Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I loved the car dynamics, I hated the build quality and especially customer care.

I completely agree with you.
This is not how i envisioned a car company treat its customers who purchased a car which have price tags close to ours.

Definitely a complete different experience taking my Tesla In vs a Benz S65.
Even on my brothers Lexus they offered to replace the anti glare on his screen because it was fading for free, no questions asked, no "good will service".

I have said this many times, and a lot of tesla owners will agree, Love the car, Detest the company, as they have no idea how to keep customers happy, and think video games and fart machines will keep us silent.

Audi RS5 SB

nice... there was times where i regret getting my car and not a RS7... sigh....
It would of still been cheaper then my P100D.

Is that what you’re getting? Awesome choice, it’s a brutal vehicle with insane build quality.

I ended up buying an A5 to save/invest money and bridge the gap until e-tron GT arrives. Perfect enough for my needs. And well, if that ends up being garbage, I can wait for a few more years, too until Taycan comes down to below $100k :D

I completely agree with you.
This is not how i envisioned a car company treat its customers who purchased a car which have price tags close to ours.

Definitely a complete different experience taking my Tesla In vs a Benz S65.
Even on my brothers Lexus they offered to replace the anti glare on his screen because it was fading for free, no questions asked, no "good will service".

I have said this many times, and a lot of tesla owners will agree, Love the car, Detest the company, as they have no idea how to keep customers happy, and think video games and fart machines will keep us silent.

nice... there was times where i regret getting my car and not a RS7... sigh....
It would of still been cheaper then my P100D.

I owned tuned 2016 S6 and was pretty much set on getting the RS5 SB within couple of months, when I stopped by Tesla... The savings (almost $68K off sticker, inventory car) was too hard to pass...
Again, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't buy it...

I guess the last drop was last week, when driving on the local roads I realized how much rattling and squeaking I can hear in the cabin, since it got colder. After that on highway the amount of wind noise..., have difficulty even pinpointing where it is coming from, dr side window, top of windshield... Mind you it is a new car with only 15 k miles!

I guess, I still can't complain, even saved some $$ on getting fully loaded RS5.
Well, at least I know that if I need help with Audi, someone will pick up the phone at the dealer.

The plan is drive it until E-Tron GT will become available, then we'll see

Reactions: darxsys
For those of you who would like a nice DIY solution to the yellow border problem... here is an interesting fix! :cool:

Cross-post from ucmndd: DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDWKNMK?tag=tmc064-20

51yscwHfBJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

My late 2016 Model S was one of the earlier cars to exhibit the infamous yellow ring on the 17” MCU screen. I had it replaced early on, right before my warranty expired, before the prevalence of the problem was really known. Now about a year and a half later, the replacement screen has once again yellowed and I’m well out of warranty, about to turn 100,000 miles. I’m far from a service center, have no idea if Tesla would charge me for the UV treatment, if they even have the tool, and frankly don’t have the time or interest to fight with their service organization about it.

But hey, it’s just UV light, right? How hard could this be? I did a little research and determined that most adhesives for glass bonding are cured with UV light in the 365-400nm range. After a little poking around on Amazon looking for a reasonably powerful light in that spectrum, I settled on this bad boy for $35: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDWKNMK

It arrived the next day and I set out to fashion a rig of sorts (read: stack of cardboard boxes) to position the light in front of the screen and see what happened. I took some basic precautions to cover the dash with towels - didn’t want to risk yellowing the lacquer on the wood dash parts or anything.
Long story short, it’s dark now so hard to know for certain but first impression is that after 4 hours of baking the yellowing is dramatically reduced, but not quite gone. I’m going to examine things in the daylight tomorrow and based on what I see do another 4-6 hours and reassess. As of now I’m quite pleased with the results for $35 and am reasonably certain it will get even better with a little more time.

Before:
View attachment 481061
View attachment 481062
View attachment 481063

Shots of my “rig”:

View attachment 481064
View attachment 481065
View attachment 481066

After:

View attachment 481067

I know it’s kinda hard to see the results in the pics, but it looks markedly better in person. Will try and get some better shots tomorrow.

