Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Yet Another] RaspberryPi Zero W TeslaCam Gadget.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the TeslaCam feature was release I figured it would be a good opportunity to play with and learn about the RPi Zero W's ability to emulate USB devices. I set out to build something that I didn't have to think about a solution that would automatically collect and archive the TeslaCam recordings.

Because the Tesla cuts power to the USB ports abruptly, I am using a PiJuice to keep the RPi online long enough to shut down cleanly -or- if WiFi is available rsync the recordings to server running in my home.

All of the code and documentation can be found on GitHub. (link below) I consider the code/implementation "good enough for me for now" I will make improvements as the need arises -or- if ya'll have feedback.

LelandSindt/teslacam

Just a cheap $42CAD desktop ssd. Was on sale at Best Buy. The enclosure was another $29CAD... but havent had a single issue since.

Now i partitioned 32GB for the dash cam and the rest for music

I did the same (partitioned it similarly) with just a regular 128GB USB Flash Drive and it has not failed. And I don't do anything special before shutting of car or anything.

On DAEriks channel I saw that their new Model X AP computer had a USB Type C port, not sure if that would be usable for storage though.

The TeslaCam currently uses about 5GB/h, which is about 1.5MB/s which is even super easy to write on a USB 2 port.

Really interesting project! It would be awesome to just auto upload and remove recorded files when connected to wifi.

How is the wifi signal strength from the Pi zero from inside to an outside access point?