Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YellowHead Highway Supercharger Needs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Jasper and Edson are scheduled for 2021. Nothing more specific than that.

So Kamloops to Jasper 441km, with good climbing on the Coquihalla Highway section.

Mid point is Blue River. That's the one we need to complete the route. It will make the longest hop from Kamloops to Edmonton around 235km, just right even in coldish conditions.

From Vancouver, 125km or so shorter to Edmonton than highway 1, lower altitude, better weather in winter.

Is there a way, a Tesla owner can lobby Tesla for a future SC location? Thanks

Hi, I appreciate your input. I have considered buying a ChAdeMo adapter, I see there is one at PetroCanada in Blue River but after input from users, L2 50KW is pretty underwhelming.
Tesla will have the route covered with Superchargers after 2021 except for the Blue River location. There has to be a way to lobby Tesla for this location. It would unlock the whole route which is so much better than TCH. That is what I would like to do. They are planning to opening one every day in 2021! Got to make one Blue River.

but after input from users, L2 50KW is pretty underwhelming.
Well, a couple of things:
CHAdeMO at 50kW (or really 45kW) is not level 2. Level 2 is 240V AC charging, which is like the 7-11kW power levels.
And I don't see why people are that dismissive of it. Sure, it's slower than Superchargers, but throughout a lot of the state of charge, people are only getting around 70-80kW from Superchargers anyway, once you get up near half full. So the CHAdeMOs are about half as fast--not that bad.

Reactions: cwerdna
Well, a couple of things:
CHAdeMO at 50kW (or really 45kW) is not level 2. Level 2 is 240V AC charging, which is like the 7-11kW power levels.
And I don't see why people are that dismissive of it. Sure, it's slower than Superchargers, but throughout a lot of the state of charge, people are only getting around 70-80kW from Superchargers anyway, once you get up near half full. So the CHAdeMOs are about half as fast--not that bad.
Thanks, Rocky. I did not realize that. There is an urban Supercharger at a nearby shopping centre and on the website, it is rated 72KWH. I have charged there many times, works well. Sounds like CHAdeMO will be similar. I could use this no problem. Just have to buy the M3 adapter. But what I would really like to know is how to lobby Tesla for that one remaining location (Blue River) to unlock the entire Yellowhead Highway route between Edmonton and Vancouver to Tesla cars. Have not had any input on this question and it is likely there is nothing specific that a lone Tesla owner could do. Just keeping my ears open regarding this question. Thanks again!

There is an urban Supercharger at a nearby shopping centre and on the website, it is rated 72KWH.!
Charging rate is measured in kW, not "KWH".

If one charges at a steady 72 kW * 1 hour --> 72 kWh came out of the charger/wall. 72 kW * 2 hours --> 144 kWh. Multiply the units and the values.

In the US, most public J1772 charging I've seen maxes out at 30 amps and is often only at 208 volts, instead of 240. 240 volts * 30 amps = 7200 watts = 7.2 kW. 208 volts * 30 amps = 6,240 watts = 6.24 kW.

I know they exist (in very rare instances in the US) but I've personally never seen 40+ amp J1772 public charging. 40 amps * 240 volts = 9600 watts = 9.6 kW

If there were a Tesla wall connector connected to a high enough amperage circuit (60+ amp circuit), then sure, one would get higher rates like 48 amps * 240 volts = 11,520 watts = 11.52 kW. US market Model 3 comes with no higher than 48 amp Onboard Charger.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bruce4000
I know they exist (in very rare instances in the US) but I've personally never seen 40+ amp J1772 public charging. 40 amps * 240 volts = 9600 watts = 9.6 kW
They were pretty common in places several years ago when people were trying to cover lesser highway routes that didn't have any Supercharger coverage, and the 80A and 72A onboard chargers were more common in the cars. Getting that 16-20 kW from J1772 stations was kind of decent to bridge some gaps. The U.S. highways in eastern Oregon had very high amp J1772 stations for this.

Reactions: cwerdna
They were pretty common in places several years ago when people were trying to cover lesser highway routes that didn't have any Supercharger coverage, and the 80A and 72A onboard chargers were more common in the cars. Getting that 16-20 kW from J1772 stations was kind of decent to bridge some gaps. The U.S. highways in eastern Oregon had very high amp J1772 stations for this.
I know of these but haven't personally visited them:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

There were threads like these stated long ago:
Map of 70 Amp J1772 chargers
List of 70A or 80A publicly accessible charging stations in California

It looks like Jasper and Edson are scheduled for 2021. Nothing more specific than that.

So Kamloops to Jasper 441km, with good climbing on the Coquihalla Highway section.

Mid point is Blue River. That's the one we need to complete the route. It will make the longest hop from Kamloops to Edmonton around 235km, just right even in coldish conditions.

From Vancouver, 125km or so shorter to Edmonton than highway 1, lower altitude, better weather in winter.

I agree with you on this one. My thoughts are one at Blue River and one at Tete Jeune Cache.

The one at Tete Jeune Cache give folks a chance to charge for either the run up to Prince George or south towards Kamloops.

Blue River is definitely needed in the middle though.

I suggest this for those of us with older MX's and MS's which do not have the longer range of the newer Models with 100kw batteries.

Food for thought,
Cheers!
Hugh-SG