Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting there. Give it another month...

$150K car... I can't believe it.

I have to spend all this time to prove that they have a shitty product (s) and if I'm lucky, they will replace it with the same one, which will go bad in another couple of months?!
At least be honest with me and say: "Dear xxxx, we're aware of the issues with MCU and IC screens and will be in touch once the replacement is available..."
I was always telling the people working with me, be honest with the customer, they will take the bad news just fine, as long as you're honest. Don't BS...

At this point I'm seriously considering moving back to ICE, but even can't trade in the car with that...

From Tesla:

"Thank you for the response and the pictures. Currently we are not replacing these screens under warranty. We understand this is not something that you care to see at the bottom of the screen and are looking into other possible fixes through software updates. If you would like to replace the screen, you can absolutely do so, but it would not be covered under the warranty and you would be billed for the repair. I recommend following our blog for updates on this issue and to watch for any announcements related to resolving the yellow around the border."

Utterly unbelievable customer service.

Someone is out of their mind to write something as insane as this?

"Currently we are not replacing these screens under warranty."

YES, Elon, YOU WILL BE REPLACING ALL OF THESE SCREENS UNDER WARRANTY so please add the following:

" . . . but we will be replacing them, hopefully by the EOY or Q1 2020, as we work with new suppliers to fully validate the robustness of the replacement screens.

We fully understand that this is a poor outcome and an embarrassment to our customers. This is not what Tesla customers should endure or expect.

To make up for this shortfall in our product quality we will extend the warranty on both screens on the Model S and X to 8-years, unlimited mileage, and we will also provide all owners with a No-Cost Annual Service for use on your schedule, but NLT 2022.

Thank you for your patience while we work through this supplier issue."

Utterly unbelievable customer service.

Someone is out of their mind to write something as insane as this?

"Currently we are not replacing these screens under warranty."

YES, Elon, YOU WILL BE REPLACING ALL OF THESE SCREENS UNDER WARRANTY so please add the following:

" . . . but we will be replacing them, hopefully by the EOY or Q1 2020, as we work with new suppliers to fully validate the robustness of the replacement screens.

We fully understand that this is a poor outcome and an embarrassment to our customers. This is not what Tesla customers should endure or expect.

To make up for this shortfall in our product quality we will extend the warranty on both screens on the Model S and X to 8-years, unlimited mileage, and we will also provide all owners with a No-Cost Annual Service for use on your schedule, but NLT 2022.

Thank you for your patience while we work through this supplier issue."
I think it's obvious, Elon is not a solution, he is the problem.

Quick question. Are there screens not affected for the screens we know should yellow?

I have a 2016 S, and 2 my neighbors have 2016 S, 2016 X, 2017 S. No yellowing yet, but we are in San Diego, so no high heat or cold, or humidity, but lots of sunshine. Glad my screen isn't yellowing, but I would like to take Ryan on in arbitration. I'll be out of warranty in April, so maybe, we'll get acquainted in court.

I have this issue in the UK on both the centre screen and the dash screen, it appeared directly after an update before the summer and has gotten progressively worse throughout the summer.
Talking Tesla - The Bad & The Ugly!

An update to my issue. Like many here, I filed a case with NCDS and it was accepted. Ryan reached out to me yesterday and we have spent the better part of today working towards a mutually agreeable solution. Like many of you, I was concerned that the UV fix may not fully remove the discoloration and that I was not confident that Tesla would follow up in that case to replace the screen under warranty. To that end I pursued the following terms with Ryan and he has accepted these, pending my termination of the Arbitration case.

1) Repairs shall be completed within 30 days
2) A "successful" repair is defined as elimination of any visible screen discoloration in the affected areas
3) Tesla guarantees they will replace the screen under warranty should the repair fail to meet the mutually agreed “successful” repair standard per #2

I am satisfied that these terms are reasonable and should Tesla fail to live up to them, I will obviously re-file with NCDS and given the details of the thread, I would have a very strong case. Ryan assures me that they would wish to avoid any further arbitration and as long as I have acted in good faith, he would rather work with me and just replace the screen if I am unhappy with the repair than have me re-file.

I suggest anyone wishing to resolve this follow a similar approach and suggest these terms to Ryan to fast track the discussion.

I hope this is of help to you all.

What if the yellowing comes back after a time? I'd also want their guarantee that it won't in the next few years.

What if the yellowing comes back after a time? I'd also want their guarantee that it won't in the next few years.

You will not get any guarantee from them when we are having a hard time getting them to fix the defective screens during warranty.Some cars with this issue are barely a year old.

