Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another rejection story (Leeds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I presume these are American stats, but where does the $8k on maintenance and repairs for the A5 come from? Must have been a lemon. I kept my last but one A6 for almost five years and spent about £1k on main dealer servicing. No repairs.
Thats will be the quarterly oil changes and tyre rotations they like to do. Best Dealer scam ever, whole nation convinced if you don't do an oil change every 5 minutes the car will die - fascinates me

Reactions: ElRey
I think it's pretty hard to form an objective opinion based on the OP, some people who hang around in these forums before collecting do tend to get a heightened stress about inspecting everything. I've had my share of issues with the car, but Tesla have been easy and prompt to deal with, and put everything right to my satisfaction. It is a car after all, you can't keep it perfect unless you never drive it.

Sure it's not the same level of service as I had from BMW, but it's definitely better than I had from Nissan, you get what you pay for.
I would disagree with that. Nissan cars are very well built they, quite rightly, won't have a process in place to re align doors or fix faults from the factory because there will rarely be any.

Has anyone, and I mean anyone had a car without a single fault from the factory? I'm booked in in a fortnight to get my rear door aligned properly. I ignored the stains on the centre console as I have covered it anyway.

The £23k ICE vehicles will walk all over the £50k Tesla "Economy" 3 any day. The incumbent manufacturers have had a long time and much competition to drive improvements in quality. Tesla doesn't even pay it lip service.

Given you haven't received or seen your Tesla yet I'm not really sure how you can make that assurance. The materials, comfort, convenience and service I have from Tesla is far greater than any £23K car I've had previously. I've never had a car before where they can fix things on my drive, and doesn't need regular servicing. We're all deeply sorry that your delivery has been delayed, but on the grand scale of 2020 it's perhaps not the worst thing this year, if your not happy take a refund and walk away.

I would disagree with that. Nissan cars are very well built they, quite rightly, won't have a process in place to re align doors or fix faults from the factory because there will rarely be any.

I bought a new Qashqai about 10 years ago, on collection the bonnet was covered in little scratches, I refused collection until they sorted it. My local dealers service team was rubbish, you could turn up to collect after a service and have to wait 30 mins to bring your car round hearing them argue with other customers on the phone. They then decided to become a Hyundai garage and it was an hours drive to the next nearest Nissan garage.

Given you haven't received or seen your Tesla yet I'm not really sure how you can make that assurance. The materials, comfort, convenience and service I have from Tesla is far greater than any £23K car I've had previously. I've never had a car before where they can fix things on my drive, and doesn't need regular servicing. We're all deeply sorry that your delivery has been delayed, but on the grand scale of 2020 it's perhaps not the worst thing this year, if your not happy take a refund and walk away.

I bought a new Qashqai about 10 years ago, on collection the bonnet was covered in little scratches, I refused collection until they sorted it. My local dealers service team was rubbish, you could turn up to collect after a service and have to wait 30 mins to bring your car round hearing them argue with other customers on the phone. They then decided to become a Hyundai garage and it was an hours drive to the next nearest Nissan garage.
That must be a rare event. You simple don't here of other cars haven't paintwork and alignment issues form the factory because it's extremely rare they do. I know we are all Tesla fans and we love our cars BUT we simply can't afford to defend their poor quality. I said it before, once the big guns catch up on the battery tech then Tesla is dead in the water. Offered two choices of similar drive trains and body styles, you're bound to pick the one where the front wing has been attached correctly. They simply can't afford such a poor quality product when their USP gets eroded.

I’m still amazed that there are those who will accept, or at least excuse, the poor build quality on many Tesla cars. What is completely unacceptable is the obvious lack of PDI. Any faults should be noted and rectified before the customer sets eyes on the car. It’s outrageous to expect the customer to do their own PDI on the day of collection and then have to make perhaps several visits to a service centre, at their own time and expense, to get often glaringly obvious faults rectified. And, as we’ve heard several times on this forum, if you take your car in to have one fault rectified it’s more than possible that something else will be damaged in the process.

