Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another rejection story (Leeds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't want to hijack JS77's thread, but I had a similar rejection story today at Leeds. I posted yesterday saying I was apprehensive about the collection and my fears were justified. I also hope that people from Tesla read this forum and see the kinds of issues that are happening.

The car looked fine as I walked into the store, but while waiting in the lobby I noticed the passenger side rear door was misaligned. On further inspection it was the tip of the iceberg. Off the top of my head this was a list of the issues:

Passenger side rear door misaligned
Driver door misaligned
Boot misaligned
Scuff marks on both side of the rear bumper
Driver seat bunching of the leather
Mark on driver sun visor
One side of the headliner that meets the rear panels was fine, but the other side was way off.
Random hard lump in the passenger headliner
Centre console scratched
Charging port was fine, but the opposite side was sunken quite badly
Aero cover hanging off - no biggie, but shows the lack of attention to detail
Horrible reside and scratches on the circular bar under wireless charger
Marks on the rear site that wouldnt wipe off easily

I didn't even open the frunk as by this point the car was rejected. Other than the two scuffs on the bumper the paintwork actually looked fine, but the car was wet due to a lot of rain today in Leeds so I couldn't even check that thoroughly

The staff were initially shocked I was rejecting it as they said panel misalignment's can be sorted in no time, but it was those and the rest of the issues that led me to my decision. I don't know if he was a manager, but a guy called Triss(I think) was really helpful and basically said if I wasn't happy with the car then he wasn't happy for me to take it and promised to try and get me matched as soon as possible. He said it would either be a few days if they have any inventory or a month if I have to wait for a new one. I said I was happy to wait if it meant the car was right, but I am gutted all the same.

I don't know if he was a manager, but a guy called Triss(I think) was really helpful and basically said if I wasn't happy with the car then he wasn't happy for me to take it and promised to try and get me matched as soon as possible. He said it would either be a few days if they have any inventory or a month if I have to wait for a new one. I said I was happy to wait if it meant the car was right, but I am gutted all the same.

That's a really good offer. If I were the manager, I would be very embarrassed. Can I ask what spec your car was?

There seems little doubt now that something's changed, and that there appears to be a significantly greater incidence of production quality problems than has been the case in recent months. I don't think that what seems to be happening at the moment is just due to more people signing up here to mention their problems.

Reactions: Lucanesque
There seems little doubt now that something's changed, and that there appears to be a significantly greater incidence of production quality problems than has been the case in recent months. I don't think that what seems to be happening at the moment is just due to more people signing up here to mention their problems.

OP joined 24/08. I joined 08/08. Back in those heady days of wonder and excitement.

I would hate to be classed as a 'vocal minority'. According to the stats from this site, there's a 20% chance Tesla will have your new car in for at least one night in the first month. And a 6.01% chance they'll keep the car for a week or longer.

According to the stats from this site, there's a 20% chance Tesla will have your new car in for at least one night in the first month. And a 6.01% chance they'll keep the car for a week or longer.

Probably will be higher in the coming months! My experience to date falls into the latter - and still no idea when I'll get it back as the wait on the phone for them to answer is absolutely ridiculous. I was waiting over 30mins yesterday for them to answer. Waited 40mins today for service to pickup and nothing so gave up. Time and time again they've promised to keep me informed but radio silence (just like the pre-delivery experience). They really need to sharpen up everything but the core driving experience, shoddy build quality and poor customer service are letting them down badly.

Reactions: Cnixon
TBH, I feel for the staff at the SCs. The lady from Bristol rang me about the wake up problem mid-morning, and she told me that I was the 25th owner on her books (so catchment area for Bristol) that she had called that morning. Can't be much fun calling people that are all complaining about faults. I'd hope that all her customers were polite and understanding, but having seen an owner completely lose his rag over quality issues with his car during my last SC visit, I suspect they probably have to deal with a few awkward customers. The sad thing is that it's not the SCs fault at all, they seem to be bending over backwards to correct problems that seem almost universally to be created during production.

I do wonder if these rejected cars just get added straight into the inventory with no work being carried out on them and hope the next person doesn’t kick up a fuss.

I dread the day I get an issue with mine because the attitude of some guys at the SC when I collected mine was pretty poor. I didn’t post up my collection experience but it wasn’t great and I was there for about 2 hours in total but thankfully the issues were only fairly minor, especially compared to the guy collecting his next to me and the stories I’ve seen on here.

The one SC worker had no qualms telling me I’m paying £50k for the technology and the battery, not the build quality or finish.

• Informative
Reactions: Cnixon
I do wonder if these rejected cars just get added straight into the inventory with no work being carried out on them and hope the next person doesn’t kick up a fuss.

I dread the day I get an issue with mine because the attitude of some guys at the SC when I collected mine was pretty poor. I didn’t post up my collection experience but it wasn’t great and I was there for about 2 hours in total but thankfully the issues were only fairly minor, especially compared to the guy collecting his next to me and the stories I’ve seen on here.

The one SC worker had no qualms telling me I’m paying £50k for the technology and the battery, not the build quality or finish.

Wow.

Reactions: JS77
I think it's pretty hard to form an objective opinion based on the OP, some people who hang around in these forums before collecting do tend to get a heightened stress about inspecting everything. I've had my share of issues with the car, but Tesla have been easy and prompt to deal with, and put everything right to my satisfaction. It is a car after all, you can't keep it perfect unless you never drive it.

Sure it's not the same level of service as I had from BMW, but it's definitely better than I had from Nissan, you get what you pay for.

I think it's pretty hard to form an objective opinion based on the OP, some people who hang around in these forums before collecting do tend to get a heightened stress about inspecting everything. I've had my share of issues with the car, but Tesla have been easy and prompt to deal with, and put everything right to my satisfaction. It is a car after all, you can't keep it perfect unless you never drive it.

Sure it's not the same level of service as I had from BMW, but it's definitely better than I had from Nissan, you get what you pay for.

True. For my part, I've bought twice from Hyundai and twice from Toyota and had no problems at all at any time. I've spent double on this car, paid in full and haven't even seen a photo of it or had an explanation of what is wrong with the car I've ordered other than a fault relating to charging.

True. For my part, I've bought twice from Hyundai and twice from Toyota and had no problems at all at any time. I've spent double on this car, paid in full and haven't even seen a photo of it or had an explanation of what is wrong with the car I've ordered other than a fault relating to charging.

Why would you want a photo of a car you'll never see?

You're buying the economy model from Tesla's range, you can't really do a like for like price comparison to an ICE. It would be more fair to set you expectations at a car that costs about £23K.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-25-at-2.34.38-PM-1024x524_grande.png

Why would you want a photo of a car you'll never see?

You're buying the economy model from Tesla's range, you can't really do a like for like price comparison to an ICE. It would be more fair to set you expectations at a car that costs about £23K.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-25-at-2.34.38-PM-1024x524_grande.png
I presume these are American stats, but where does the $8k on maintenance and repairs for the A5 come from? Must have been a lemon. I kept my last but one A6 for almost five years and spent about £1k on main dealer servicing. No repairs.

You want to compare expectations of customer service and vehicle build quality and reliability with ICE vehicles retailing for £23k?

The £23k ICE vehicles will walk all over the £50k Tesla "Economy" 3 any day. The incumbent manufacturers have had a long time and much competition to drive improvements in quality. Tesla doesn't even pay it lip service.