Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellowing border MCU : Oct/Nov 2017 build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I just noticed this today as I driving to work. I don't think it was there ever before. There is now a slight yellow border in the LCD screen. Can you guys see it? It spans the entire display. You can see the slight yellow line in the first and second image the best. Does this mean the LCD is toast? What does the SC do in this case? Do they just replace the display or the whole MCU?

Thanks

V
IMG_1577.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg
IMG_1584.jpeg
IMG_1585.jpeg

EDIT:: Oops... just noticed the other thread. Please merge with that. Thanks mods.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Which is why until something happens with the MCU I am just going to tolerate the yellow. It’s not that noticeable enough for me to let a tech go digging into the dash. The MCU will fail eventually
I still have the OG warranty. I already reached 21K on my car. I want to get all the major things dealt with before I run out of warranty. If I was out of warranty, I agree, I would wait out and see if I can eventually get an MCU2 upgrade/replacement instead.

I still have the OG warranty. I already reached 21K on my car. I want to get all the major things dealt with before I run out of warranty. If I was out of warranty, I agree, I would wait out and see if I can eventually get an MCU2 upgrade/replacement instead.

Still, if you can tolerate the yellow the chances of attaining a second gen MCU will increase with each passing month. In my case I’ll wait it out in hopes several months from now it let’s go entirely. The new MCU is passively cooled too iirc less likely to fail. Fist gen was in the $3k range to replace outside of warranty I think? Not certain how much mcu2 retrofit would cost outside of warranty.

Have we had confirmation on this? I’ve seen varying answers including MCU2 needs new harnesses and won’t be replaced in MCU1 cars, etc. They will have stock for X years, etc.

Or like this, they will be using MCU2 soon and it’s an easy swap.

Nice to have a definitive answer. :D

I just saw this today on my September '17 delivery X too - never noticed it before today, and it wasn't because I was reading forum threads and subsequently went out for a "me too" check. I've not scanned the forum threads for this issue yet - has there been talk about what causes this (summer heat?) or was it a bad batch of displays? My assumption is this is an adhesive used during manufacturing that is discoloring in time but who knows....

I just saw this today on my September '17 delivery X too - never noticed it before today, and it wasn't because I was reading forum threads and subsequently went out for a "me too" check. I've not scanned the forum threads for this issue yet - has there been talk about what causes this (summer heat?) or was it a bad batch of displays? My assumption is this is an adhesive used during manufacturing that is discoloring in time but who knows....

Were you able to get your display fixed?

Which is why until something happens with the MCU I am just going to tolerate the yellow. It’s not that noticeable enough for me to let a tech go digging into the dash. The MCU will fail eventually

The problem with the yellow border is that once it becomes visible, it starts getting darker and larger.

I oftentimes have clients in my car and the yellow border is becoming more noticeable and it doesn't help sell the car if I tell them I've been waiting for months for them to fix the yellow screen defect under warranty with still no resolution :(