It’s outrageous to expect the customer to do their own PDI on the day of collection

Whats even more important is that customers are not qualified to do PDI's on their car and highly unlikely to be able to spot more than obvious/hidden away issues that are potentially dangerous. Last year, low brake fluid and missing fixings from the underside were not uncommon occurrences. You have to wonder how many cars are driving around with faults that owners are unaware of that would normally be picked up in a PDI.

To answer a few of the questions. The other rejection story on this forum wasn't the only one I was aware of and also there has been an increase in the number of posts where there have been issues.

I agree that you can't keep a car perfect, but you expect it to be perfect (or damn near) when you collect it. Any damage after that is on you, but you expect it to be at least built properly.

Yes, I admit I had a heightened sensitivity to the issues from reading the forums. I am glad a did though. I knew what to look out for and found it easy enough. It wasn't just me. My girlfriends sister took us to the SC. She found issues quicker than I could write down and has no investment in the car at all. It really wasn't difficult to see that it was far from right.

Does it leave you without a car? Yes it could do. I havent sold my old car yet, but I did cancel the insurance and buy insurance for the Tesla. I then added my old car as a temporary vehicle to that policy. Where does that leave me? I need to call the insurance today and try and unravel it all. Then there is the GAP insurance I have to do similar with.

Before I bought the car I expected a few issues. I expected poor communication, I expected a couple of issues with the car and I still wanted it. There were too many issues for a new car. On battery day Elon Musk was saying how Tesla were going to become the best manufacturing company in the world as they increase production. That is laughable when they can't even put together their current crop of cars correctly. Driving home my girlfriends sister asked me if I still wanted a Tesla. I said yes and she couldn't believe it. I am sold on the technology and driving experience. The mass market wont be so forgiving.

Driving home my girlfriends sister asked me if I still wanted a Tesla. I said yes and she couldn't believe it. I am sold on the technology and driving experience. The mass market wont be so forgiving.

It's deeply irritating that we enjoy the technological proposition (in particular, the looks, the performance, software, and the Supercharger network), but we have no choice other than Tesla at this point.

It's as if the iPhone came out, was buggy as hell, but there wasn't an Android operating system to jump to. We'd love the iPhone because it looks nice and works well 90% of the time, but we wished that we could jump ship when it doesn't work otherwise.

But hey, it's on us, right. The obvious retort is "well don't buy it then!".

Reactions: OneTinyFish
I'm due to get my used MS in the next couple of days. Reading threads like this just amazes me.
It's 2020, we have robots building all sorts, and Tesla are sending cars out that appear to be similar in quality to seconds from a shoe factory.
The comment above about Nissan not having a procedure for realgning panels is correct - it simply won't happen.
I've had two TVRs - their policy was it was down to the customer to get panels aligned properly and shoddy build brought up to a certain standard. Tesla seem to be working in the same way.
Bolting panels onto a shell working with tolerances of cm not mm is literally 1980's British Leyland quality.
Paint damage, interior marks, stuff like that is possibly shipping and handover damage, but having a tailgate on the piss by 5mm or critical bolts missing from suspension on a mass produced car is simply incredible in this day and age.
I'd love to know what happens to the rejects. Somebody should be making a note of chassis numbers to see which lease company they pop up at...

Reactions: OneTinyFish

Has anyone, and I mean anyone had a car without a single fault from the factory? I'm booked in in a fortnight to get my rear door aligned properly. I ignored the stains on the centre console as I have covered it anyway.
I collected my M3P at the end of August 2019, which was a particularly frantic delivery period for Tesla. The car was essentially flawless. It had three tiny imperfections in the paint (each appeared to be a fleck of dust that got under the clear coat). They were more apparent by feel rather than by sight. I had already booked the car for a full detail and ceramic coating. The detailing shop handles some very high-end exotics and knows their stuff. They polished out the blemishes without any trace. They noted that is was one of the better paint jobs they had worked with on a Tesla up to that point. So maybe I was just lucky. I'm not going to suggest that every panel gap is perfect, but to the untrained eye and without using a gap gauge they looked and still look petty darned right to me. I do not obsess over my cars and am not one to seek out faults, but in 13 months of ownership my M3P has been nothing but a pleasure.

