Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another break in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's interesting that the camera was operating like that, most blackviews go into sleep mode and only activate on motion, this one was constantly running. another oddity is the 2 passes made by the crook's vehicle.
is this a verifiable incident?
Do you not believe him? I’m guessing it’s a setting that allows it to run constantly.

Do you not believe him? I’m guessing it’s a setting that allows it to run constantly.
did I say that I didn't believe him? being an owner of a similar unit and the unit I have doesn't have an always on option is what generated the interesting comment. try sticking to what I said versus blurting out what you think I intended to say.

Another S and mine were broken into in a well lit Mountain View, CA parking lot tonight. Super frustrating since my car had nothing in it. But now I begin the multi-thousand dollar repair and multi-month wait.

It’s too bad we’re being targeted. Such a dumb design flaw being exploited.

Other than removing your parcel shelf, what can you do to prevent this?

My S suffered the driver side rear quarter glass break in few weeks ago in Fremont (Pacific Commons). Brooks Motor Cars in Fremont, who's the authorized Tesla body repair, told me they do approx. 3 same Model S quarter glass repairs each week. Pretty much all on driver side. They got a lot of these glass pre-ordered, but always not enough for the driver side and had to order more. They said break-ins via quarter glass on Model X is rare, but super common for S. Driver side is because they can fold down 2/3 of the rear seats. If there is something, they'll then break the rear door glass. There is no glass pressure sensor, so only door alarm if necessary to trigger. These thieves abide by the 30 second rule for the job so that's why breaking quarter glass can give them more time for the preliminary scan.

Cost of parts (just under $300 include tax) and labor is around $550 for work that Tesla would trust. Given I have $500 deductible, it's not worthy it to claim. Even at $100-200 deductible, it's still better to pay without filing claim and cause insurance to go up.

Well lit area may not be good enough. I now always park closer to the stores/restaurants or where has most foot or car traffic. Better to take chance on dings with other cars then constant break-ins.

Oh back to first seen the break-in in parking lot, it's always frustrating and lots of anger. A family came by, and told us it's common and best to just pay for it and not file claim. My wife called Fremont police, and they are ready to take information but told us breaking glass happens all the time in popular shopping plazas.

did I say that I didn't believe him? being an owner of a similar unit and the unit I have doesn't have an always on option is what generated the interesting comment. try sticking to what I said versus blurting out what you think I intended to say.
Let’s look at it again:
it's interesting that the camera was operating like that, most blackviews go into sleep mode and only activate on motion, this one was constantly running. another oddity is the 2 passes made by the crook's vehicle.
is this a verifiable incident?
Pretty clear that there were two points here: 1) the settings for the camera which I responded helpfully to, and 2) your other point that you could considered the two passes by the subject odd, questioning whether it was a “verifiable incident”. There I was curious why you thought it might not be legitimate. No need to get an attitude.

Let’s look at it again:

Pretty clear that there were two points here: 1) the settings for the camera which I responded helpfully to, and 2) your other point that you could considered the two passes by the subject odd, questioning whether it was a “verifiable incident”. There I was curious why you thought it might not be legitimate. No need to get an attitude.
no attitude, during most break ins like this the crooks will try to do it in a minimal amount of time, repositioning their car the way they did seems to be unusual.

• Disagree
Reactions: sharpgator
Thieves compete for the title of most useless and degenerate human beings we have... Unfortunately, even if they were caught the penalties aren't even remotely severe enough... Even if they were, our prisons are clogged with non-violent drug offenders so we don't have space for them anyhow... It's a lose-lose situation...

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Perhaps true, but a latch on top of the seat which is easily accessible from the passenger compartment is quite common. Not sure that its a design flaw per se, but it definitely decreases security/increases risk. Of course, the Bay Area cops could help out as well -- broken window theory, but choose to ignore these types of crimes.

