Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious when Tesla decided this is a wear and tear item. I would imagine most of us purchased our cars before that decision was made. It seems awfully sleazy to hold you to something being a wear item when Tesla themselves didn't consider it so at the time of purchase.
This reminds me of the iPhone battery situation from a few years ago, when the battery was getting a bit older they purposely slowed the CPU down so your phone ran like garbage. It wasn't necessary for them to do that and in the end they got caught out, but instead of handling it so poorly like Tesla is with this screen situation, Apple admitted they did wrong and offered new batteries at cost price with no installation charges, I think it was only about $30 or something.

So the offshoot is my own family was affected by this and we had three phones repaired by Apple. Sure they were deceitful to begin with and it burnt them, but at the end of the day we got new batteries in our phones, had a laugh they got caught out and are completely happy with the outcome and a couple of us have since upgraded to newer iPhones.

Tesla on the other hand, its come to customers involving lawyers to get warranty items replaced, this isn't going to end well long term for them, why can't they see that?

Tesla on the other hand, its come to customers involving lawyers to get warranty items replaced, this isn't going to end well long term for them, why can't they see that?

Arrogance?

Tesla seems to operate as if they can do whatever they please and expects their customers to just shut up and take it. It is the silicon valley startup tunnel vision on a grand scale. Tesla is out to change the world. It can't be bothered by such pedestrian matters as customer service and having a shred of integrity.

Arrogance?

Tesla seems to operate as if they can do whatever they please and expects their customers to just shut up and take it. It is the silicon valley startup tunnel vision on a grand scale. Tesla is out to change the world. It can't be bothered by such pedestrian matters as customer service and having a shred of integrity.

Didn’t used to be this way, and is still not across the board. MY point in pressing this issue and the other service oriented ones, is to help shift the balance back where it belongs. What’s that saying - it takes a village..

This reminds me of the iPhone battery situation from a few years ago, when the battery was getting a bit older they purposely slowed the CPU down so your phone ran like garbage. It wasn't necessary for them to do that and in the end they got caught out, but instead of handling it so poorly like Tesla is with this screen situation, Apple admitted they did wrong and offered new batteries at cost price with no installation charges, I think it was only about $30 or something.

So the offshoot is my own family was affected by this and we had three phones repaired by Apple. Sure they were deceitful to begin with and it burnt them, but at the end of the day we got new batteries in our phones, had a laugh they got caught out and are completely happy with the outcome and a couple of us have since upgraded to newer iPhones.

Apple slowed the CPU down so the phone wouldn’t randomly crash due to low voltage conditions when the old battery couldn’t provide the needed power. Their real issue was not letting people know what was going on, not that they had to slow the CPU down. In essence, it was a customer communications problem.

This is a gross mischaracterization of what happened, the reasons for it, and the outcome, filled with personal opinions stated as facts. Apple made a very reasonable engineering decision to improve the customer experience, but botched the PR by not informing customers about the engineering trade-off that was made.

If you are allowed to twist the facts to fit your narrative, why are you so hostile towards Tesla for your belief that they are doing the same thing that you just did?

I had my Arbitration hearing at noon. I was surprised that the Tesla representative was not present but participated by phone. One of the first statements was they had offered to fix my screen and in truth, I had been told no fix was available but I was on the list.

Tesla case: Just a normal appearance item not covered under warranty. This was followed by a 15 minute commercial. I thought the lawyer was very diplomatic and proper. In his closing, he said that Tesla would fix my screen or replace it in 30 days no matter what the outcome of the hearing. This is all I originally wanted but was never offered anything in the near term. The arbitrator offered us a chance to settle. I thought it was important to establish again that this was covered under warranty.. I had a hard time understanding why we were there if they were going to fix the screen. I guess they want to establish this as non-warranty event.

This car cost a lot of money and in a small town it gets a lot of attention. I do my best to keep it looking new. Yellow ring around the collar, I mean screen, does not reflect well on what a special car it is.

I had a hard time understanding why we were there if they were going to fix the screen. I guess they want to establish this as non-warranty event.

Probably so.

Their goal is to frame this as a goodwill fix, that way if it comes back, they are under no obligation to fix should their goodwill run out.

I’d continue to force the issue of it being a warrantable item.

I had my Arbitration hearing at noon. I was surprised that the Tesla representative was not present but participated by phone.
Mine was today @ 11 - sounds like a carbon copy meeting.

He did say there were currently "3 machines" but he had the authority to determine where they go. If it works out as expected, one of them will be in NC and another in OH soon. A "couple of dozen" were being manufactured.

And that's the real benefit here of arbitration, IMHO. We *finally* get some real communication from Tesla, hopefully a binding fix date (30 days), and repaired as a warranty item. I don't mind them trying the UV first - if it works, it's still under warranty. If not, they'll replace the screen immediately. At least, that's what I expect the ruling is going to say. They really shot themselves in the foot with this problem - 100% their doing.

Has anyone I Europe had some kind of arbitration?

As far as I am aware Tesla are not a voluntary member of the UK car industry Ombudsman scheme but the provider of the insurance backed extended warranty probably is. So no help there while still under the initial warranty.

... but... consumer law is a lot stronger here than it is in the USA and showing that this is a manufacturing defect isn't going to take too much effort given the statements Tesla have made to date along with the existence of a new replacement screen, different from the one originally fitted.

Got this response from service center today. I dropped my car yesterday for the repair.

"We are still working on the yellow border for the touchscreen. It hasn't completely removed with the fix that was given to us. We are connecting with engineers to see what the next step is. We will be in touch with you once I see more progress"

Meanwhile, the lawyer sent me an email asking to drop the case, since the car is in service. I asked him to wait until the issue is completely resolved.

I was given an enterprise loaner car yesterday. It had the yellow border too (thin, just starting) and the enterprise lady had no idea about it. I will educate her when I return the car. This issue is everywhere.

As others have noted Tesla is really botching this whole thing up with the yellow screens. It is clearly a warranty item. They should use the opportunity to thank customers for bringing their car in for service and reminding customers of the optional extended warranty.
When a customer is right in there getting something fixed under warranty it reminds them how valuable the warranty is. Doesn’t Tesla charge something like $4000 for the extended four year warranty? They’ve got to be making money on those extended warranties. They should fix the screens quickly and easily for the customer and then try to up-sell the customer on the extended warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Gonna take a whooooole lotta legal and arbitration fees before they spend more money than replacing a hundred thousand screens.

Elon,

Here's a smarter idea: assuming you cant go after the current/former vendor (perhaps because they told you the usage specs they were built to, but you ignored them?), SCOUR THE MARKET for a new one.

Knowing the approximate size of the needed MCU replacement set, plus future S and X builds, place a mega-order with the new vendor with correctly temperature-certified parts, and a strong "warranty returns" contract so Tesla won't be screwed again. Surely someone will want the business and can come to the table with a good offer given the size of the order?

From my eyes as a long-time Tesla owner, this is the best solution, and far, far better than wasting money on fighting arbitrations that just make Tesla look both stupid and cheap--which is a really bad look.

Get someone on this STAT please.

Thanks.

Reactions: erik_k