Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my 2016 S that I bought from Tesla a little over a week ago back after the UV treatment. It was 100% effective. Scheduled the appt last Tuesday, went in today. Bakersfield SC said it’s the first time they’ve used the UV tool.

Attachments

• 72E411C4-178D-48A7-85B9-26F241C3B656.jpeg
    72E411C4-178D-48A7-85B9-26F241C3B656.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Anyone have a yellowed instrument cluster (IC) display repaired by a SC yet? I requested repair of both screens in 2019, and they UV repaired the main screen.

In January 2020, I requested repair of the IC screen a second time. The SC looked up the issue and indicated a repair tool is in progress, but they had no estimate for when it will be ready. I have been looking at a yellowed IC for almost a year now.

I realize that Tesla is new company out to battle the richest, most vile corporations on the planet (fossil fuel companies that rape the planet, lie like Hell, and place our entire future at risk, all for their profits), and yet with all of Tesla's brilliance, we still have "Screengate."

How is Elon not embarrassed by this, and other customer service gaffs of such epic proportion?

I guess everyone has a chink in their armor somewhere. Thank heavens the good outweighs the bad, but wow.

Sigh.

How is Elon not embarrassed by this, and other customer service gaffs of such epic proportion?
It's simple, he just pretends the problem doesn't exist, at least publicly. If asked about failures, undelivered features, or complete BS marketing numbers, he simply ignores the questions or says "Boooooorrrrrriiiiing! Next question!", or sometimes says "this should be fixed now" even when it is not, or straight out lies like when he told investors everyone who takes their Tesla for service gets a P100D loaner - was never, ever true, but you know, Elon's truth's are special - as long as they are true in Elon's head, they are absolute truths. If you are a reporter, asking about such things of Elon will land you banned for life.

This is very similar to the way Trump deals with issues like this. Must be using the same playbook.

I heard that Dedham, MA, had the UV machine back in operation. Yesterday I went to schedule an appointment for my S and was able to get one for this morning. 2.5 hours later the car was done and it was 100% effective. I already had the screen replaced 20 months ago for the yellow border, and that took overnight to complete. So it was definitely easier with the UV machine.

Now I need to schedule my X for the same treatment.

Reactions: captjoemcd
I heard that Dedham, MA, had the UV machine back in operation. Yesterday I went to schedule an appointment for my S and was able to get one for this morning. 2.5 hours later the car was done and it was 100% effective. I already had the screen replaced 20 months ago for the yellow border, and that took overnight to complete. So it was definitely easier with the UV machine.

Now I need to schedule my X for the same treatment.

Good to know, I guess I should schedule mine since Dedham is a bit closer than Watertown.

This is a recent event?

Our club has a UV box we pass around to totally eliminate the yellow. It's really not an issue any more except to those who hate Tesla and want legislation instead of wanting to fix their problem. Tesla has not sued the supplier for failing to fully develop the glue.

Reactions: KArnold
Did the UV treatment not work for you?
Not at all. There was no change from taking it to them to picking it up. Arbitration actually denied my claim despite all the evidence of a known common failure. I was also able to question the Tesla attorney during the arbitration and that was fun. Tesla attorney stated it is not a common failure, and it was caused by environmental factors. I asked "Did Tesla create a machine for every service center, and hold training for all service employees for just my car?" He says "well we don't consider this a failure." Anyways, it was another waste of time for me...

Arbitration actually denied my claim despite all the evidence of a known common failure.
That really seems like a silly process. I too went to arbitration and won. Much too inconsistent. About 50 pages back here.

despite all the evidence of a known common failure...Tesla attorney stated it is not a common failure...
I'm no lawyer (thank GOD!) but it doesn't seem frequency is a basis for denying a warranty claim for a known problem, even if not common.

I was also able to question the Tesla attorney during the arbitration and that was fun. Tesla attorney stated it is not a common failure, and it was caused by environmental factors.
Sounds like the same guy I had. And it was kind of fun. He asked if I had my car out in the sun a lot. I asked him "Does it say in the owner's manual somewhere to not drive the car in sunlight?" ;)

And for what it's worth, the UV Treatment Machine would not fix mine and they had to replace the glass totally on the MCU. If I were in your shoes, I'd consider small claims next. Companies need to do the right thing.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Not at all. There was no change from taking it to them to picking it up. Arbitration actually denied my claim despite all the evidence of a known common failure. I was also able to question the Tesla attorney during the arbitration and that was fun. Tesla attorney stated it is not a common failure, and it was caused by environmental factors. I asked "Did Tesla create a machine for every service center, and hold training for all service employees for just my car?" He says "well we don't consider this a failure." Anyways, it was another waste of time for me...
Do it yourself. It takes a few nights to develop the adhesive and get rid of the yellow entirely.

Reactions: uscgreel
Do it yourself. It takes a few nights to develop the adhesive and get rid of the yellow entirely.
Teslas are great cars for DIY type people who are able to and enjoy fixing the cars themselves. This may sound sarcastic, but I actually told that to a few friends when they asked me about my experience with Tesla - I did not mean it as sarcasm. For example when my EMMC died after warranty (it started dying before, but as long as Tesla can do a clean reflash and it boots up they do not consider it a failure), Tesla quoted me $3K to fix, however I took the dash apart, removed the MCU, de-soldered the chip, cloned it, had to so some file reconstruction, but the end result was I put an upgraded EMMC chip ($50 vs. Tesla's $8 one) in which will outlive the car. Easy peasy, right? Door handle started continuously extending itself and retracting, $700 fix from Tesla but you can fix it yourself for ~$2 in parts. Again, if you like and are skilled enough to do that kind of thing. Yellow screen, buy some IR lamps, build a contraption, use it for few nights. The alternative is to keep an extra Tesla around to drive while the other one is getting repaired, and pay Tesla whatever they ask to fix it.