Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another charger question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may want to wait until your new car arrives before making a decision. That way you can decide if you are happy backing into your garage everyday. If you don't like backing in all the time, then you can check with your electrician to see if you can add another circuit or if you have to move your original one. With the car sitting in your garage you will have a better feel for exactly where you want to install it.

If you install a new circuit, have them run wires that are capable of 60 amp if your panel will allow it. Even if only putting in a 50 amp outlet. That way you can upgrade easier if needed.

I think the extended cord for the Charge Point is the least attractive option. Long cords are harder to handle and often get in the way a lot.

If you stay with the Charge Point you may want to buy another J1772 adapter ($90) to keep one in the car and one on the Charge Point at all times. If you decide on a Tesla brand charger (UMC or WALL) no need for extra J1772.

Don't forget, if you do buy a Tesla wall connector you can get up to $1000 federal tax credit for the cost if installed by Dec. 31, 2020.

You may want to wait until your new car arrives before making a decision. That way you can decide if you are happy backing into your garage everyday. If you don't like backing in all the time, then you can check with your electrician to see if you can add another circuit or if you have to move your original one. With the car sitting in your garage you will have a better feel for exactly where you want to install it.

If you install a new circuit, have them run wires that are capable of 60 amp if your panel will allow it. Even if only putting in a 50 amp outlet. That way you can upgrade easier if needed.

I think the extended cord for the Charge Point is the least attractive option. Long cords are harder to handle and often get in the way a lot.

If you stay with the Charge Point you may want to buy another J1772 adapter ($90) to keep one in the car and one on the Charge Point at all times. If you decide on a Tesla brand charger (UMC or WALL) no need for extra J1772.

Don't forget, if you do buy a Tesla wall connector you can get up to $1000 federal tax credit for the cost if installed by Dec. 31, 2020.
Oh, if I stay with the ChargePoint, I will definitely get another J1772 adaptor. And I've already looked into the tax credit. I'll get back only 30% of the cost of the Wall Unit and installation charges, so if installation costs $500 (It probably be less.), I'll get a credit of $300.

Oh and I do recognize your avatar. :)

Reactions: mrau
Help me out with your thinking on that one. I think I am not understanding something about a limitation with the panel being in the garage. I am using my Tesla wall charger at 80 amps and the panel is in the garage.
I'm assuming they meant regarding convenience/cost. If the panel isn't in the garage, running a new longer circuit is both more expensive and can be more invasive depending on your house's layout. Being in the garage, it's trivial in comparison.

I'm assuming they meant regarding convenience/cost. If the panel isn't in the garage, running a new longer circuit is both more expensive and can be more invasive depending on your house's layout. Being in the garage, it's trivial in comparison.
Yea, good point, agree with all that. Perhaps I read it wrong, but it sounded to me like the poster was implying there could be a limitation to having the panel in the garage rather than it being an advantage, thus I was confused by the comment.