TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Yet another good reason to install a dash cam

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Brightonuk, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

She said it was my fault so the cop did not ticket her as he said no eye witness and conflicting stories on what happened.

No he would not even look at the dash cam video.

Only light damage I have Xpel and it did save some paint but still its gonna cost me a $500 deductible

Wheel Damage.jpg Rear 1_4 Panel Damage.jpg

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204369922942663&set=vb.1067838924&type=2&theater[/video]

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

At least you're lucky that didn't cause you to spin out.

3. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Irritating that the police officer wouldn't look at evidence on the scene, but this shouldn't cost you anything once you give this video to your insurance company. I'm sure they have very good lawyers on the payroll. Should be all on her insurance company, whether a ticket was issued or not.

4. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Yer the photo does not really show the whole picture there is a dent in the rear 1/4 panel but I read Standardcodes grief

And I'm grateful that it was not a lot worse, it just pissed me off especially as I just spent 3 hours waxing and polishing WGAF and she was looking like a $1M

5. SBR

SBR Member

Id be shocked if you were at fault...

what cameras are those?

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

That's a bummer. It's quite clear from the video that you are on a straight path and the other driver drifts to the right and swipes you. Her fault and not much doubt. I hope your insurance company accepts the video.

In my accident (a 4-way stop sign) my dash cam shows that it clearly was my fault. I didn't even mention the video to my insurance company:)

7. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Very glad you weren't hurt (and that you have video to corroborate your story).

I have only a forward looking dash cam. Your story makes me want to add a rear facing one, too. Can you tell us a bit about your camera configuration?

8. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

If I were you, I would go down to the police station where the officer was based out of, and very politely demand to speak with the officer's superior. It is unacceptable that they refused to look at evidence.

South Florida is loaded with idiot drivers, and it's worth the effort to try and get some off the road.

9. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Yeah .. personally I would have told that cop to send out his supervisor. Screw told, DEMANDED.

They are PUBLIC servants ... or at least we are told.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I don't see her anywhere in the front-facing video.. it's kinda hard to tell where she came from such that she couldn't see you!

edit: Also, strange placement of the dashcam --- completely obscures the left side of the car.

11. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

I'm very surprised the cop would not look at a video the showed how an accident happened. That is just rediculous. You should report the officer's incompetence at the same time you provide the video evidence to your insurance company. The video leaves no doubt.

Im glad you are both ok as that could have been a lot worse.

12. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

The box you see on the video is a Mobile Eye cant go above it and below is to low

13. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Did the police officer complete an accident report or did he tell you to complete and submit it? If he directed you to complete one -- and usually when there are there are no injuries that is what is done -- then there is no obligation on him to review the video. I agree he should have but the other side of the argument is that the police are too busy with more important matters than to be obligated to watch videos over traffic violations. However, if he completed an accident report then he must conduct a proper investigation which, arguably, includes viewing the video.

14. morbot

morbot Member

Well, keep in mind that a traffic cop on the scene isn't necessarily going to do a ton of investigation and try to "solve" an issue. His primary focus is probably something like:
    1. Make sure everyone's ok
    2. Make sure both parties aren't going to attack each other :)
    3. Get the scene documented, get things reported, ensure involved parties are held responsible to followup
    4. Get everyone off the shoulder and keep traffic moving.

Glad everyone is ok and glad you got in on camera, hopefully should make things easier for insurance.

15. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

after see this I think i know what I want for Christmas.

16. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Hmm... yeah that dash cam front placement is pretty bad. Might make more sense to have it in the upper passenger side corner so it could see more of the left side... I have a spare one of those front/rear cams I plan on putting in my P85D if it ever gets delivered, so I'll have to figure something out for this.

I like the placement on my P85. Can see perfectly everything up front.

17. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

It was OK till I got the ME a couple of months ago and as I had not checked the viewing angle since the install I did not realize the obstructed view, when I get the car back I will try rearranging the mounting positions.

I also want to cut a small hole in the rear tint to allow the camera a clear view as the tint dims the image.

Another issue is the rear is not true HD I think there is another company out there that has the same setup but with a HD rear camera

The good thing is my issues should help others in placement and tint issues with Dash Cams.

18. stevej119

stevej119 Member

How are you liking the Mobileye? I'm considering having one installed.

19. russman

russman Member

#20 russman, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    Yes this is helpful. Any information about what system and where you installed and how would be great!