Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet Another Comparison: Bolt vs BMW i3 vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question was not a question. It was a critique of the marketing baloney. They call the i3 an urban vehicle only because of its glaring shortcomings--such as low speed capability, low range, high Cd--as you point out.

I don't like dissing others' rides, and I hope i3 owners will forgive me. It just makes me very angry that one of the world's foremost car companies came up so short on their EV at a critical juncture for the industry.

It's primarily an urban car because it's small in size. Small for parallel parking and squeezing into small spaces on the street. Also, most people that live in dense urban areas don't have big families or a ton of kids to lug around to soccer games and you don't need to drive more than 5-10 miles per day if at all since many people walk or take the train as a primary mode of transport.

I used to live in a residential downtown neighborhood before the i3 was around and it was filled with Smart Cars, Minis and more recently Fiat 500s. There were no minivans and very few compact SUVs. I would say far less than a quarter of people who lived there even owned cars.

It means
1. Low average speeds
2. Low distances between charges
3. It might also mean more access to L2 charging

So ...
1a. High Cd is not a problem, and hatchback configs are favored for utility
2a. More opportunistic charging, less reliance on DCFC

This has little to do with "letting car manufactures off the hook" and a lot to do with acknowledging that it makes sense to tailor tools to the job. You should also remember that the car was probably designed with Europe in mind where rail is an attractive option for long(er) distance travel.

It seems you're saying that a smaller, less expensive car is the better one for urban environments. How are the L2 charging options charging options for an I3 more opportunistic than a Tesla?
Easier to get into/out of and easier to park. Much more maneuverable in small areas like car parks.

Sure, that makes sense for a smaller vehicle.

It seems you're saying that a smaller, less expensive car is the better one for urban environments. How are the L2 charging options charging options for an I3 more opportunistic than a Tesla?
I don't presume to guess consumer preference, although lower cost EVs are certainly possible for urban use. E.g. the LEAF does quite well as an urban car with 20 kWh of battery and L2. I'm buying the Model 3 as our long distance car, and as a Spec it pretty much has to start at ~ 50 kWh battery with a Supercharger network.

I use opportunistic to mean charging while doing something else rather than doing something else while charging.

My perspective, I admit, is from having the 34 kWh version of the i3 as a second car. It is extremely quiet and very zippy around corners, and a lot of fun for the tight cornered uphill downhill country roads we have around here.
I very much like the functionality and the shape. It scores high because it does not look like any other hatchback, with an outright elegant interior. And it is the most quiet car I have ever seen. Interestingly, the shape really polarizes. People love or hate its looks, with no middle ground.

Average energy consumption is 16.4 kWh overall, 13.5 kWh in summer.

The Bolt I find very interesting, but it is not really available yet in Europe. GM has dumped their Opel division supposed to market it in Germany (Ampera E) after many years of arduous fighting, which has destroyed brand image, customer and employee loyalty, and has not added to endear the Bolt to the public at this point. Hope it still succeeds in Europe once it becomes available in quantity, probably under the original Chevy brand.

Overall I agree with Elon in that every electric car is a better car.

Bolt, good commuter car for up to 4, can cram in 5 but you won't like it. Seats are OK for skinny people, waaayyyy too narrow for normal people. Bolt doesn't know how to open your garage door. Tried to buy one, wife vetoed it. I sorta liked it for my uses but I'm glad to have the Supercharger network available for 200+ mile trips. Something that the other automakers just don't seem to get yet...

Tesla is the best for my cities -- Houston, Denver, Los Angeles. I'm spoiled now and can't imagine dealing with Houston traffic without AP. It makes driving in bumper to bumper traffic actually enjoyable.

Once the Bolt gets at least TACC and a half-way decent long-distance charging infrastructure, it will be a contender.