Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yet another curb rash question, 19" sport wheels (sorry)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have to valet park my car in a garage at work, and of course they have destroyed my rims.

Was going to try and repair it myself but I can't seem to find touch up paint that matches the sport wheels (I guess there is some Ford touch up paint that matches the aeros, but I can't find anything to match the sport wheels).

Anyway I called Tesla service and they suggested emailing [email protected]. They came back with this:

Thank you for contacting the Body Shop Advocate team. Unfortunately, we don't have a touch up kit for the wheels. You may try reaching out shop to see if they may be able to repair it. Here is the color code for your wheels $W39B you can as try this website Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems as they may be able to reproduce the color. I apologize in advance for your frustration.

So before I drop $50 on touch up paint from "drcolorchip", does anyone have any experience with this particular strategy? Or a different place to look for the touch up paint?
Thanks in advance

I have used Dr ColorChip for touchup on all of my cars with great results. It works best on paint chips rather than scratches. I've never used it on the wheels, but I think it should work.

Re: valet curbing my wheels, I would not tolerate that......if I had to valet my car and they "destroyed my rims", I'd be filing a claim with them. And, in the future, I'd do a walkaround every single day, before and after, and if there was a new scrape, documenting it every time. There is no reason a valet should be doing this to you. Do they do it to everybody's car? Does everybody else just accept it?

I have used Dr ColorChip for touchup on all of my cars with great results. It works best on paint chips rather than scratches. I've never used it on the wheels, but I think it should work.

Re: valet curbing my wheels, I would not tolerate that......if I had to valet my car and they "destroyed my rims", I'd be filing a claim with them. And, in the future, I'd do a walkaround every single day, before and after, and if there was a new scrape, documenting it every time. There is no reason a valet should be doing this to you. Do they do it to everybody's car? Does everybody else just accept it?
Agree with the valet thing. They destroyed my rims after 3 days of ownership with the car.
IMG_1409.jpg

i have to valet park my car in a garage at work, and of course they have destroyed my rims.

Was going to try and repair it myself but I can't seem to find touch up paint that matches the sport wheels (I guess there is some Ford touch up paint that matches the aeros, but I can't find anything to match the sport wheels).

Anyway I called Tesla service and they suggested emailing [email protected]. They came back with this:

Thank you for contacting the Body Shop Advocate team. Unfortunately, we don't have a touch up kit for the wheels. You may try reaching out shop to see if they may be able to repair it. Here is the color code for your wheels $W39B you can as try this website Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems as they may be able to reproduce the color. I apologize in advance for your frustration.

So before I drop $50 on touch up paint from "drcolorchip", does anyone have any experience with this particular strategy? Or a different place to look for the touch up paint?
Thanks in advance
I bought some touch up paint from eBay

Wheel Touch Up Paint for Tesla Sonic Silver 21 19 Silver Touchup Model S X 3 Pen | eBay

Not an exact match but it does help

tmIcahN6RHa2+lgp8jXrKw.jpg
5Ex7lb6TR1asw+c1Ka3t+Q.jpg

It is time for Tesla to put a "little wider" tire on the cars. The tire needs to be a bit wider than the rim to reduce curb rash and reduce flats from pot holes. This is a continuing problem that is easy for Tesla to fix. Time to adjust the tire manufacturer contract.

Perhaps... but the reason for the current design is for aerodynamics and maximum efficiency.

I am loving my new rim protectors, er uh........tires, they really transform the car and as long as I can get 250 miles on the freeway i'm good, they are averaging maybe 280 wh/mi vs. 255 or so from my 19's so 10% hit but the handling and comfort is much better

I am loving my new rim protectors, er uh........tires, they really transform the car and as long as I can get 250 miles on the freeway i'm good, they are averaging maybe 280 wh/mi vs. 255 or so from my 19's so 10% hit but the handling and comfort is much better

What about noise ? Did you notice any difference between the stock 19 tires that Telsa had to these ? You said these have better comfort ? In what way ?

Thanks for your input.

What about noise ? Did you notice any difference between the stock 19 tires that Telsa had to these ? You said these have better comfort ? In what way ?

Thanks for your input.
A bit noisier at first but now with 2,000 miles on them they have quieted down a bit, compared to stock on certain roads they are still louder but I have also experienced an almost complete silence out of them at 70 plus mph that I never noticed on the stock tire.

Stock tires I ran at 42 psi cold, these tires did not do well at that pressure and after experimenting I settled on 45 psi but even at the higher pressure everything seems more damped like a better suspension was added, freeway buttons are softer, large and small bumps are softer but everything still feels more buttoned down and responsive as well, tires did not really start to shine until after 1,000 mile road trip, now they are awesome.

At first I thought efficiency was only a 5% hit, it is closer to 10% but worth it to me for all the benefits

How is it any of Tesla's problem that you curb your car? Drive better.
I agree with the poster who suggested that wider tires really benefit this heavy car especially if you like spirited driving, potholes have been a problem for the 20” wheels as many people have bent them without even damaging the tires of course if everyone was perfect like you they can dodge all potholes and with your perfect driving skills corner harder with skinnier tires all while never ever doing anything to damage the wheels in any way but alas we all do not possess your superior skills

Last edited:
Reactions: Pkmmte
I agree with the poster who suggested that wider tires really benefit this heavy car especially if you like spirited driving, potholes have been a problem for the 20” wheels as many people have bent them without even damaging the tires of course if everyone was perfect like you they can dodge all potholes and with your perfect driving skills corner harder with skinnier tires all while never ever doing anything to damage the wheels in any way but alas we all do not possess your superior skills
Do you have any pics with the tires on?