Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update to my issue. Like many here, I filed a case with NCDS and it was accepted. Ryan reached out to me yesterday and we have spent the better part of today working towards a mutually agreeable solution. Like many of you, I was concerned that the UV fix may not fully remove the discoloration and that I was not confident that Tesla would follow up in that case to replace the screen under warranty. To that end I pursued the following terms with Ryan and he has accepted these, pending my termination of the Arbitration case.

1) Repairs shall be completed within 30 days
2) A "successful" repair is defined as elimination of any visible screen discoloration in the affected areas
3) Tesla guarantees they will replace the screen under warranty should the repair fail to meet the mutually agreed “successful” repair standard per #2

I am satisfied that these terms are reasonable and should Tesla fail to live up to them, I will obviously re-file with NCDS and given the details of the thread, I would have a very strong case. Ryan assures me that they would wish to avoid any further arbitration and as long as I have acted in good faith, he would rather work with me and just replace the screen if I am unhappy with the repair than have me re-file.

I suggest anyone wishing to resolve this follow a similar approach and suggest these terms to Ryan to fast track the discussion.

I hope this is of help to you all.

I think this is very fair, and it will preserve your interests.

How did he accept these?
Did he just send an email to you? Or perhaps a letter on company letterhead?

I hope you have some kind of solid documentation of him agreeing to these terms, a gentleman's agreement over the phone would be useless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias and KArnold
The IC after is was removed by the mobile tech...(notice the band around the perimeter, most visible on right side)
View attachment 442708

This is an interesting photo. It looks like the discoloration follows the outline of the bezel as it curves up the side. My first thought was that this is evidence that maybe this issue really is caused by sunlight. However, it can't be that simple. I always assumed the yellow banding was around the perimeter of the touchscreen because that is the only place the glue is (total assumption on my part) but there is no reason the glue should follow the curve of the bezel and not be installed in a rectangular pattern. So... my best (mostly uninformed guess) is that this might be from heat/light being reflected off the black plastic bezel making that area more susceptible.

Reactions: PhilDavid
I think is very fair, and it will preserve your interests.

How did he accept these?
Did he just send an email to you? Or perhaps a letter on company letterhead?

I hope you have some kind of solid documentation of him agreeing to these terms, a gentleman's agreement over the phone would be useless.

Via email from a valid Tesla email address with valid, signed email headers.

My IC screen one month ago and yesterday.
IMG_20190715_085543.jpg
IMG_20190815_145031.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_085727.jpg
    IMG_20190715_085727.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20190815_145031.jpg
    IMG_20190815_145031.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 31
An update to my issue. Like many here, I filed a case with NCDS and it was accepted. Ryan reached out to me yesterday and we have spent the better part of today working towards a mutually agreeable solution. Like many of you, I was concerned that the UV fix may not fully remove the discoloration and that I was not confident that Tesla would follow up in that case to replace the screen under warranty. To that end I pursued the following terms with Ryan and he has accepted these, pending my termination of the Arbitration case.

1) Repairs shall be completed within 30 days
2) A "successful" repair is defined as elimination of any visible screen discoloration in the affected areas
3) Tesla guarantees they will replace the screen under warranty should the repair fail to meet the mutually agreed “successful” repair standard per #2

I am satisfied that these terms are reasonable and should Tesla fail to live up to them, I will obviously re-file with NCDS and given the details of the thread, I would have a very strong case. Ryan assures me that they would wish to avoid any further arbitration and as long as I have acted in good faith, he would rather work with me and just replace the screen if I am unhappy with the repair than have me re-file.

I suggest anyone wishing to resolve this follow a similar approach and suggest these terms to Ryan to fast track the discussion.

I hope this is of help to you all.

This sounds absolutely reasonable. Glad you were able to work out a reasonable arrangement.

If they extend these terms to everyone affected, this would no longer be an issue, as the simple terms outlines are fair and reasonable.

The only weird thing is do you have to file an arbitration case in order to reach this reasonable resolution?

They should offer these terms to everyone and put this whole mess to rest.

wow, that's awful. Is the IC screen yellow at the top too?
Getting there. Give it another month...

$150K car... I can't believe it.

I have to spend all this time to prove that they have a shitty product (s) and if I'm lucky, they will replace it with the same one, which will go bad in another couple of months?!
At least be honest with me and say: "Dear xxxx, we're aware of the issues with MCU and IC screens and will be in touch once the replacement is available..."
I was always telling the people working with me, be honest with the customer, they will take the bad news just fine, as long as you're honest. Don't BS...

At this point I'm seriously considering moving back to ICE, but even can't trade in the car with that...

From Tesla:

"Thank you for the response and the pictures. Currently we are not replacing these screens under warranty. We understand this is not something that you care to see at the bottom of the screen and are looking into other possible fixes through software updates. If you would like to replace the screen, you can absolutely do so, but it would not be covered under the warranty and you would be billed for the repair. I recommend following our blog for updates on this issue and to watch for any announcements related to resolving the yellow around the border."

Last edited:
From Tesla:

"Thank you for the response and the pictures. Currently we are not replacing these screens under warranty. We understand this is not something that you care to see at the bottom of the screen and are looking into other possible fixes through software updates. If you would like to replace the screen, you can absolutely do so, but it would not be covered under the warranty and you would be billed for the repair. I recommend following our blog for updates on this issue and to watch for any announcements related to resolving the yellow around the border."

Translation - "shove it"

I'm surprised they took the time to write that paragraph.

Reactions: KyleDay
They should offer these terms to everyone and put this whole mess to rest.

Agree 100%.

They are simply gambling that the costs to only offer this to those that threaten arbitration is less than the costs of repairing thousands of screens. To their credit, that calculation so far is probably correct.

Although, they might not be considering reputation damages and the loss of future sales from their most loyal customers into the math so far.

Getting there. Give it another month...

$150K car... I can't believe it

From Tesla:

is there anyone that believes this is NOT a warranty issue?

is there anyone that believes this is NOT a warranty issue?

The lawyer for Tesla seems to firmly believe it isn't a warranty issue.

In all seriousness, this is obviously a warranty issue. Tesla is making themselves look ridiculous by trying to argue that it is not. Sure, you might save a few bucks today but customers will remember how you treated them. At the very least they could have a better reply that doesn't insult the customer by saying it is a wear item and caused by the sun.

The lawyer for Tesla seems to firmly believe it isn't a warranty issue.

In all seriousness, this is obviously a warranty issue. Tesla is making themselves look ridiculous by trying to argue that it is not. Sure, you might save a few bucks today but customers will remember how you treated them. At the very least they could have a better reply that doesn't insult the customer by saying it is a wear item and caused by the sun.

So Tesla is willfully breaking federal warranty laws