Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Scotland and the car is nearly always in the garage when it is not in use.

We got the yellow borders after around 11,000 miles, 18 months.

So if it is caused by light exposure then it cannot be very much exposure.

I have not explored a warranty repair in the UK yet.

Reading above though Tesla appear to say that their policies change, well that may be so, but they cannot change the terms of the warranty after you buy the car. If it was covered by the warranty when you bought it then it remains covered.

I live in Scotland and the car is nearly always in the garage when it is not in use.

I have not explored a warranty repair in the UK yet...

From a UK perspective, Tesla would appear to have confirmed that the flaw was there from the date it was manufactured so even warranty expiry will not save them, as it is reasonable to expect a screen like this to remain unblemished for many years...

After further reflection, it was weird that the arbiter didn’t ask many questions or even seem interested in the case. I think it’s probably because he’s heard all the info before. Which makes me wonder how many arbitration requests NCDS is fielding on this topic (there appear to be many arbiters).

Reactions: St Charles

I have not explored a warranty repair in the UK yet.

Reading above though Tesla appear to say that their policies change, well that may be so, but they cannot change the terms of the warranty after you buy the car. If it was covered by the warranty when you bought it then it remains covered.
Scotland? In all seriousness, if it's extreme heat or light, I wouldn't think Scotland would have the issue pretty much ever.

If it's heat, that's generated by the MCU and the screen itself. It would be worse if the car is in a hot climate or left out in the sun a lot, of course, and thus occur more quickly in those situations.
Ah, makes sense. I've never noticed mine (MCU1) being warm, but then again in Houston it would have to sizzle when I touched it to even notice most of the year.

If it's heat, that's generated by the MCU and the screen itself. It would be worse if the car is in a hot climate or left out in the sun a lot, of course, and thus occur more quickly in those situations.

I was thinking about the sunlight issue. My latest round of yellowing occurred while the vehicle was parked in an airport parking garage for 5 days in late October in Virginia. I put the car in "low power mode" (display, cell connection, driving). I believe that disabled the A/C while the car was parked. The car was parked with the back pointed east, so the screen would have seen some sunlight - but not much (heavily shaded rear windows and blinds). However, the car would likely have been very hot in the morning, and very cool at night.

Maybe the yellowing was caused by sunlight prior to that week, but it seems much more likely related to cycles of heat and cold. As the yellow was definitely not present before that week, and was definitely visible (though not fully formed) after. Dunno... wild speculation.

Folks, So I took my car in for the service today. This was the appointment arranged by our good lawyer Ryan.
I have told them clearly that the repair should be listed as warranty, but they sent me an invoice an hour later which said that the repair is Good will service. I did not accept the invoice. I said I would just take the car back and go to the arbitration next week.
They corrected the invoice and sent me a new one :)
Feel free to use it in your cases if needed.
upload_2019-8-6_12-34-34.png

For those who have gone through this, do previous NCDS cases carry any weight? Like setting a precedence? Seems strange that each arbitrator might be left to their own impressions. I have one previously successful case #. I'm not aware of any cases settled in Tesla's favor.

Anyone actually have the car inspected? My face-to-face Wednesday says specifically to "bring the car". I hope they do look at it - turned the display back to "daytime" today and it is really bad. I will make the offer if they don't ask. Got the hi-res color photos.

I just hope I don't have to be Perry Mason - that's not my skillset. Wish me luck.

Reactions: re04586
This is unfair if many didnt get charged initially.dont you think?

Well, the warranty obligates them to fix this (even though Tesla disingenuously disagrees). I don’t regard the UV treatment as a fix, since Tesla has acknowledged its temporary. If Tesla had an actual fix that didn’t involve replacement, then the warranty allows that.

For those who have gone through this, do previous NCDS cases carry any weight? Like setting a precedence? Seems strange that each arbitrator might be left to their own impressions. I have one previously successful case #. I'm not aware of any cases settled in Tesla's favor.