TLSA could help out as well, with an upgraded alarm that also blared upon window breakage.
Yes, my old Audi also had latches on top of rear seats allowing them to be folded down from the passenger compartment, but those latches were lockable with a key (same as ignition key), unlike the seat latches in the Model S. Of course, we don’t have physical keys with the MS so adding a lock would add the inconvenience of carrying an extra key. But then perhaps thieves would know it’s not as simple to smash and grab. Maybe some enterprising person can make an aftermarket locking latch replacement?

Thieves compete for the title of most useless and degenerate human beings we have... Unfortunately, even if they were caught the penalties aren't even remotely severe enough... Even if they were, our prisons are clogged with non-violent drug offenders so we don't have space for them anyhow... It's a lose-lose situation...

Jeff
does a crime need to have a violence component for it to be a crime?

Someone had mentioned this in another thread, that one of the best ways to prevent something like this is to leave your car unlocked. I think they were talking about a Porsche or Ferrari that they owned.

It seems counterintuitive when I first read that. But then I realized I would rather have someone get easy access to my car and steal something (IF I do have anything of value inside the car, which would be a no for me) then for them to bust out a window and then I’m stuck with the pain in a** process of fixing the dang thing.

I’m sure that these people check to see if the car is unlocked before busting out a window.

So best solution seems to obviously not lug around anything is high value in the car and leave the car unlocked.

Last edited:
Someone had mentioned this in another thread, that one of the best ways to prevent something like this is to leave your car unlocked. I think they were talking about a Porsche or Ferrari that they owned.

It seems counterintuitive when I first read that. But then I realized I would rather have someone get easy access to my car and steal something (IF I do have anything of value inside the car, which would be a no for me) then for them to bust out a window and then I’m stuck with the pain in a** process of fixing the dang thing.

I’m sure that these people check to see if the car is unlocked before busting out a window.

So best solution seems to obviously not lug around anything is high value in the car and leave the car unlocked.

The issue then is that you get some other pieces of human waste sitting in your car and smoking and leaving *sugar* all over just because they can do it with no fear of any consequences. Even if they get caught, nothing of note will happen.

The issue then is that you get some other pieces of human waste sitting in your car and smoking and leaving *sugar* all over just because they can do it with no fear of any consequences. Even if they get caught, nothing of note will happen.
what makes you think nothing would happen if caught? other than legal consequences, there are many people out there who wouldn't bother with calling the police and would inflict a certain level of punishment on their own.
for the most part these break ins are not by people seeking shelter or a place to play pocket pool, they are quick thieves looking to get lucky, in and out in under a minute usually.

what makes you think nothing would happen if caught? other than legal consequences, there are many people out there who wouldn't bother with calling the police and would inflict a certain level of punishment on their own.
for the most part these break ins are not by people seeking shelter or a place to play pocket pool, they are quick thieves looking to get lucky, in and out in under a minute usually.

It's a citation here, the worst that will happen is a fine because they've weakened the punishments for so much stuff. Honestly I think the best case scenario involves enough of these "people" getting caught by private citizens and beaten within an inch of their life so that the others decide it's not worth the risk.

It's a citation here, the worst that will happen is a fine because they've weakened the punishments for so much stuff. Honestly I think the best case scenario involves enough of these "people" getting caught by private citizens and beaten within an inch of their life so that the others decide it's not worth the risk.
sadly for you you're getting the government that "you" deserve.

sadly for you you're getting the government that "you" deserve.
I specifically mentioned private citizens because the government needs to operate within the framework of the law and constitution, they already exceed their boundaries too much.

I'm not necessarily saying I endorse vigilantism, for the record, just that it's more likely to fix the problem than the police are.

I specifically mentioned private citizens because the government needs to operate within the framework of the law and constitution, they already exceed their boundaries too much.

I'm not necessarily saying I endorse vigilantism, for the record, just that it's more likely to fix the problem than the police are.
I think that you should have paid attention the day civics was covered in school

• Disagree
Reactions: Ghosty