Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is there stance, and it's worth your time, see post #1, file the dispute and go through arbitration.

Do not under any circumstance pay for either of these fixes if your car is still under warranty.

I was very surprised. They changed my screen twice. Now the third screen starts to yellow as well albeit very slightly at the moment, so it is not a big deal yet.
My car has just gone out of warranty but I wonder how much warranty is on a new screen as it was changed last October.
I have no clue if arbitration is a possibility here in Canada

Just got the following VERY DISAPPOINTING reply to my request for replacement of my yellow-banded center screen:

Hello Mike,

Some owners have shared concerns regarding a yellow border forming around the edges of the touchscreen. Tesla has reviewed these cases and determined this is a wear and cosmetic condition and not a defect. This condition has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. This means Tesla has no obligation to replace the touchscreen under warranty. However, Tesla is in the process of releasing a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to reduce the yellowing condition. More information will be available soon regarding this procedure. Alternatively, owners may pay to replace the touchscreen with the latest revision that is not susceptible to this condition.

For any additional questions or concerns regarding this issue, I would recommend reaching out to your local Service Center, as they will be best equipped to advise. You can find their contact information listed on our website here: Find Us | Tesla.

We appreciate you being part of the Tesla family and for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Best Regards,

Christopher J | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

I got the same cut and paste response from Justin...

In my response to him, besides stating the obvious, I told him that I am going to the press, which I will do and encourage others to do the same.
At the end of the day, this will cost Tesla more + tarnished reputation,- news, which their competitors would love to hear, especially in the light of yesterday's news about quality control in Tesla 3 production...

In my opinion, it is not that imperative to force Tesla to replace one defective screen with another, but admit to the problem and cover the repair under the warranty, even if the vehicle is out of it already, once proven fix or new screen is available.

In my opinion, it is not that imperative to force Tesla to replace one defective screen with another, but admit to the problem and cover the repair under the warranty, even if the vehicle is out of it already, once proven fix or new screen is available.

Their response to me said that the newest version of the screen is NOT susceptible to this issue.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
My car has just gone out of warranty but I wonder how much warranty is on a new screen as it was changed last October.

The warranty for items repaired under warranty is normal the length of the remaining car warranty or 90 days which ever is longer. (Though I have heard that Tesla does it as 6 months, but I don't see that they have anything about that in their warranty documentation.)

This is not my experience. Tesla lawyer is telling me directly that he is going to claim in arbitration it is not covered under warranty, and that they do not have an obligation to fix.... only that they will offer a UV application out of good will.

The Truth... :cool:

Absolute utter shenanigans and scare tactics. NOT TRUE.
Of course they have an obligation, the reflex in solving this was clearly shown.
The sum of all these eradictations we witness the last two years is what will form the brand perception.
It already does. If Service & PR is in one hand, the fish stinks from the head.

The way this works in the German car industry:
You make sure that your supplier develops to specs. If they can´t keep those and/or operate within the durability limits it´s their full responsibilty.
What we witness here seems a smart supplier making sure his product is used within a target value. A value Tesla circumvented. Maybe by hotter operating conditions, maybe by choosing a lower quality from 2016 onwards (do I hear making up for Falcon wing losses....).

Anyway the displays didn´t yellow prior 2016, and Tesla seems to be weaseling backwards out as simple as that.

Last edited:
maybe by choosing a lower quality from 2016 onwards (do I hear making up for Falcon wing losses....).

Anyway the displays didn´t yellow prior 2016, and Tesla seems to be weaseling backwards out as simple as that.

The screens prior to 2016 didn't yellow, but they did leak and form bubbles between the display and touch screen. The new screens that yellow were probably an attempt to prevent the leaking/bubbling. (Which it appears to have done, but with a side effect.)

The screens prior to 2016 didn't yellow, but they did leak and form bubbles between the display and touch screen. The new screens that yellow were probably an attempt to prevent the leaking/bubbling. (Which it appears to have done, but with a side effect.)
I have a 2013 and it is yellowing. The yellowing is much worse than picture shows. And the screen/mcu has not been replaced before.

Attachments

• 2019.7.5 top of screen pic, night, close up.JPG
    2019.7.5 top of screen pic, night, close up.JPG
    356.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Maybe it is my monitor but I can't see any yellowing in that, unless you are saying it is even across the whole display. Maybe take a picture with the sketch pad up so it is against a white background?
It's odd. It is only visible at night and when the sketch pad is up you can't see it. I think it is a different yellowing then most are experiencing. Check out the top 1 inch of the screen with the "bars".

Attachments

• Inked2019.7.5 top of screen pic, night, close up_ red drawing.jpg
    Inked2019.7.5 top of screen pic, night, close up_ red drawing.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 85