Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they get everyone in to change screens there won’t be any service availability for a while..plus all the logistics to cover all the markets with parts. I was hoping the UV is working. Someone posted that it works even if you let the screen in the sun with the roof open. I had also seen posting with before and after and it looked clean.

My guess is that it won't work for every screen, some of them are really bad. They will probably end up replacing the really bad ones. And we don't know if the UV treatment will prevent the screens from getting to a state that is unrepairable.

I just received Tesla’s truly ridiculous response to my arbitration request.

“The customer hasn’t presented his vehicle for a repair”.

Astonishing. I’ve submitted documentation of requests for repair since February 2019. I even requested a service appointment a few days before I filed the arbitration request. I included documentation of both requests in my initial filing with NCDS.

Apparently this lawyer is going to try to use straight up lies in Tesla’s defense.

He also claims again that this isn’t a warranty issue. And that the issue is only present when the screen is off.

This should be an interesting hearing.

UPDATE:They tried the UV method. It does NOT 100% remove the yellowing, it makes it faint, maybe about 20% of what it was, but if you are looking for it you can 100% see it still, especially if you turn on sketchpad so the screen is white.

The manager tried to argue with me that it was reduced, but I pointed out the arbitration agreement stating it must be repaired.
They are now trying a second time I believe, which I don't think will make any more difference.
Ironically, trying to cheap out on the screen has cost them significantly more than just replacing it:
4 days of model s enterprise rental (dropped off on Friday)
$600 in uber credit (switch to this through Saturday)
Plus whatever arbitration costs them.

Very disappointing lack of customer service from Tesla... this will not end well :cool:

UPDATE:

They tried the UV method. It does NOT 100% remove the yellowing, it makes it faint, maybe about 20% of what it was, but if you are looking for it you can 100% see it still, especially if you turn on sketchpad so the screen is white.

The manager tried to argue with me that it was reduced, but I pointed out the arbitration agreement stating it must be repaired.

They are now trying a second time I believe, which I don't think will make any more difference.

Ironically, trying to cheap out on the screen has cost them significantly more then just replacing it:

4 days of model s enterprise rental (dropped off on Friday)
$600 in uber credit (switch to this through Saturday)
Plus whatever arbitration costs them.

I don't think this is about the cost to repair your one screen. Pretty sure they are hoping to get a satisfactory result and this will help for any future arbitration. They will simple argue that they will have them all repaired with this new UV system, that perhaps there is a queue, and that they are ramping up distribution of the repair.

I had my lawyer opt out of arbitration for me. Given the results people have posted, I'm personally okay with them. If I have to look real hard just to see it or use special modes to have a chance of seeing, then its not a problem for me.

Does anyone know if upgrading the MCU includes a screen replacement?

I don't think this is about the cost to repair your one screen. Pretty sure they are hoping to get a satisfactory result and this will help for any future arbitration. They will simple argue that they will have them all repaired with this new UV system, that perhaps there is a queue, and that they are ramping up distribution of the repair.

I had my lawyer opt out of arbitration for me. Given the results people have posted, I'm personally okay with them. If I have to look real hard just to see it or use special modes to have a chance of seeing, then its not a problem for me.

Does anyone know if upgrading the MCU includes a screen replacement?

Good luck with the temporary screen fix... :cool:

If you currently have MCU1, then an upgrade to MCU2 currently requires a screen replacement.

Astonishing. I’ve submitted documentation of requests for repair since February 2019. I even requested a service appointment a few days before I filed the arbitration request. I included documentation of both requests in my initial filing with NCDS.

Apparently this lawyer is going to try to use straight up lies in Tesla’s defense.

He also claims again that this isn’t a warranty issue. And that the issue is only present when the screen is off.

That's the same thing they told the OP. Is your response the EXACT same as his, verbatim?

I'd really like to see the before/after pictures from @testhrowaway's screen. (Since he said the yellow border is only 80% gone after the UV treatment.)

There is no MCU upgrade at this point so nobody knows. They could design just a new CPU daughterboard and leave all the rest of the MCU including the screen intact. Or they could never make a MCU2 upgrade.

I'm on AP hardware 2.5. If I purchase Full Self Driving, from my understanding, that comes with an upgrade to MCU3. I just don't know if they reuse the screen or not. I might not ever purchase FSD though. I have EAP so currently the features don't diverge yet.

I'm on AP hardware 2.5. If I purchase Full Self Driving, from my understanding, that comes with an upgrade to MCU3. I just don't know if they reuse the screen or not. I might not ever purchase FSD though. I have EAP so currently the features don't diverge yet.

No it would come with a HW3 AP computer upgrade. Your MCU would stay the same as it currently is. Either MCU1 if built before March, 2018, or MCU2 if it was built after. (The MCU and AP computer are completely separate units.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RecklessFury

I got the same despite attachments showing otherwise. And the Tesla lawyer quoted a post from this forum not directed to me. I would have thought that to be hearsay. I didn't know you could do that. But if they can I assume I can as well. I'm submitting as evidence virtually every post where someone quoted Tesla one way or another. Not to mention the many dozens of replaced screens under warranty reported by members here.

So sad what Tesla has evolved into. How the mighty have fallen...

Same deal here. Also awaiting arbitration. Same arguments, including the post from Bonnie's twitter - oddly enough, when I paid to have my screen replaced, this fix wasn't even a thing yet. And Tesla asserts that the screen "didn't come from the factory that way" (it was yellowing 90 days into ownership; does Tesla assert that I somehow exposed it to too much... something... in that period of time??)