Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting how some disparage the UV fix, because in a few cases the yellow came back. They are demanding a brand new screen, even though those also tend to yellow again in a few years.

Seems like the proper thing is to try the UV fix first, if that does not work, then pressure Tesla for a replacement screen.

Some feel that the yellow screen issue is a petty first world problem. Something that someone lucky enough to be able to drive a Tesla Model S or X should be able to cope with.

It does suck to own a nice car since this is a true quality issue but its categorized as 1st World Problem (agree) or complainers ("Its a Tesla, just drive it!".

I developed the yellow border after 5 months (currently 12 months old) and still waiting for them to "fix" the issue in the Bay Area. Some SC have tools while the Virtual Service Advisor confirmed last month that they won't have the tool until next year. Yes, I agree that is BS but that's what they told me.

I know they are drastically reducing Good Will and Warranty Claims but this is just ridiculous. Wish the media or Elon put better priority on this quality issue.

I am not pedantic enough to worry about a very slight yellow line. So slight you would never notice it at all if you didnt know it used to be there. I would rather Telsa kept the $$$$ they would have to spend on new hardware and spent it on software development and/or keeping the business going.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
It does suck to own a nice car since this is a true quality issue but its categorized as 1st World Problem (agree) or complainers ("Its a Tesla, just drive it!".

I developed the yellow border after 5 months (currently 12 months old) and still waiting for them to "fix" the issue in the Bay Area. Some SC have tools while the Virtual Service Advisor confirmed last month that they won't have the tool until next year. Yes, I agree that is BS but that's what they told me.

I know they are drastically reducing Good Will and Warranty Claims but this is just ridiculous. Wish the media or Elon put better priority on this quality issue.

I have an appointment with Santa Clara SC on 22nd. Check with them.

Reactions: Supahr_Ed
I am not pedantic enough to worry about a very slight yellow line. So slight you would never notice it at all if you didnt know it used to be there. I would rather Telsa kept the $$$$ they would have to spend on new hardware and spent it on software development and/or keeping the business going.

Well, on my car, it's not a light yellow line. It's a yellow band that I first noticed when not looking for it. And the way Tesla has handled it is going to cost them a lot in customer loyalty and word of mouth.

Interesting how some disparage the UV fix, because in a few cases the yellow came back. They are demanding a brand new screen, even though those also tend to yellow again in a few years.

Seems like the proper thing is to try the UV fix first, if that does not work, then pressure Tesla for a replacement screen.

Some feel that the yellow screen issue is a petty first world problem. Something that someone lucky enough to be able to drive a Tesla Model S or X should be able to cope with.
Well I somewhat agree with you but if the car is still under factory warranty then I feel they have an obligation to repair or replace. The MS an MX is not the average priced car and if you have something that is obviously defective they should take care of it period end of story!

This "first world problem" framing of the issue is a manipulative distraction from the facts. By this crazy standard, the more you paid for an item, the less rights you have for the item to be as described. I'd say logic dictates the opposite. If I came across a salesman using this argument, I would consider he or she to be a crook and purchase nothing from them.

My concern is the faint yellow band becomes much darker over time and then the warranty is over? I'm not demanding a new screen but some type of fix?

Tesla obviously is aware of this problem, which is why they developed the UV fix tool. I don't think it's getting any traction in the media because it is not a safety issue and it is not a performance issue. It is correctly characterized as a cosmetic issue, IMHO.

With that said, it IS a faulty component that needs to be addressed under warranty. Think about Apple products, for example. When a "cosmetic issue" is discovered and it is pervasive enough to be categorized as systemic, they will institute a plan to replace / repair free of charge. This has happened many times with my own Apple products over the years. I can always rest assured that the problem will not come back with Apple.

The jury is still out as to whether the UV fix is permanent or just temporary and we'll all be coughing up some serious cash to fix permanently at some point. For that reason, I would recommend anyone who has this issue under warranty get it noted and save that documentation just in case it ever comes back.

Admittedly, mine is not nearly as bad as some of the other yellow-bands I have seen in this thread, but I do have them. Mine is getting the UV treatment on Wednesday and I'm hopeful that the problem will be solved. Either way, this is a costly enough component that I'm going to hang onto that documentation just in case it ever comes back. I also hope to get them to acknowledge that it is a warranty repair (not goodwill).