Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon,

Here's a smarter idea: assuming you cant go after the current/former vendor (perhaps because they told you the usage specs they were built to, but you ignored them?), SCOUR THE MARKET for a new one.

Knowing the approximate size of the needed MCU replacement set, plus future S and X builds, place a mega-order with the new vendor with correctly temperature-certified parts, and a strong "warranty returns" contract so Tesla won't be screwed again. Surely someone will want the business and can come to the table with a good offer given the size of the order?

From my eyes as a long-time Tesla owner, this is the best solution, and far, far better than wasting money on fighting arbitrations that just make Tesla look both stupid and cheap--which is a really bad look.

Get someone on this STAT please.

Thanks.

He doesn't give a *sugar* about the S. This design flaw has been known for years.

Elon,

Here's a smarter idea: assuming you cant go after the current/former vendor (perhaps because they told you the usage specs they were built to, but you ignored them?), SCOUR THE MARKET for a new one.

Knowing the approximate size of the needed MCU replacement set, plus future S and X builds, place a mega-order with the new vendor with correctly temperature-certified parts, and a strong "warranty returns" contract so Tesla won't be screwed again. Surely someone will want the business and can come to the table with a good offer given the size of the order?

From my eyes as a long-time Tesla owner, this is the best solution, and far, far better than wasting money on fighting arbitrations that just make Tesla look both stupid and cheap--which is a really bad look.

Get someone on this STAT please.

Thanks.

That would be a great solution if such a product actually existed, but that does not appear to be the case. I’m sure other manufacturers would also love to have a 17” touchscreen in their vehicles, but since there aren’t any automotive grade qualified 17” screens they aren’t able to offer a vehicle with one. Tesla took a risk and it backfired on them.

Reactions: whitex
He doesn't give a *sugar* about the S. This design flaw has been known for years.

If that were true why give free supercharging for S and X? And this design flaw didn’t exist for circa 2015 models. Don’t confuse me with an apologist - read my other posts about this. My original one said something to the effect of their approach to addressing was stupid and like putting lipstick on a pig.

I sounds like they are manufacturing more machines so they can correct the issue a quicker pace. Arbitration shouldn't be necessary unless you absolutely need it done in the next couple of months.

Mostly agree with important exception noted by others. If they deem this goodwill vs warranty, then they have no obligation to fix completely or repeat/replace if it fails. How they handle this is as much (for me) about whether I get another one or a different EV when my lease is up. They need to stand by their product, and be transparent about issues.

Reactions: N..8

Disagree.

He's just got a lot on his plate between moving SpaceX barges around, recovering launch fairings, Falcon Heavy launches, Starlink, replacement GF issues, 5 kids, 2 ex-wives, The Boring Company, Neuro AI, all the world's richest countries and industries trying to kill EV's, oh, and Tesla too . . . plus whatever I forgot to include in the list.

That would be a great solution if such a product actually existed, but that does not appear to be the case. I’m sure other manufacturers would also love to have a 17” touchscreen in their vehicles, but since there aren’t any automotive grade qualified 17” screens they aren’t able to offer a vehicle with one. Tesla took a risk and it backfired on them.
Disagree again.

It's 2019.

Surely there are host of screen suppliers that would give up their first born to be a Tesla supplier for this key component. If they were smart they would even sell them at a loss to Tesla just to get the business. (Tip: charge it to "Marketing.")

Supplier Street Cred doesn't get any better than solving a problem for Tesla.

BTW, I believe aviation screens are this size and larger now. They have far greater temperature, shock, vibration and pressure operating and storage specifications, or so I would posit.

This is a solvable problem, it's just taken far too long, and it's been handled, seemingly, by an idiot intern . . . .

• Funny
Reactions: erik_k and ucmndd
Yes, if you mean fixed under warranty.

No, if you are willing to accept a goodwill repair, at some point in time, which may or may not work, and which may only be temporary.

I feel we should not call it a repair, if it’s only temporary. And it may only treat the symptom, while doing nothing about the underlying cause. We need more transparency from Tesla to know for sure.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm not surprised.

Do you have pics of your screen before taking it in? I was curios as to the severity of the condition on yours.
Yes, I have them. But the intensity varied depending on the light.
It was worse as it came out of garage in the morning and then it reduces after driving for a while.
You can see the variation in between the first two and last two pics (they are with different background settings, but you can see the variation in yellowing)

Attachments

• Touch_screen_border (1).jpg
    Touch_screen_border (1).jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Touch_screen_border (3).jpg
    Touch_screen_border (3).jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Yellow_border_1 (1).jpg
    Yellow_border_1 (1).jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Yellow_border_1 (2).jpg
    Yellow_border_1 (2).jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 72
Disagree again.

It's 2019.

Surely there are host of screen suppliers that would give up their first born to be a Tesla supplier for this key component. If they were smart they would even sell them at a loss to Tesla just to get the business. (Tip: charge it to "Marketing.")

It’s fully hilarious to think that there are OEMs falling over each other to sell Tesla parts at a loss.

