Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another item to add to the list: door seals leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the door seal kit off amazon, cheap and easy to install. They keep the door sills nice and clean, should work for you.

Hmmm....I've driven offroad like this for years in many cars with "single-seal" doors. I have to think there is something wrong. This should not happen inside the vehicle at all. Completely understand between the door edge and up to the seals, which is understandable, but no dust should have entered the vehicle. This would mean water and other debris will get in through those seals for sure. This definitely requires a SC visit, and I'll be standing by to hear what they say.

wait, now we have to inspect seals and buy seals off amazon to fix? This is crazy...I will wait at least a year to see if they can fix all of these fit and finish issues before pulling the trigger, if ever. I am coming from a Jeep so its not like I even expect Toyota type quality but they are making Jeep (Fiat) look great.

Reactions: am_dmd and Medic
Hmmm....I've driven offroad like this for years in many cars with "single-seal" doors. I have to think there is something wrong. This should not happen inside the vehicle at all. Completely understand between the door edge and up to the seals, which is understandable, but no dust should have entered the vehicle. This would mean water and other debris will get in through those seals for sure. This definitely requires a SC visit, and I'll be standing by to hear what they say.
This was a common problem in the Model 3s at first but they changed something in the seals for later build dates and it got slightly better but by then everyone just took for granted the accessories that were a must have for new cars. Should Tesla have improved the seals, yes, did they nope not one bit. Growing pains, it sucks but it is what it is.

wait, now we have to inspect seals and buy seals off amazon to fix? This is crazy...I will wait at least a year to see if they can fix all of these fit and finish issues before pulling the trigger, if ever. I am coming from a Jeep so its not like I even expect Toyota type quality but they are making Jeep (Fiat) look great.

Not exactly. The after market door seals are entirely different than the factory version and designed to be placed closer to the rim of the doors. The idea is to create a second layer of seal to help eliminate wind noise.

The glaring issue with this car is the white paint on driver side door doesn’t match the rest of the car...

Attachments

• 83B3E76B-0E40-42CE-A6BB-2414570B24EA.jpeg
    83B3E76B-0E40-42CE-A6BB-2414570B24EA.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Disagree
Reactions: powertoold
I quickly noticed the mismatched paint too, but the owner never mentions it. Some of us are more detail oriented and easily see flaws like mismatched paint, panel gaps and misfitted trim. I know if I sent my wife to pick up one of the atrocious MYs we've seen on this forum she'd take one look and say, "looks fine" and she'd drive it home.

So it's a two sided coin so to speak. Tesla defenders will say some of us are being "too picky" and focusing on the few numbers of vocal complaints and that there are plenty more satisfied owners perfectly happy with their MYs and not on this forum. Yes, while that is likely true, I contend that there are many happy owners completely oblivious to the fact that the MY has mismatched paint on the doors/ hood, bumpers, and fenders. Panel gaps? What do you mean? What's a panel gap?

hahaha

And yet, I am still looking forward to getting my MY

As for the white...I feel freaking old for not noticing that, I saw something was off when i picked the car up but put it down to lighting. I took it home but I get things dusty fast and kind of just put it off to the way dust collects around this car. a few people from the video post have pointed out the color of the doors as well. On the dust, FYI my 2016 Jeep cherokee this is replacing does not leak dust into the car like this and all the body panels are flush. I will do a compare video of the two cars and the respective build quality. I am far from a tesla defender, Im not happy with the build I should have rejected it after I noticed things on my own time when I got home.

I ordered the 3rd party seal kit but holding off till after it goes to Tesla for my after delivery touch ups.

Reactions: raggedy and Ba2yev