Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yes!!! Enhanced summon is on its way.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking good!

Most people think i hate Tesla but i'm don't i think its a good thing, they took a typical R*/A* algorithm of valet parking that have existed for decades, got it to work somewhat with constraints and released it.

I applaud them for that.

hmc.gif

• Disagree
Reactions: dragonxt
Most people think i hate Tesla but i'm don't i think its a good thing, they took a typical R*/A* algorithm of valet parking that have existed for decades, got it to work somewhat with constraints and released it.

I am curious to learn more about R*/A* algorithm. Can you tell me a bit more about what it is and how it relates to enhanced summon? Thanks.

So, every time there is an accident, Tesla reminds us that the driver is still responsible. What happens when one of these things crashes in a parking lot while being summoned? I mean, I know what happens. Tesla will say it's the owner's responsibility to monitor and remotely stop the car (which is really not very practical). But will the owner's insurance pay for damage caused by a remotely operated car? Could be interesting from a legal standpoint...

So, every time there is an accident, Tesla reminds us that the driver is still responsible. What happens when one of these things crashes in a parking lot while being summoned? I mean, I know what happens. Tesla will say it's the owner's responsibility to monitor and remotely stop the car (which is really not very practical). But will the owner's insurance pay for damage caused by a remotely operated car? Could be interesting from a legal standpoint...

Insurance Companies - already stated.

A driverless car is insured as though the primary policy holder is sitting in the drivers seat. Not the owner of the car ( if it happens to be a different person ).

That's only necessary if the driver is at fault. I'm sure Tesla's cameras will come into play then.

Done.

Considering that Enhanced Summon is limited to 2 mph AFAIK, I don't think there is much risk of an accident. After all, how much damage do you think your car will get at 2 mph?

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. There have been instances of damage resulting from autopark. Hitting another car at 2mph will cause damage, especially if the contact is to any sheet metal. That said, if insurance companies are covering it, then that's the answer.

Tesla will say it's the owner's responsibility to monitor and remotely stop the car (which is really not very practical).

As far as I can tell, this is going to be Tesla’s position forever. When no confirmation NoA was out on the early release cars, it also said you were responsible for the car’s lane changes even though it had a note that lane changes could happen very suddenly and quickly. I am sure that will be fun once it finally releases. And I think the new “FSD” feature list has a caveat that you will always be responsible too.

Of
As far as I can tell, this is going to be Tesla’s position forever. When no confirmation NoA was out on the early release cars, it also said you were responsible for the car’s lane changes even though it had a note that lane changes could happen very suddenly and quickly. I am sure that will be fun once it finally releases. And I think the new “FSD” feature list has a caveat that you will always be responsible too.
Of course the driver is always responsible. You have to ignore several clear warnings in the Tesla UI to not understand this. They make it crystal clear what the tech can & cannot do.

Its all still beta.

Companies aren't responsible for beta products.

Beta = use at your own risk.

Eventually Tesla will need to take responsibility for and insure the car during FSD operation, but only after they reach at least L3 or definitely L4 capability. True L3 is when they tell you that you can have not only your hands off the wheel but your eyes off the road. L4 is when they tell you that you can mentally disengage entirely (work, sleep, etc).

Elon likes to talk about regulators needing to have confidence in the tech to push out higher level capabilities, but at least as big of a factor is when Tesla (and their insurance provider) have confidence in the tech to take on that responsibility.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Eventually Tesla will need to take responsibility for and insure the car during FSD operation, but only after they reach at least L3 or definitely L4 capability. True L3 is when they tell you that you can have not only your hands off the wheel but your eyes off the road. L4 is when they tell you that you can mentally disengage entirely (work, sleep, etc).

Elon likes to talk about regulators needing to have confidence in the tech to push out higher level capabilities, but at least as big of a factor is when Tesla (and their insurance provider) have confidence in the tech to take on that responsibility.

Why?

If eventually our Teslas are able to drop us off at the entrance of a restaurant, then autonomously navigate to a parking garage a block away, then back when we’re ready to leave. Tesla will likely need to provide coverage for when the Tesla is at fault in an accident, as the car is no longer in the owner’s control. If Tesla is confident in full self driving in these instances, they shouldn’t have any problem doing this.

For one, some states laws might require them to.

For another- if their competition is doing so, which at least one is so far, they might have to do so for competitive reasons. For example-

Self-driving cars: Volvo to take full responsibility for all accidents

Volvo said:
In the event of a self-driving Volvo car causing an accident, the company would cover all resulting costs. “If the car is in fully-automatic mode and something happens and it’s proven that the car is responsible, then we’ll take full responsibility for it,” added Eugensson. “We will reimburse both insurance companies and vehicle owners.”

Reactions: McFlurri and Tezlah
If eventually our Teslas are able to drop us off at the entrance of a restaurant, then autonomously navigate to a parking garage a block away, then back when we’re ready to leave. Tesla will likely need to provide coverage for when the Tesla is at fault in an accident, as the car is no longer in the owner’s control. If Tesla is confident in full self driving in these instances, they shouldn’t have any problem doing this.

Cars are insured. Period.

If you park your car on a hill and the brakes fail and it hits something....then your insurance pays. I have full coverage and my insurance company knows that I own a driverless car. I have already spoken to them numerous times about driverlessness.

I don't want my car double insured. I don't want to pay for that.

Tesla has got to keep their prices down - the competition is trying to emerge.

The only thing Tesla is liable for is if a non-beta item fails and causes damage or injury. - Especially if you didn't have to agree to be responsible to turn it on ( as we do now ).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1375mlm