Whats even more important is that customers are not qualified to do PDI's on their car and highly unlikely to be able to spot more than obvious/hidden away issues that are potentially dangerous. Last year, low brake fluid and missing fixings from the underside were not uncommon occurrences. You have to wonder how many cars are driving around with faults that owners are unaware of that would normally be picked up in a PDI.

Amongst the production faults mine was delivered with were two broken front suspension ball joints. They'd been over-tightened at the factory and parts of the joint had broken up. The car was like this as I drove it out of West Drayton, very obvious as there was a loud clunking noise at low speed from under the front of the car. Everyone that had driven that car at low speed before I picked it must have noticed that noise, it was so loud that passengers commented on it straight away, yet Tesla just didn't care about delivering a car like that. Mine wasn't alone, a whole batch of cars left the factory with exactly the same damage, caused by the torque setting on one of the assembly tools being set way too high, apparently.

as I drove it out of West Drayton

Heathrow is probably the worst delivery center...

To be honest we can all scream about the injusteces, but we need to step back from the picture a bit.

The value proposition of an M3 is sound, otherwise we would not be buying them. So what we have here is Tesla holding all the cards. The cars are not in lots, they dont need to make fancy leather options to sell them, they re supply constraint, so they get away with a lot....

For every person rejecting a car or going online and swearing never to buy Tesla there are 10 people who see them for the first time and want *only* a Tesla. So with that territory comes a lot of arrogance and complaisency.

Rejecting a delivery is absolutely the right approach even if it's a bit painfull. If you want a 5 star experience go get .... ??? *sugar*, i wouldnt want to go to a BMW/Audi? Mersedes stealership even if the cars are better built. The dealerships are even more arrogant than Tesla. But yeah, your eventual delivery will be better, if not the fleasing experience.

Also think of it from a Tesla employee point of view, especially during end of quarter rush. You are not *their* customer, they get no commission and there is a queue of other customers a mile long. "Don't like the car? Move along, dont waste my time..." or at best "Sorry thats all I can give you today, better luck next time".

When it's your first Tesla thats painfull... When it's your second Tesla, you can say, sorry fellas, do better. They will have to improve there, it will just take time. When there are 10 identical cars in the lot they can let you choose from and no customers queuing up, then you will get perfect panel gaps.. Until then...

Big guns like Panasonic? Surely you don't mean auto companies, they dont R&D battery tech at all.

Might want to watch what happens with Hyundai/Kia and their tie up with LG. I get the feeling that they are quietly beavering away to produce EVs that may well become competition for Tesla before too long, especially if Tesla do as they've said, and move down into the traditional Hyundai/Kia market segment.

I test drove a Kona, and it was a pretty good car. Certainly the fit and finish seemed pretty good, although the styling wasn't to my liking at all. Performance was OK, clearly not in the same league as the Model 3, but then it's not in the same category. Range seemed pretty good, too. Korea has been a major player in lithium battery development for a long time now, with LG Chem being in open competition with Tesla for large scale battery storage systems. It seems that the Korean companies tend to keep a lower profile when it comes to technological developments, but they are certainly capable of producing high quality stuff that is well-finished and reliable.

There seems little doubt now that something's changed, and that there appears to be a significantly greater incidence of production quality problems than has been the case in recent months. I don't think that what seems to be happening at the moment is just due to more people signing up here to mention their problems.

That's what happens when you force your labour back to work in an epidemic, no surprise on the impact on quality but there's a buck to be made and someone must have worked out the cost of fixing is less than the cost of lost sales. A bit like the Ford Pinto fuel tanks.

Tesla Employees Accuse Automaker of Covering Up Covid Outbreak