Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yellowing clear coat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have noticed that my white 2020 M3 doesn't look as bright when it's next to my 2020 MX, even though they're the same color. Today I opened the door when parked in the sun and noticed that the outside is a different color than inside the paint that's covered by the door!

I park outside sometimes and sometimes in the garage. Could this be the clear coat yellowing, and does it have anything to do with being parked outside? I just feel like this shouldn't be happening after only having the car for a year. If there is a solution to this, please let me know!

Attachments

• 5EB67E11-7D89-4E39-BFA9-C83001B42589.jpeg
    5EB67E11-7D89-4E39-BFA9-C83001B42589.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 223
It's likely traffic film, pollen, brake dust, industrial fallout, or some other contaminants that have stuck to your paint. The paint will likely feel rough to the touch. You can try a clay bar or chemical decontamination. Just keep in mind claying will instill some light scratches.

It's likely traffic film, pollen, brake dust, industrial fallout, or some other contaminants that have stuck to your paint. The paint will likely feel rough to the touch. You can try a clay bar or chemical decontamination. Just keep in mind claying will instill some light scratches.
Hmm okay I will try that, thanks. If that doesn't work do you think it's something that could be polished/buffed out?

Yep you'll wanna clay then polish. For a lower area like that you can prob just skip the polishing and no one will really notice any scratches anyway. Most people don't see them til the sun hits it. Good news is it's not an issue with your clear coat.

A properly prepared car won’t suffer any scratches from a clay bar.

rinse vehicle, spray with foam cannon, rinse vehicle again, use a light/medium clay bar with plenty of actual clay bar lube (I like the chemical guys lube), spray with a foam cannon again, rinse, dry (pref. With a compressed air or blower), wax

When you say the
The car was just cleaned today, so the issue isn't dirt. I tried wiping it away too, but the color is "stuck on".

What car soap or cleaning solution do you normally use to clean your car?

A lot of car soaps on the market are pH neutral so that they do not remove waxes or sealants. The problem with that is by being gentle enough not to remove wax or sealants, they also do not clean traffic film and embedded dirt that well. I would recommend:

1) Buy some Optimum Power Clean. This is a powerful all purpose cleaner. When diluted 3:1, you can safely use it on car paint. I would put some diluted Power Clean in a spray bottle or garden sprayer, spray it all over your paint in the shade, let it dwell for a couple minutes, and then wash your car. You can also add some more Power Clean to your wash solution.

or

2) Get a non-pH neutral car soap such as Mckees37 Coating Prep Auto Wash. This is from the Mckees37 Coating Prep Auto Wash product description:
"A regular auto wash is not strong enough to cut through thick layers of filth and road film. McKee’s 37 Coating Prep Auto Wash and its alkaline formula cuts through road film, saving you time and effort as you wash the vehicle. What’s more, McKee’s 37 Coating Prep Auto Wash rinses freely, leaving the paint clean, shiny, and ready for the next step in detailing."

Once your white paint is squeaky clean and white again, you will need to apply some sort of wax, sealant, or other preferred paint protection.

A properly prepared car won’t suffer any scratches from a clay bar.

rinse vehicle, spray with foam cannon, rinse vehicle again, use a light/medium clay bar with plenty of actual clay bar lube (I like the chemical guys lube), spray with a foam cannon again, rinse, dry (pref. With a compressed air or blower), wax

A clay bar or mitt works by abrading and lifting embedded contaminants. Let's say your mitt dislodges a nib of dirt. It's now stuck in the clay while still in contact with the paint as you move the clay bar back and forth. Maybe you haven't noticed any fine scratches because the grooves are filled in with wax.

Reactions: joebruin77