Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yes!!! Enhanced summon is on its way.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Based on the thread that the moderators deleted, enhanced summon is a bit of a gimmick. It will probably be handy for someone who, for example, parks their car in a separate garage a fair distance away from the residence but from the initial report that we got from someone running the beta software it was easily confused in the parking lot, was holding up other drivers and would occasionally simply "give up" if faced with something it couldn't deal with.

Based on the thread that the moderators deleted, enhanced summon is a bit of a gimmick. It will probably be handy for someone who, for example, parks their car in a separate garage a fair distance away from the residence but from the initial report that we got from someone running the beta software it was easily confused in the parking lot, was holding up other drivers and would occasionally simply "give up" if faced with something it couldn't deal with.

I liken that to the initial panel gaps issue with the model 3.

Its gone now.

♂️‏ @omarqazi 24h24 hours ago

1. Replying to @elonmusk@flcnhvy@austinbarnard45
    Update on no confirmation Nav on auto pilot and enhanced summon? Know you guys need to make sure it’s safe etc, but very excited for these features and would appreciate a ballpark guess

1 reply 0 retweets 75 likes
Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk24h24 hours ago

Replying to @omarqazi @flcnhvy @austinbarnard45
Started rolling it out a few days ago. Always starts slow, find rare corner case issues, fix them, continue rollout …

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
If the enhanced part of enhanced summon simply gets the car to pull completely out of my garage instead of stalling halfway, I'll be thrilled.

I have no expectation this will actually work in a parking lot filled with other cars, pedestrians, shopping carts, etc. I can just see the car giving up and stalling in the middle of the road, frustrated cars behind, while the Tesla owner stands 100 ft. away looking at their phone with a confused look on their face.

I liken that to the initial panel gaps issue with the model 3.

Its gone now.

♂️‏ @omarqazi 24h24 hours ago

1. Replying to @elonmusk@flcnhvy@austinbarnard45
    Update on no confirmation Nav on auto pilot and enhanced summon? Know you guys need to make sure it’s safe etc, but very excited for these features and would appreciate a ballpark guess

1 reply 0 retweets 75 likes
Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk24h24 hours ago

Replying to @omarqazi @flcnhvy @austinbarnard45
Started rolling it out a few days ago. Always starts slow, find rare corner case issues, fix them, continue rollout …

Yeah I forgot that cutting edge software that has to do real time obstacle avoidance and navigation relying solely on machine learning and primitive sensors is exactly like getting stamped sheet metal lined up properly.

Of course it will "improve over time" but I'm rather skeptical that it's going to be anything worth getting excited about. People are thinking about how great it will be to come out of a shop with a bunch of bags in the rain and have the car come get them, I have a feeling they are in for a rude awakening when those expectations meet reality.

If the enhanced part of enhanced summon simply gets the car to pull completely out of my garage instead of stalling halfway, I'll be thrilled.

I have no expectation this will actually work in a parking lot filled with other cars, pedestrians, shopping carts, etc. I can just see the car giving up and stalling in the middle of the road, frustrated cars behind, while the Tesla owner stands 100 ft. away looking at their phone with a confused look on their face.

(Some) Parking lots are really challenges places to navigate. It will be interesting to see how the cars take on those many challenges.

I was too chicken to ever try summons. I would be kicking myself for a long time if I damaged my car because I could not walk over to my parking spot.

Last edited:
I do think Advanced Summon will be an improvement over the current Summon. Right now, current summon just moves your car forward or backwards a little bit. Sure, that's nice if you need to move your car out of a tight spot but that's it. Hopefully, with advanced summon, it will be a bit more useful since the car will be able to also steer left and right to come to you. So I could see a situation where you are parked near the entrance of a store and it is pouring rain. Advanced Summon might work to bring the car closer to you which the old summon would not be able to do. But I have no illusions. This first version of Advanced Summon will not be "drop you off and go find a parking lot on its own". However, I do think it lays the groundwork to eventually become that in the future.

Yeah I forgot that cutting edge software that has to do real time obstacle avoidance and navigation relying solely on machine learning and primitive sensors is exactly like getting stamped sheet metal lined up properly.

Of course it will "improve over time" but I'm rather skeptical that it's going to be anything worth getting excited about. People are thinking about how great it will be to come out of a shop with a bunch of bags in the rain and have the car come get them, I have a feeling they are in for a rude awakening when those expectations meet reality.

I think enhanced summon will be seen as the initial rollout of FSD in 2 years.

Tesla has never rolled out a fully working product. There will be improvement after improvement until FSD is working. I'm excited about being seeing the initial birth pains of what my kids will know as "normal".

I can't think of a single scenario in which I'd allow my car to drive around a parking lot by itself.... the thought of retrieving my confused Tesla surrounded by irate drivers or finding a pedestrian laid out on the hood demanding my insurance info does not appeal to me.

I can't think of a single scenario in which I'd allow my car to drive around a parking lot by itself.... the thought of retrieving my confused Tesla surrounded by irate drivers or finding a pedestrian laid out on the hood demanding my insurance info does not appeal to me.

I'm going to do it all of the time when it rolls out.

Initially I'm going to do it at 3 in the morning for a few days...then.....turn it loose on the world. ( you know...the same way I did Drive on Nav. )

I do think Advanced Summon will be an improvement over the current Summon. Right now, current summon just moves your car forward or backwards a little bit. Sure, that's nice if you need to move your car out of a tight spot but that's it. Hopefully, with advanced summon, it will be a bit more useful since the car will be able to also steer left and right to come to you. So I could see a situation where you are parked near the entrance of a store and it is pouring rain. Advanced Summon might work to bring the car closer to you which the old summon would not be able to do. But I have no illusions. This first version of Advanced Summon will not be "drop you off and go find a parking lot on its own". However, I do think it lays the groundwork to eventually become that in the future.

Hehe, key word being "closer" rather than "all the way."

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Advanced Summon. I'm just confident it won't be surprisingly good when it first rolls out. In a few years, absolutely, I think it will do what's hoped.

Reactions: diplomat33
I expect advance summon to be super super conservative and just fairly useless in any busy public lot.

No-approval lane change is a much more interesting feature- but given how crap it can be about the ones it suggests presently I doubt I'd be enabling it anytime soon..... especially its habit of suggesting I change into a lane I know (and the CAR should know...) is ending very very shortly.