Anyone actually have the car inspected? My face-to-face Wednesday says specifically to "bring the car". I hope they do look at it - turned the display back to "daytime" today and it is really bad. I will make the offer if they don't ask. Got the hi-res color photos.

I just hope I don't have to be Perry Mason - that's not my skillset. Wish me luck.

I didn't bring up the fact that others have had success using arbitration, because we don't know the stats from Tesla's side. They may have won more cases than we can prove that they lost.

I havn't received the results of my arbitration case yet, but I felt like my argument in favor of classifying this as a warranty issue went well. Basic points were....

1) There's a specific clause on page 5 of the warranty about covering manufacturer defects. And Tesla couldn't point to any "out clause" for the screen. There are other out clauses for tires, brakes etc. So I argued that there's no out clause, because it was never conceived that a screen is a wear part - because it isn't a wear part. And therefore it should be covered by the warranty.

2) There's no way a consumer could ever guess, and no Tesla customers were informed, that the screen is considered a wear part. There's not technical service bulletin (TSB) - and no indication in the manuals or other notices that point out that the screen is susceptible to sunlight damage.

3) There are millions of other cars on the road with screens, and this is not a common issue amongst other vendors or models. The model 3 for example does not suffer from the issue.

I did ok arguing that tesla should be repairing or replacing these screens immediately.

1) Tesla produces 1k+ Model S and Model X cars per week. They are now being produced with a new screen part that Tesla says does not suffer this issue. We know this, because Tesla wants us to buy that part for $1,300

2) We have been waiting for months. We have been given multiple stories (replacement screen, software update, uv fix, buy your own) - and there's no reason to believe that Tesla's current promises will be met. (Even the Tesla lawyer admitted this to be true in his arguments).

3) Tesla was previously replacing these screens without question. They suddenly changed their process and started this shenanigans. They could simply revert back to the proper policy of replacing the screens.

I probably failed to argue that the screens should be replaced and not repaired. I don't have hard evidence - but very strongly believe the UV fix to be temporary. I'm not sure any of my arguments there worked.

Hope that helps.

1) There's a specific clause on page 5 of the warranty about covering manufacturer defects. And Tesla couldn't point to any "out clause" for the screen. There are other out clauses for tires, brakes etc. So I argued that there's no out clause, because it was never conceived that a screen is a wear part - because it isn't a wear part. And therefore it should be covered by the warranty.

2) There's no way a consumer could ever guess, and no Tesla customers were informed, that the screen is considered a wear part. There's not technical service bulletin (TSB) - and no indication in the manuals or other notices that point out that the screen is susceptible to sunlight damage.

3) There are millions of other cars on the road with screens, and this is not a common issue amongst other vendors or models. The model 3 for example does not suffer from the issue.

This is great information. Thanks for sharing it!

I am curious when Tesla decided this is a wear and tear item. I would imagine most of us purchased our cars before that decision was made. It seems awfully sleazy to hold you to something being a wear item when Tesla themselves didn't consider it so at the time of purchase.

Tesla is the only car manufacture or consumer brand I have felt the need to save copies of my warranty, service invoices, and other paperwork along with screenshots of the website. Tesla seems to have no scruples when it comes to changing documentation/wording out from under owners to benefit themselves.

Folks, So I took my car in for the service today. This was the appointment arranged by our good lawyer Ryan.
I have told them clearly that the repair should be listed as warranty, but they sent me an invoice an hour later which said that the repair is Good will service. I did not accept the invoice. I said I would just take the car back and go to the arbitration next week.
They corrected the invoice and sent me a new one :)
Feel free to use it in your cases if needed.
View attachment 438489

I'm glad to see people holding them to this being a warranty issue. Calling it 'goodwill' is ridiculous. How is something 'goodwill' when you had to fight them to do anything to resolve the issue?

Reactions: testhrowaway