Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another break in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a citation here, the worst that will happen is a fine because they've weakened the punishments for so much stuff.
Agreed. What is wrong with that state? Brings back to mind the story about that beautiful young lady that was killed in SF by the guy who was supposed to have been deported 5 times but wasn’t because of the sanctuary bs. She died in her father’s arms. CA reaps what it sows.

Agreed. What is wrong with that state? Brings back to mind the story about that beautiful young lady that was killed in SF by the guy who was supposed to have been deported 5 times but wasn’t because of the sanctuary bs. She died in her father’s arms. CA reaps what it sows.

Just stop. Do you really want me to start listing the people who have been released several times only to continue to reoffend at an alarming rate? Or does that not fit your anti-immigrant agenda? There is nothing wrong with CA, any more so than any other state. We have the worlds 6th largest economy and we contribute more to the federal government then we get back in return. We subsidize red states.

Please...

Jeff

Reactions: Ghosty and arlorose
Reactions: arlorose
How so? I stated factual statements backed up by you know, facts...

California Passes France As World's 6th-Largest Economy
Does California give more than it gets from D.C.?

Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with the facts before you allow your agenda to dictate your response? Or would that be too hard?

Jeff
regardless of the size of the CA economy they are still well into bankruptcy.
here's some facts
6 Key Measures of California's Fiscal Health 2017-18 | John Moorlach
California’s fiscal health among nation’s worst – Orange County Register
are the rat's jumping ship?
Leaving California? After slowing, the trend intensifies
I suppose that you think is good governance as well
Gov. Brown Signs Bill Allowing Felons To Vote In Jail

Last edited:
regardless of the size of the CA economy they are still well into bankruptcy.
here's some facts
6 Key Measures of California's Fiscal Health 2017-18 | John Moorlach
California’s fiscal health among nation’s worst – Orange County Register
are the rat's jumping ship?
Leaving California? After slowing, the trend intensifies
I suppose that you think is good governance as well
Gov. Brown Signs Bill Allowing Felons To Vote In Jail

I'm not going to debate this with someone who lives on the other side of the country and has NO idea what they are talking about. It's why you live in FL and I don't. I never said CA was perfect, and it's not without it's flaws, but your assessment is simply wrong.

Jeff

The truth is most states are in debt and will likely have to go into bankruptcy. The pensions of state employees are going to be the saddest to watch disappear.... That's people's lives we're talking about here. And you can thank our steady move away from SOUND money and the gradual transition to debt based fiat for all of it. END THE FED.

I'm not going to debate this with someone who lives on the other side of the country and has NO idea what they are talking about. It's why you live in FL and I don't. I never said CA was perfect, and it's not without it's flaws, but your assessment is simply wrong.

Jeff
I didn't see anything inaccurate with the facts he put forth.

I am on the other side of the country and I have a decent idea of what I'm talking about having spent significant time in both states. Addressing your points, NY has a reasonably large economy, although not as large as CA. Interestingly however, NY contributes far more than CA to the Fed. We subsidize both red and blue states. But I'm neither complaining about that nor bringing that up in a thread about crime. I'm not sure what the dig on red states was about. I'm in a blue state.

Yes, no state is perfect. But I deal with law enforcement issues in CA and that state just outright sucks when it comes to discouraging and prosecuting crime. It is really, really ridiculous.

It sucks when it comes down to a recommendation to just leave your car unlocked because the criminals have no fear of effective prosecution.

Again, your reap what you sow.

Reactions: kort677
There was a feature article in the San Jose Mercury News describing auto burglary in Palo Alto / Mountain View area.
Palo Alto area a hot spot for auto burglars

That, combined with this thread, is making me antsy about my upcoming Model S purchase - which will replace my 14 year old car which has never been broken into. I'm thinking about removing the parcel shelf to show there's nothing in the back, when I'm parked in high risk areas.

There was a feature article in the San Jose Mercury News describing auto burglary in Palo Alto / Mountain View area.
Palo Alto area a hot spot for auto burglars

That, combined with this thread, is making me antsy about my upcoming Model S purchase - which will replace my 14 year old car which has never been broken into. I'm thinking about removing the parcel shelf to show there's nothing in the back, when I'm parked in high risk areas.
this what you get when you elect leaders who condone and endorse
the lack of prosecution of common criminals that is common in your part of the world

Unfortunately the definition of "high risk area" is now most of the Bay Area. The article seemed to confirm what I've thought was the case: more affluent areas in the South Bay are being targeted by organized gangs from Oakland and Richmond. We've heard from folks whose cars were broken into in shopping center parking lots and garages, as well as when parked on the street. If anything, it's been a wake-up call and reminder to never leave anything of value in your car, period. I've also removed my parcel shelf.

This quote from the article suggests the authorities are well aware of the magnitude of the problem:
The problem led the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office to call an emergency meeting three weeks ago to discuss it. The office held a second such meeting Wednesday with police from every agency in the county, as well as San Mateo and Alameda counties, to “address how we will respond,” McKeown said. She expects a “massive countywide effort to address auto burglaries.”

Unfortunately the definition of "high risk area" is now most of the Bay Area. The article seemed to confirm what I've thought was the case: more affluent areas in the South Bay are being targeted by organized gangs from Oakland and Richmond. We've heard from folks whose cars were broken into in shopping center parking lots and garages, as well as when parked on the street.
If these are considered high risk areas, what about surveillance? Wouldn't that be the first step to deter the offenders?

If these are considered high risk areas, what about surveillance? Wouldn't that be the first step to deter the offenders?
Perhaps, but the problem is that the police apparently can't do anything about it unless they catch someone red-handed in possession of stolen property. Just getting video of a guy in a hoodie, or even a license plate, seems not enough to be actionable.

Of course dashcams are popular now, and getting one installed is something I've thought about, but I don't know that it would actually help or provide much of a deterrent to a smash-and-grab; they're more of a way to provide evidence in a collision accident. Maybe ubiquitous surveillance cameras are the endgame here, like in the U.K.

Another S and mine were broken into in a well lit Mountain View, CA parking lot tonight. Super frustrating since my car had nothing in it. But now I begin the multi-thousand dollar repair and multi-month wait.

It’s too bad we’re being targeted. Such a dumb design flaw being exploited.

Other than removing your parcel shelf, what can you do to prevent this?

Okay after reading your other posts I now know what you mean by a design flaw. Can you show me where in the Tesla description the car is described as break in proof or is a "safe"? And along the same logic as you suggest its flawed because it can't guarantee to prevent break-ins, its also not a bulldozer or a crane.

I am expecting someone to post that they are pleased the car has folddown seat latches and saved the thief from breaking the liftgate glass. My point is, even your flaw is all in your perspective and how you view the incident.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: arlorose
When this happened to me last month, it was neither a multi-thousand dollar repair nor a multi-month wait. Since they broke one of the most expensive windows on the car, it was just over a thousand. I'm told the door windows cost much less since they don't have to replace the chrome trim at the same time. Car was fixed and returned in 2 days.

Teslas aren't being targeted specifically. Cars that look like they might have laptops or other valuables appear to be getting broken into at an epidemic rate in the Bay Area.

I'm trying to figure out what the sign or signal is that makes the cars look like they might have laptops inside. Some would think that if you spent all your money on the car, you can't afford a laptop or other valuables. :) Just messin' with ya.

Perhaps, but the problem is that the police apparently can't do anything about it unless they catch someone red-handed in possession of stolen property. J
in addition, if the police are able to make a valid arrest, some judge or prosecutor just might toss the case because he just couldn't be bothered to go through the machinations of a trial for such a "trivial" offense.