They should fix or replace defective displays during the warranty period. If the service center balks, you can file arbitration and get to know the outstanding human being who is Ryan, and if that does not work, you can explore other options as well.

Hopefully they will get ahead of this mess by doing the right thing by offering the UV fix and if that does not work, replacement of the display during the warranty period.

Last edited:
From Tesla:
"Thank you for the response and the pictures. Currently we are not replacing these screens under warranty. We understand this is not something that you care to see at the bottom of the screen and are looking into other possible fixes through software updates. If you would like to replace the screen, you can absolutely do so, but it would not be covered under the warranty and you would be billed for the repair. I recommend following our blog for updates on this issue and to watch for any announcements related to resolving the yellow around the border."

So let me ask my fellow yellow bordered MS owners something. How does one ‘repair’ something that isn’t broken? They used the word ‘repair’. To me that implies something that isn’t functioning as designed.

This entire thing is absolutely surreal.

Reactions: St Charles
I have a 2016 S, and 2 my neighbors have 2016 S, 2016 X, 2017 S. No yellowing yet, but we are in San Diego, so no high heat or cold, or humidity, but lots of sunshine. Glad my screen isn't yellowing, but I would like to take Ryan on in arbitration. I'll be out of warranty in April, so maybe, we'll get acquainted in court.

I read this thread last week thinking "glad this hasn't happened to me". Literally a couple of days later I was driving and noticed now mine is doing it. It literally happened overnight. My car is out of warranty, so at this point I'm not sure what the heck I can even do about it (or just live with it?!)

I read this thread last week thinking "glad this hasn't happened to me". Literally a couple of days later I was driving and noticed now mine is doing it. It literally happened overnight. My car is out of warranty, so at this point I'm not sure what the heck I can even do about it (or just live with it?!)

If my screen yellows out of warranty, I would ask a fewTesla service centers to fix the screen, at no cost, as it is a manufacturing defect. Get turned down and document everything. Document that Tesla was warrantying this in the beginning, and stopped when they realized that those new screens yellowed also. Then show that Tesla began to claim this was a cosmetic issue and not covered under warranty to avoid their responsibility. Document all the ridiculous excuses they have used to turn down claims, wear item, sunlight, humidity, and others. Document that only the lost arbitration cases forced them to change their stance. Document Pics of others screens. When my screen was ugly enough, I would file in small claims court. I would ask in court if the adhesive that is yellowing is approved for use in automobiles, and warrantied as such to Tesla, and who applied it. I would ask if the touch screen is considered automotive grade by the manufacturer and guarantied as such to Tesla. Same question for the LCD. If the answer to any of these is no, then, if not , why not. I would ask if yellow screens are considered industry standard throughout the auto industry and accepted by manufacturers and consumers.
This is what I would do if my screen yellows out of warranty, and not legal advise to anyone else.

I know there are mixed feelings about class actions on here but this is something one would help with. It could be ruled that Tesla needs to fix/replace all defective screens regardless of warranty status.

My warranty runs out in less than a year. I am very interested in exploring my options to make sure Tesla is required to fix their clearly defective part even once the warranty is over. They have knowingly been selling cars with a defective part. They have been acting in bad faith to their customers and should be on the hook to make it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
I’m not sure if this is yellowing or something else. Anyone know?

Attachments

• 74D84CEF-6CCB-40C6-A6CE-0DED3FDFE2D0.jpeg
    74D84CEF-6CCB-40C6-A6CE-0DED3FDFE2D0.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 88

Often times part of the resolution is they will fix or replace the covered defective part, and that's really what anyone affected with this wants.

In fact it seems by going through arbitration, customers can now have the defective screens fixed and if that does not work, they will replace -- as they should.

You will not get any guarantee from them when we are having a hard time getting them to fix the defective screens during warranty.Some cars with this issue are barely a year old.

They should fix or replace defective displays during the warranty period. If the service center balks, you can file arbitration and get to know the outstanding human being who is Ryan, and if that does not work, you can explore other options as well.

Hopefully they will get ahead of this mess by doing the right thing by offering the UV fix and if that does not work, replacement of the display during the warranty period.

Note, I'm talking about a settlement agreement, not what the service department will agree to.

My problem is, my extended service agreement has less than a year and a half left on it. I'm worried that the UV "repair" might be temporary. and I want a permanent fix. If Ryan is saying the UV treatment is permanent, maybe Tesla is willing to put their money where their mouth is and give some extra warranty for that one issue. It would cost them nothing if Ryan is correct about the UV treatment being permanent, so why not put that in the settlement agreement to avoid arbitration?