Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YellowBrick project: 2010 Tesla Roadster #683 (Parts needed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

Firs of all let me say that I am super excited to be part of this community. Never posted, but read threads on a regular basis.

I own few Tesla Model S, but always dreamed about the ORIGINAL Roadster!

Benn looking for project for some time and then found 2010 Tesla Roadster #683 from IAAI salvage auto auction. Theft recovery was the reason for total loss.

After the purchase I tried to contact Tesla support to diagnose it. No luck. So I decided to ship this car to Ukraine AS IS and do repair here (I reside in Ukraine now).

After diagnosing the vehicle we found out it should have been totaled due to vandalism more than theft. High voltage wiring was cut and I am looking for your help to find these parts. Images attached.

P.S. the roof I've purchased from a fellow community owner, as the original roof was lost by the driver moving the car from Texas to New York.

My plan is to restore the original cables. Repair short circuits. Check the battery. Charge it. See if it starts. If it starts I will restore roof to carbon fiber. If anyone needs the copy of the original roof I can create one made of high quality carbon fiber.

The car is in excellent condition. It has all charging cables. Two soft roofs (one is brand new).
If anyone knows the original owner please PM me. Would love to know the full history of the car.

Looking to restore it to the original condition and keep it as a museum piece in my collection while driving it on a weekend.

Cheers, Andrei.

IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4354.jpg
IMG_4353.jpg

High voltage wiring was cut and I am looking for your help to find these parts.

Perhaps a blessing in disguise; if the HV service disconnect plug is disconnected (equivalent to cut loop in Model S), it will not drain your pack, as you're probably already aware. So it's possible the cut wiring has achieved that same purpose. You might get lucky.

Good luck and I look forward to your progress.

• Helpful
Reactions: eHorses
I admire your optimism. I expect you will find that the battery is non-functional. It won’t accept a charge. You will need to find a replacement.

The reason I shipped it to Ukraine as I have guys here who worked on salvage tesla roadster. Battery was completely drained. It took 3 months to charge the battery with very low voltage. 2 of 11 modules were gone and needed replacement. Around $3000. We will take it slow and I will update the status.

It is truly beautiful piece and I'd like to keep it in my collection for years to come.

The reason I shipped it to Ukraine as I have guys here who worked on salvage tesla roadster. Battery was completely drained. It took 3 months to charge the battery with very low voltage. 2 of 11 modules were gone and needed replacement. Around $3000. We will take it slow and I will update the status.

It is truly beautiful piece and I'd like to keep it in my collection for years to come.

That is awesome news! I was optimistic a level 1 recovery may yield favorable results; glad it worked out! Swapping 2 modules is certainly a best case scenario outcome when repairing salvaged Roadsters.

What is next on your repair list?

Welcome to TMC @yellowbrick and best of luck with the restoration. That's a real bummer they lost the Brilliant Yellow hardtop since parts in that color are rare enough to begin with as noted here. More importantly, how on earth did they lose it in the first place? Did it fly off in transit? Worse, did it get... stolen? o_O

BTW, you may want to consider renaming the overall project "Yellow Brick Roadster" :D

giphy.gif

That is awesome news! I was optimistic a level 1 recovery may yield favorable results; glad it worked out! Swapping 2 modules is certainly a best case scenario outcome when repairing salvaged Roadsters.

What is next on your repair list?
1. need to dismantle roadster so we can remove high voltage cables.
2. repair high voltage cables.
3. check for short circuits.
4. check the battery.
will go from there.

this project is a side project, so we will repair when we have spare time.I'l keep posted.

Reactions: desoukya
Welcome to TMC @yellowbrick and best of luck with the restoration. That's a real bummer they lost the Brilliant Yellow hardtop since parts in that color are rare enough to begin with as noted here. More importantly, how on earth did they lose it in the first place? Did it fly off in transit? Worse, did it get... stolen? o_O

BTW, you may want to consider renaming the overall project "Yellow Brick Roadster" :D

giphy.gif

I do not think it was stolen. as driver sent me pic when picking it up. The top was there:
pickup_57b9f3c5c64da1b4b7d602fa1d5250cf2f052c7f.jpeg

when it was delivered to the warehouse it was gone:

load_dc868a8b1a3eb4f047f166170b7ad9cb6112bb2e.jpeg

They put roadster backwards on a trailer. I bet it was taken out by wind.No problem though. I can match color and paint it to the original color or strip blue and keep carbon. what you guys think: yellow or carbon?

Highly doubtful that wind took it out, unless it was just sitting on top (not bolted down). The car is rated for a lot faster than any transport truck. I just hope that nobody was traveling close behind if it did fly off. Any signs of damage to the attachment points?

My preference would be for carbon, as a point of contrast, but there's no guarantee that the weave under the paint is cosmetically good, nor that stripping the paint would yield a good surface. An alternative might be to trade the blue one for a "glass" top from Visium. That would go very well with the yellow, I think.

congrats with purchasing #683! I was the unfortunate owner who had it stolen while it was being shipped from Florida to Texas. The car's first owner resided in Northern California, then it went to @jordanthompson in 2012 and I bought if from Jordan in January of this year. Follow Jordan's prior posts to learn all about it's history, issues, upgrades, etc--there are posts going back to Jordan's first day of ownership in 2012. I only had the chance to drive #683 for 30 minutes while in Florida. I look forward to seeing you enjoying #683 for much longer than I did! Again good luck and congrats!

congrats with purchasing #683! I was the unfortunate owner who had it stolen while it was being shipped from Florida to Texas. The car's first owner resided in Northern California, then it went to @jordanthompson in 2012 and I bought if from Jordan in January of this year. Follow Jordan's prior posts to learn all about it's history, issues, upgrades, etc--there are posts going back to Jordan's first day of ownership in 2012. I only had the chance to drive #683 for 30 minutes while in Florida. I look forward to seeing you enjoying #683 for much longer than I did! Again good luck and congrats!
thanks mate. Oh well. Everything happens for the best..in one way or another. It will be challenging task but I am looking forward fixing #683!