Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another charger question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting for a VIN and delivery date for my M3 LR AWD. I currently have a ChargePoint 32 A charger installed in the garage. The cable isn't long enough to reach the charge port on the Tesla. As I see it, I have the following options.

1. Back the car into the garage.

2. Buy a longer cable for the ChargePoint for about $200-$250

3. Have an electrician relocate the 240V outlet and the ChargePoint to where it would reach

4. Get a Tesla Wall Connector and have an electrician install it where it will reach.

The first three options would limit charging to 32A; the Wall Connector will allow 40 or 48A charging, depending on whether the electrical feed to the house can handle a 60A breaker.

What do you suggest?

I had charger installed for 535 for wall charger with tax and 285 I think for install the charger. You can deduct that on taxes too so it gets even cheaper. You need to decide if you want the extra charging speed. I know people say it doesn't matter, but I'll be honest, the range is a lot less than they claim it to be and I'm happy I can go at 48 amps. Even then its not that quick. Come home with empty battery and want to go somewhere you going to be waiting a bit.

Reactions: Michelle_eriw
You have posted a question where all of the options are increasing in price from $0 to $1,500 approx. and each is more convenient. Everything except #2 seems reasonable.

Personally I would back-in, but it depends on your driveway.

I'm not a fan of using the J1772 connector with the Tesla - that would annoy me more than the backing in. Try and see what kind of a deal you can get with the electrician.

I wouldn't be concerned with increasing the power to 48A, unless your panel is in the garage. You can maybe use the existing wiring and extend it for a less expensive job.

You have posted a question where all of the options are increasing in price from $0 to $1,500 approx. and each is more convenient. Everything except #2 seems reasonable.

Personally I would back-in, but it depends on your driveway.

I'm not a fan of using the J1772 connector with the Tesla - that would annoy me more than the backing in. Try and see what kind of a deal you can get with the electrician.

I wouldn't be concerned with increasing the power to 48A, unless your panel is in the garage. You can maybe use the existing wiring and extend it for a less expensive job.
The panel is in the garage. When I had the ChargePoint installed, the electrician put a 50A breaker in the circuit box, routed wires from it to a 240V outlet that he also installed, and hung the ChargePoint on the wall and connected the cable to it. He charged me only $150 for that. I expect that installing a Wall Connector would be a bit more expensive because he will have to route cabling through some studs in order to place it where will reach. So maybe $250.

Of course, there's the consideration of whether to use the existing 50A breaker (which will require disconnecting the outlet, no big deal, but I would have a useless socket in the wall) or install a new breaker; a minor consideration of course, but still a consideration.

Why? It would still require backing in, plus cost an additional $35, and provide no advantage over the existing ChargePoint.
Isn't 20' long enough? Yes, it would require a $35 adapter to fit your plug.
upload_2020-8-4_14-37-52.png

The panel is in the garage. When I had the ChargePoint installed, the electrician put a 50A breaker in the circuit box, routed wires from it to a 240V outlet that he also installed, and hung the ChargePoint on the wall and connected the cable to it. He charged me only $150 for that. I expect that installing a Wall Connector would be a bit more expensive because he will have to route cabling through some studs in order to place it where will reach. So maybe $250.

Of course, there's the consideration of whether to use the existing 50A breaker (which will require disconnecting the outlet, no big deal, but I would have a useless socket in the wall) or install a new breaker; a minor consideration of course, but still a consideration.

If your electrical work is only $150, then I would go for the new wiring. Many of us pay $1,000 for trivial things. That also makes the wall connector look more expensive when the electrical work is so cheap (ie. reasonably priced).

Obviously the wall connector is the nicest option, but for $150 getting a 14-50 is a real quick and easy solution.

I'm going to be very opinionated and say 240V 32A is more than enough for 99% of people, so probably good enough for you as well.

That can fully, 0-100%, charge a Long Range Model 3 in 12-13 hours (overnight). You are unlikely to ever do this (10-90%, maybe, about 10 hours).

Exceptions to this being good enough would be...
  • One person drives the car for day shift work, another for night shift, both long distances away.
  • You have a very short window for a reduced electricity rate for time-of-use plan, and your daily usage would actually be more expensive with a longer charge time. Your daily usage probably doesn't require the 10h mentioned above.
If it's not a burden, just back in. I know some driveways this is worse, but in those cases I usually dread backing out just as much (usually more - I back in always unless there is a sign forbidding me from doing so, so I'm biased).

EDIT: We also classify as heavy commuters (120km per day minimum, 25% of the rated range) and got by even with a standard 120V plug (though this would not have worked for Winter). We have 240V now, normally charge at 24A just because but have 32A available. 240@24 has been way more than enough, even in Winter.

I'll give the other side of why you need more than 32 amps. Just happened the other day. Dropped kids at camp, came home with 18% battery. We have a gas car, but lets say we didn't. We want to now go out to dinner. 48 amps going to get me charged up in an hour or so enough that I'm probably fine, 32 amps not so much. What if you forget the night before to plug in for whatever reason, or the power is out etc. 48 amps gets you going reasonably quickly. I never understand the argument if you don't need the extra speed. You can always use the extra speed. Heck I'd put a supercharger in my garage if possible.

Now in this case if I already had the stuff installed , I'd probably just live with it at least for a bit as its already there and no sense really spending another 800 or so dollars for a wall charger and installation.

I'll give the other side of why you need more than 32 amps. Just happened the other day. Dropped kids at camp, came home with 18% battery. We have a gas car, but lets say we didn't. We want to now go out to dinner. 48 amps going to get me charged up in an hour or so enough that I'm probably fine, 32 amps not so much. What if you forget the night before to plug in for whatever reason, or the power is out etc. 48 amps gets you going reasonably quickly. I never understand the argument if you don't need the extra speed. You can always use the extra speed. Heck I'd put a supercharger in my garage if possible.

Now in this case if I already had the stuff installed , I'd probably just live with it at least for a bit as its already there and no sense really spending another 800 or so dollars for a wall charger and installation.
Do you really feel a huge difference in those cases though? If I wanted to go out to dinner I maybe need to add 40km. I calculated 50 minutes vs 33 minutes for that. Substantial difference I guess, but if my plans were already thrown off by low charge, both are too long.

I've forgotten to plug in and just needed to completely change plans for the day. We travel >120km often, and this isn't something I can get for range quickly in either case. Superchargers/CHAdeMO are needed at that point, and only of they don't require a detour themselves.

I'd try the first option, first. Only if that doesn't work for you, then consider the other options. If backing into a garage is not comfortable, then consider putting lines or tape on the floor of your garage to help align your Tesla as you back in. Others have done it, and it seems to work well.