Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for this very helpful post. I have filed my claim.

I love the car, but Tesla is lead by executives that clearly believe it is perfectly fine to outright lie to their prospects and customers. They have been doing it for years with claims of current and future capabilities of the autopilot and apply the same low-integrity decision making to their warranty obligations.

Evidence of their misinformation can be found on their website today. I have attached an image of the order form that has been on their site for over 6 months claiming that "your car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really!"

This claim is NOT listed as a future capability. They have been selling this feature for at least 6 months as if it exists and will be delivered with your car. When I pointed that out to Tesla in Orlando while picking up my Model X In April, they said "That's strange, that feature does not exist yet."
It does exist for a number of customers. It just "almost doesn't suck" at the moment. I do expect enhanced summon by the end of the year, but even then, I wouldn't trust it completely.

Reactions: Holo
When I pointed that out to Tesla in Orlando while picking up my Model X In April, they said "That's strange, that feature does not exist yet."

Well, it does - but it hasn't been released to the general public yet. I am really waiting for this functionality but I know it's just a party trick to impress people and probably something I wouldn't use too much. In that sense, I would much rather wait for the logic to be perfected than have my car run over a small child who darts in front of it in a parking lot.

Well, it does - but it hasn't been released to the general public yet. I am really waiting for this functionality but I know it's just a party trick to impress people and probably something I wouldn't use too much. In that sense, I would much rather wait for the logic to be perfected than have my car run over a small child who darts in front of it in a parking lot.

The point is not whether the phantom feature is reliable, it is that Tesla is outright lying to people when they order their vehicles. They list the feature as something that comes with the car. They do not say "a reliable version may be available at some time in the future", they state "...will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really!"

No, not "really". It really does not come with the car. They just think it is OK to lie to people about it. What other major corporation gets away with such deception on AN ORDER FORM? It's amazing.

Just had a conversation today with a former senior Tesla SC mechanic, so take this in context. He sounded credible and said he was very familiar with the situation. I asked if it was the screen or the adhesive - he said it was definitely the screen. However if so I'm not sure how a UV light would fix it if it's not related to the curing process.

FWIW.

Short wavelength UV has the power to break chemical bonds. So if a compound has formed which has a color, the UV light can break down that compound and remove the color.

I don't know how the problem could be in the plastic of the touch screen unless the adhesive has chemically altered the plastic. The LCD is layers of glass, so it wouldn't be that. Glass is very inert. Most likely the adhesive has either reacted with the plastic touch screen or the adhesive itself had changed over time. In either case the problem is someone either tried a new combination or used an existing combination in a new way (like in the temperature extremes of a car) so the color showed up.

Either way it is a defect in materials.

Not if the materials are chosen to be in the sun. This is a simple matter of poor materials. What is odd is the way it fails at very different rates for some and not at all for others.

My guess is that the UV lamps that were used to cure the product when it was assembled weren't replaced often enough. (UV lights lose some of their output as they age.) As such screen assemblies made after a fresh set of UV lamps were put in would be fine, and screens made just before they were replaced might not have been fully cured.

I think that would explain why some are just fine and others come out of the box with the yellow border.

• Informative
Reactions: kyne and VT_EE
My guess is that the UV lamps that were used to cure the product when it was assembled weren't replaced often enough. (UV lights lose some of their output as they age.) As such screen assemblies made after a fresh set of UV lamps were put in would be fine, and screens made just before they were replaced might not have been fully cured.

I think that would explain why some are just fine and others come out of the box with the yellow border.
And if that was the case the supplier would be 100% at fault.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Does anyone have ideas or designs on hacking together a DIY UV lamp for this purpose?

I’m well out of warranty and my second screen is now yellowing like the first one did. I’d be willing to throw a few bucks at something like this just for the fun of it but I’m not really sure where to start on the type of bulb/fixture might yield the best results.

Hi!

So they finally replaced my damaged bezels. Looks great now.

That said:

Two things I noticed at the Burlingame service center on pickup:

1. While I was waiting for pickup, there were maybe 4 employees standing around the counter not actively helping customers totally ignoring the phone ringing. It rang for FOUR seperate calls, and they 100% ignored it.
  2. They added this sign to the window. This seems like a GREAT IDEA when your service centers are incredibly backed up and short staffed. Also great for customers that actually have to work.
    20190909_150708.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi!

So they finally replaced my damaged bezels. Looks great now.

That said:

Two things I noticed at the Burlingame service center on pickup:

1. While I was waiting for pickup, there were maybe 4 employees standing around the counter not actively helping customers totally ignoring the phone ringing. It rang for FOUR seperate calls, and they 100% ignored it.
  2. They added this sign to the window. This seems like a GREAT IDEA when your service centers are incredibly backed up and short staffed. Also great for customers that actually have to work. View attachment 452873
Competition fixes this. Too bad there's no competition for Tesla service in Tesla land. Also, this is likely why I will never buy Tesla insurance - if I have to rely on Tesla service AND insurance for a claim I'd lose my mind. You can't even call a human being to get help.

My screen was replaced late last year or early this year due to the bubbling/leak and I noticed the yellow border at the start of summer. It happened while I was parked at work, seemingly within a few hours. My yellow border wasn’t that bad but I recently brought it in for the UV fix since the car had other issues. I got it back a couple of weeks and it looks like the top border is coming back.

My screen was replaced late last year or early this year due to the bubbling/leak and I noticed the yellow border at the start of summer. It happened while I was parked at work, seemingly within a few hours. My yellow border wasn’t that bad but I recently brought it in for the UV fix since the car had other issues. I got it back a couple of weeks and it looks like the top border is coming back.

Sorry to hear this news... let us know if Tesla will cover this issue under the warranty for your replacement screen.

So my saga continues in my efforts to get my yellowing screen repaired. Initially I had 2 mobile service can appointments cancelled for a screen replacement. This was during the transition period when Tesla went from replacing to repairing. Both appointments were cancelled on the day of the appointment. Of course.

Fast forward to today. I traveled one hour in rush hour traffic for the repair procedure only to arrive and be told, “I’m so sorry, the tool is broken. We tried it on one car and it failed”.

Of course nobody called, nobody emailed, nothing. With viable competition arriving, Tesla better upgrade this service system and do it quickly. I got better service with our old Sonata PHEV. Color me disgusted.