tech is. At the end of the day, it’s about a relationship. An existing customer costs 10% to retain to what it cost to get new ones. Tesla saved a bunch of money by word-of-mouth “advertisement” but the same thing can also work against them.

Time will tell. I hope they can right the ship in time.

Sorry for the dusty display, but has anyone seen yellow on the dash screen as well? This is a late 2018 build Model S. I first noticed this today and only see it when the sunlight is hitting the screen directly. In the shade you do not see it ( yet)
View attachment 458456

I had the same yellowing in the instrument cluster. They told me they do not have a UV machine to fix that yet so they ordered me a replacement screen that I will have installed in 3 weeks. I just picked up my car today and the UV treatment seems to have worked perfectly. I’ll post photos tomorrow when the sun is at the same angle as my original photo.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
After 6 months of back and forth about my 2017 MX yellow screen MCU, I finally got the same BS response from a UTAH-based Tesla Rep. I won’t post it here since this isn’t about a single individual. I have both the MX and a M3 Dual Motor LR version so I’m juggling two Tesla payments.

I had also paid for extended Warranty and Maintenance packages--I know, I know---for the MX. My request for a prorated refund on my MX Maintenance Plan had gone unanswered. I live in Northern Virginia--DC Metro Area--and the the single service center in McLean/Tyson’s Corner had been simply swamped. Takes about a month to get a service appt and don’t even get me started on the Uber credits...in the DC area Uber Credits are non-starters where the avg commute is 3-4 hrs a day (both ways). So that means we’ll be paying for Enterprise rental cars as well instead of loaners for warranty service.

My intention is to go on arbitration about the yellow MCU. I had asked them if their HDTV would start displaying the same “cosmetic" symptoms under warranty what would their own answer be if the manufacturer refused warranty service with the same lame excuse?

“Wear and tear cosmetics -> not a defect -> but you can buy the new part which is free from having the non-defect “condition.”

I’m sincerely concerned about the long-term viability of Tesla. I hope Musk or whoever runs this side of the business realizes they cannot get away with crappy customer service, no matter how awesome their tech is. At the end of the day, it’s about a relationship. An existing customer costs 10% to retain to what it cost to get new ones. Tesla saved a bunch of money by word-of-mouth “advertisement” but the same thing can also work against them.

Time will tell. I hope they can right the ship in time.

Please keep us posted.

Any suggestion that LCD displays are wear and tear components is such BS and it is incredibly offensive to customers to even suggest that. They are playing a dangerous game not honoring warranty service for defective displays. If the windshield yellows is that cosmetic too? What if the paint starts peeling off?

If your phone, TV, tablet, or laptop's display turns yellow, would ANYONE accept that it is just "cosmetic" and not a defect?! Of course not. This is no different.

When you go to arbitration, be sure to look up the arbitration cases Tesla has LOST and if you lose, be sure to ask them why the arbitration is such a sham where apparently the same facts can result in a verdict for or against you based on what kind of a day the arbitrator is having.

If you lose the arbitration case, from what I understand, it frees you to pursue other options for a remedy as long as you formally decline to accept the unreasonable arbitration judgement.

tesla really is scummy for not addressing this issue head on and bs'ing owners. I mean why act so lame when people bought your 70-100k car?

This move on their part is going to be very costly to them. All the cool tech in the world is not going to make up for the distaste they are leaving in their customers' mouths.

i would like to believe that but look at all the many new model 3 owners buying them everyday.
But M3 owners don’t have the yellowing screen issue and may be totally unaware of the problem in the S. I’m still surprised when I speak to other MS owners at a SC, who are still unaware of the yellowing screen issue in the MS. On these forums we think most S owners know that, but you’d be surprised how many don’t.

Does this yellow border issue still affect the displays in the newer Raven models, or too early to tell? Does it eventually happen to all Model S/X screens? I know it doesn't affect the functionality, but as someone thinking of going from a Model 3 to a Model X, these details irk me and is giving me pause.

Does this yellow border issue still affect the displays in the newer Raven models, or too early to tell? Does it eventually happen to all Model S/X screens? I know it doesn't affect the functionality, but as someone thinking of going from a Model 3 to a Model X, these details irk me and is giving me pause.

Apparently there is a Revision C of the display that is immune to this issue and I bet that is what is currently shipped in the Raven models.

If the UV fix does not work, the only viable resolution is to request a MCU replacement with the current revision.

Does this yellow border issue still affect the displays in the newer Raven models, or too early to tell?

I don't think we have seen anyone report this on a vehicle newer than March, 2019. So probably too early to tell at this time.

Does it eventually happen to all Model S/X screens?

We don't know. But I don't think so.

Reactions: dhanson865
After arbitration decided in my favor almost a month ago, mobile service came out today and replaced my screen with a shiny new one. I have not received an invoice showing their internal part numbers, but I took a few pics of the back of the old and new screens after the old one was removed from the MCU..

Old: Old-Tesla-display.jpeg

New: New-Tesla-screen.jpeg

After arbitration decided in my favor almost a month ago, mobile service came out today and replaced my screen with a shiny new one. I have not received an invoice showing their internal part numbers, but I took a few pics of the back of the old and new screens after the old one was removed from the MCU..

Old: View attachment 459052

New: View attachment 459053

Rev C5? Wonder if thats what the ravens have

I don't think we have seen anyone report this on a vehicle newer than March, 2019. So probably too early to tell at this time.

I have a non-Raven P100D that was built April 2019 and it has notable yellowing already, which I first noticed a month or two ago. It may have been present longer, as I have the display in Night Mode at all times.