Last edited:
your one of the lucky few.

Just came back from service.
They got rid of the yellow borders, the screen is clear again.

I got my HW3 update, had to calibrate the sensors all over again which was a pain in the butt, but just took the car driving on the freeway for about 20 miles and that calibrated it.
(i highly recommend you calibrate it on the freeway, as on local streets, the sensors seem to crawl vs the freeway)

Was told no fix for the IC, i could try back in a few months, but meh, honestly the yellow borders on the IC is very faint and almost unnoticeable compared to the MCU. So i guess i can wait, my car is warranted for the next 7 yrs anyhow with the tesla extended warranty.

Given the company's track record and knowing what I know now, I myself would not allow them to keep kicking the can down the road. I would get in writing the refusal to honor the new car warranty and threaten arbitration / lemon law action if they won't budge.

The yellow glue issue showed up in my Model S well less than a year into ownership and I allowed the company to keep stalling. When I eventually sold the car, it still was not fixed and I had to disclose this to buyers, which was clearly a detriment to resale value. I didn't know this at the time, but my state includes value-diminishing defects as part of lemon law criteria. If I had known, I would have attempted to go this route.

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
For those of you who would like a nice DIY solution to the yellow border problem... here is an interesting fix! :cool:

Cross-post from ucmndd: DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDWKNMK?tag=tmc064-20

51yscwHfBJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I really admire this gentleman... However, the mere existence of his thread speaks volumes. There's also an image of his car being treated, where the tool is placed in the big carton box... Priceless...
Reminds me of my life in the USSR, where to get parts, any parts was impossible... You have no idea, how creative ppl would get to fix their cars. Some of the ideas were simply brilliant!

The new UV treatment (and snippits of info from SC) indicates the issue is epoxy yellowing due to Oxygen exposure plus temperature. Root cause on that is either material selection, curing, or secondary sealing.

You are probably right about that comment and I don't know enough about this particular subject to say otherwise, but I wonder why my yellow screen border suddenly appeared rather than gradually. It literally happened in a period of hours in normal day time temperature. So I am a bit baffled.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I repaired my own with the $14 nail cure light recommended by others. Took two sessions with the light on overnight, but now perfect. Easier than taking it to the Service Center 90 miles away. I'll give/loan my light to anyone on the central coast that wants to try their own cure.

Reactions: Ken7
We've been waiting over a year for the fix and were finally able to get something scheduled at our SC last week. Keeping my fingers crossed that the treatment actually works and is persistent.

Getting to this point has been nothing short of a a herculean effort. From the very start, Tesla assured me that they would contact me as soon as the UV equipment was available at the SC. Many months later, I started hearing from friends who owned Teslas who had just gotten the treatment done at our SC. What the heck Tesla?!

Each time I tried to set up an appointment it was subsequently canceled by Tesla. They gave the same story each time: the equipment hadn't arrived yet. How did my friends get their treatments if this magical equipment hadn't arrived?

As it turns out, apparently the equipment had arrived (wonder why they never called me?) and had subsequently broken. They had to wait for new equipment to arrive and supposedly that's when I just happened to be trying to schedule my appointments.

Tesla has a lot of room for improvement in the communications department. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. It's a huge failing on their part. It pisses off existing customers and it's just plain bad business.

Eliminating even more humans from the process is NOT the right move. Our local SC used to have the front desk staffed. Now they've switched to iPads for check in. You just walk into an empty room, check in on the iPad, and hope that a human shows up. Cost cutting measures? I have no idea, but it's an incredibly poor customer experience any way you slice it. It's the physical equivalent of a foreign call center.

I'm not sure if it really means much of anything, but the yellow ring of inadequacy on my MCU1 has faded to the point that you can't see it any longer. I didn't do anything different or have it "repaired", though it was a lot less severe than some of the pictures I've seen of others.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm not sure if it really means much of anything, but the yellow ring of inadequacy on my MCU1 has faded to the point that you can't see it any longer. I didn't do anything different or have it "repaired", though it was a lot less severe than some of the pictures I've seen of others.
This would be the first case of a ‘self-healing’ display that I’ve heard of. ;)