Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another, AP fatality under investigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So did the motorcyclist hit the car, or did the car hit the motorcyclist?

ooo someone is salty they paid 10k+ for fsd.

World is full of single exceptions, does not make it the norm. Show me raw data where AP accidents are majority caused by AP itself and the incidence rate is higher than a human driver and ill give you my Tesla for free.

Ill take AP any day even if its as bad as 999 accidents per xx miles driven on AP vs 1000 accidents per xx human driven miles.

I also apply that do deaths...if there are normally 50,000k deaths a year and we convert every car to AP and there are now 49,999 deaths a year ill take the one life saved. Of course everyone will scream AP killed 50000 people in a year and its the biggest crime to humanity, and no one will talk about the one life saved, even if 50k would have died regardless.

Not sure what Autonomous driving system Uber was using - but this was a much talked about case : Death of Elaine Herzberg
Uber was testing its L5 Autonomous system. However, when testing in California, it used Tesla's argument that since the testing requires a human driver, it's not really L5, it's L2. Thus, it reasoned that, like Tesla, it does not have to compile an annual Disengagement report.

California didn't buy Uber's argument, so Uber took its testing in Arizona, where there's no requirement for a Disengagement report.

Uber Autonomous system suffered from the same Tesla's false slowdowns (phantom brakes) that created an unpleasant experience for a passenger. The issue was the boss was coming for a ride to see the progress.

It decided to disable the rough autonomic brakings to prepare for a smooth ride for the boss.

But the human driver didn't get the memo, so she thought the automatic braking was still working. She didn't watch the road to apply the brakes manually on time. When she realized the car would not stop for the pedestrian, it was too late, and the pedestrian was killed.

Conclusion: Sometimes it's not worth fighting the California laws to get more freedom to do reckless things in other states.

True. And if I'm being honest, I haven't heard of a single car with those features.

We can now track L2 ADAS and up (L3,L4,L5) crashes from 7/2021:

Most of the L2 crashes and fatalities are from Tesla. GM has 2 crashes but no fatalities.

1659725066864.png

It's possible that because there are more Teslas, then it's just like buying a lottery; the more you get, the better chance you get something.

GM Level 2 ADAS is currently "Super Cruise" since 2017 (2018 model). It's a $2,500 option good for 3 years, then you have to pay $25/month for OnStar after that (due to updating the pre-mapping expense). It's similar to Tesla AP with Auto Lane Change (by speed, too: If the car in front is too slow) but no Navigation on Autopilot and only works on pre-mapped highways and not on city streets.

On the other hand, MobilEye SuperVision was activated last month in Zeekr 001 in China:

It's too new to get enough crash data from consumers, but MobilEye has been very conservative (not risk taker) and broke off with Tesla after the 2016 fatal Autopilot.

We can now track L2 ADAS and up (L3,L4,L5) crashes from 7/2021:

Most of the L2 crashes and fatalities are from Tesla. GM has 2 crashes but no fatalities.

View attachment 837147

It's possible that because there are more Teslas, then it's just like buying a lottery; the more you get, the better chance you get something.

GM Level 2 ADAS is currently "Super Cruise" since 2017 (2018 model). It's a $2,500 option good for 3 years, then you have to pay $25/month for OnStar after that (due to updating the pre-mapping expense). It's similar to Tesla AP with Auto Lane Change (by speed, too: If the car in front is too slow) but no Navigation on Autopilot and only works on pre-mapped highways and not on city streets.

On the other hand, MobilEye SuperVision was activated last month in Zeekr 001 in China:

It's too new to get enough crash data from consumers, but MobilEye has been very conservative (not risk taker) and broke off with Tesla after the 2016 fatal Autopilot.

The only numbers that are useful are from companies that have telematics.

So Tesla, GM (Supercruise), Rivian, Lucid, and maybe some others.

GM is supposedly going to offer Supercruise on a lot of new vehicles, and they're really expanding the mileage of roads it can be used on so I expect to see a lot more crashes reported with it.

Like with a lot of other things, with AP and FSD Tesla is reinventing the wheel. Don’t get me wrong - they are very innovative in things like battery management, motors, controllers, etc. - but in other places like firmware development, automation, etc. - there is a ton of existing knowledge that they purposefully ignore.
For example, Autopilot is a thing in aviation for 50+ years. It is definitely more advanced as technology and human interaction. Granted, it is simpler problem to solve but there are lessons to be learned. For example, in airplanes AP has different levels - why don’t we have that? It will certainly help with phantom braking. The AP was introduced as an aid - you will never see pilot not paying attention because the AP is on. Tesla could certainly benefit from some marketing/education there.
Don’t get me started on the actual software/feature development which looks like a garage startup…

data is that chart is just data, it is not any information. If you look at the reporting requirements, it says that a car accident must be reported if that car was delivered with any "driving automated system" regardless of whether that system was actually in use. So, my car has EAP and if i backed into the light pole outside of my garage even with all automation turned off, that would be a reportable incident.

Why no investigation of MB?
Nicole Lorraine Linton, an African American age 37, was arrested Friday on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. She was released from Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center this weekend, where she had been hospitalized with moderate injuries. Linton was now being held on $9 million bail at the Century Regional Detention Center, according to jail records. It was initially set at $2 million. .