There are like ten companies that make LCD panels in the entire world. None of them give two squirts about the notoriety of providing a nameless OEM part to Tesla.

Yes, I have them. But the intensity varied depending on the light.
It was worse as it came out of garage in the morning and then it reduces after driving for a while.
You can see the variation in between the first two and last two pics (they are with different background settings, but you can see the variation in yellowing)

Thanks for sharing, the intensity of the yellow on yours are worse than mine.

Just got an email from Ryan.
"I got in touch with service center. Most (like almost all) screens are repairable but it appears yours isn't so we will replace it"

For those keeping score it is 2/2. There have been two reports of success with the UV treatment and two of failure (that I am aware of on both sides):

1) bonnie - Jun 28th - SUCCESS (MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!)
1) testhowaray - Jul 26th - FAILED (post #250)
3) Cricket88 - Jul 15th - SUCCESS (MCU Yellow Border - Fixed! post #177)
4) umamahesh999 - Aug 7th - FAILED (quoted post)

That doesn't seem like a great track record for the UV treatment. This is why arbitration is important. I'm pretty sure if you were to get lucky enough to get the UV treatment without arbitration looming over Tesla they would just tell you to shove it when it failed.

Last edited:
Disagree again.

It's 2019.

BTW, I believe aviation screens are this size and larger now. They have far greater temperature, shock, vibration and pressure operating and storage specifications, or so I would posit.

This is a solvable problem, it's just taken far too long, and it's been handled, seemingly, by an idiot intern . . . .

LOL. Worldwide shipments of LCD screens are > 750M per year. Tesla consumes at most 500k per year. Tesla is nothing more than an inconsequential speck of dust on an LCD vendor's customer list.

Tesla is also the first to throw a supplier under the bus at the first hint of any problem they have. No one wants that sort of publicity. The fact that Tesla hasn't thrown the LCD supplier under the bus by now with regards to the yellowing screen is surely indicative of something.

For those keeping score it is 2/2. There have been two reports of success with the UV treatment and two of failure (that I am aware of on both sides):

1) bonnie - Jun 28th - SUCCESS (MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!)
1) testhowaray - Jul 26th - FAILED (post #250)
3) Cricket88 - Jul 15th - SUCCESS (MCU Yellow Border - Fixed! post #177)
4) umamahesh999 - Aug 7th - FAILED (quoted post)

That doesn't seem like a great track record for the UV treatment. This is why arbitration is important. I'm pretty sure if you were to get lucky enough to get the UV treatment without arbitration looming over Tesla they would just tell you to shove it when it failed.

3/2 - mine was fixed also with the UV treatment (I posted elsewhere with before/after pics) and so far so good. The yellowing on my screen could only really be seen when the sun was directly hitting the MCU. In most other lighting conditions, it was hard to see the yellowing except on the sides (barely). Perhaps that's why the treatment worked on my screen. Perhaps once the yellowing gets past a certain point/intensity, the treatment doesn't work as well. Another theory is that there could be more than one cause for the yellowing; one that responds to the UV and one that does not.

3/2 - mine was fixed also with the UV treatment (I posted elsewhere with before/after pics) and so far so good. The yellowing on my screen could only really be seen when the sun was directly hitting the MCU. In most other lighting conditions, it was hard to see the yellowing except on the sides (barely). Perhaps that's why the treatment worked on my screen. Perhaps once the yellowing gets past a certain point/intensity, the treatment doesn't work as well. Another theory is that there could be more than one cause for the yellowing; one that responds to the UV and one that does not.

Sorry for missing it! Thanks. So 3/2.

5) dannycamps - Jul 12th - SUCCESS (Yellow Border post #249)

Yes, if you mean fixed under warranty.

No, if you are willing to accept a goodwill repair, at some point in time, which may or may not work, and which may only be temporary.
Assuming one waits, without going to arbitration, until more magic wands are manufactured, why can’t we still demand that the repair be stated as completed ‘under warranty’. Will Tesla absolutely refuse that and instead demand this be stated as a ‘goodwill’ repair?

IOW do we know for sure that arbitration is the only approach to get this done as a warranty service?

Assuming one waits, without going to arbitration, until more magic wands are manufactured, why can’t we still demand that the repair be stated as completed ‘under warranty’. Will Tesla absolutely refuse that and instead demand this be stated as a ‘goodwill’ repair?

IOW do we know for sure that arbitration is the only approach to get this done as a warranty service?

It’s your only guarantee to have this issue resolved for free in the future. Tesla is forcing this as good will, so that they can in the future refuse to provide a free fix. There’s no other reason they’d go through all this.

It’s your only guarantee to have this issue resolved for free in the future. Tesla is forcing this as good will, so that they can in the future refuse to provide a free fix. There’s no other reason they’d go through all this.

No amount of Tesla classifying it as a goodwill fix would prevent you from going for arbitration in the future if Tesla refused to continue to fix it during your warranty coverage.

Goodwill vs. warranty is mainly for accounting purposes. (Tesla has a long history of classifying warranty claims as goodwill.)