Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet Another Road Trip Report (yawn)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the holidays I took a 7 day long, 2.5K+ mile long road trip. From Nashville, Tennessee to Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and back again. My first really long road trip in my long range RWD model 3, vin 15xxx. Here are some impressions - I know you’ve probably seen one too many of these, and this one will probably be just as boring. It’s kind of like holiday letters. TL,dr is fine.

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 4.02.45 PM.jpg

In general the car was great for this kind of trip! I’ve done similar trips in various ICE sedans and SUV’s, and the only real difference was a slight increase in the fueling time. And that’s fine with me - I like to take too many rest stops anyway, get out and walk around, and this fit in well with that. I was traveling solo, so didn’t have to worry about accommodating other’s needs. The seats are comfortable, the user amenities are on par with anything else. I have arthritic knees that don’t like being bent for long periods, and there wasn’t quite as much room to stretch them out under the dashboard as I used to have in my chevy volt, but it wasn’t a big problem. At one point during the trip, I created a new profile named nap - the seats really recline well! The stereo system is great - I was able to have an adequate variety of things to listen to, and of course the quality is excellent. I do wish they’d hurry up and fix the USB audio system, it would have been nice to have that working correctly.

I used EAP (autopilot) about 98% of the time. It would have been 99%, except for a nasty patch of rain I ran into in Pennsylvania on the return trip at night - there’s a section of interstate 78 where they “borrowed” an old part of state route 22 instead of rebuilding, and the lines are virtually invisible even in the best of conditions. I had to just use TACC for that section. EAP works great for this kind of trip, as long as you follow the basic rules - keep a hand on the wheel, pay attention, and be ready to take over at any moment. You WILL have to take over from time to time, at least to dodge potholes and roadkill and gators. And you learn what’s going to freak out EAP and how to compensate - for instance, if a car moves into the lane to your right just ahead of the car, it panics and slows down - a bit of pressure on the go pedal will compensate. I think I had to take over 20 to maybe 30 times in all, and it was never a big deal.

I gave Nav on Autopilot a try for quite a bit - all the first day, most of the second day, and a bit on the way home. But in general it’s not quite ready for prime time, so to speak, and I stopped using it. Too many prompts to change lanes when it clearly wasn’t the right choice, or there was a lane full of cars I couldn’t change into. And I got a series of prompts to “change lane to maintain course” that made no sense in the circumstances - I reported them via the voice command bug report. I tried a variety of the different lane change prefs, and ended up with mad max, but none of them made a much difference. Perhaps this will get better in time.

The navigation system was a joy to use, and I had it running the whole trip. Even though this is a trip I’ve made many times, and know the route well, the way it chose supercharger stops was really nice to have. I also consulted A Better Route Planner to get an idea of what supercharger options there might be. In general I found the built in software to be a bit more conservative about supercharger stops, which can be a bit dicey in the winter, and on some occasions I stopped earlier to charge just so I wouldn’t be arriving with a really low charge left.

I initially set out with a bit of trepidation related to range anxiety. What if the computer calculates wrong and I don’t make it to the next charger? What if I get to a supercharger and it’s not working? What if there’s a line? (there wasn’t at any of my stops) What if I forget my cable? Which I then promptly did - I had definitely planned on taking my mobile charge cord, and at least getting a trickle charge in the few days I was parked at my brother’s house. But besides that last one, I had no issues like this. The one slight problem I had was a poorly working charger at Sagamore, the last supercharger before Cape Cod - it worked great when I first got there, and I charged all the way up, so I could tool around Cape Cod and show the car off to family. When I went back on the way out, it was hardly working, I was able to only charge up half way in the hour I had. But the next charger was fine, so no big problems.

Here are the superchargers I used -

Cookeville, TN - nearly empty both times I’ve used it. Well located.

Knoxville, TN - busy, was nearly full both times I used it. In a busy mall, can take some time getting in and out. Lots of businesses of all types nearby.

Bristol, TN - in a new mall area, lots of interesting amenities nearby. I was the only one there both times I visited.

Wytheville, VA - this one’s kind of isolated, on the back of a hotel, hard to find. There are a few restaurants nearby, but it’ll take a good walk to get to them.

Lexington, VA - I actually used the destination charger at the nearby Best Western Plus at Hunt Ridge, which is a great hotel I highly recommend. There’s also a regular supercharger location nearby.

Strasburg, VA - The best view! Looks out on the mountains. Several dining and shopping options.

Carlisle, PA - part of a sheetz station/store, a trend that is a good one, maybe. Not much else here except for the sheetz though.

Allentown, PA - small strip mall area, several decent amenities close by.

Tarrytown, NY - next to a Sheraton hotel with a starbucks, and there’s a Stop and Shop, and not much else.

Darien, CT - several in this area, the one I used was in a rest area off I-95. Very convenient.

East Greenwich, RI - on the side of a small strip mall, not very convenient to other services. There’s a grocery store and a Panera and a few other things.

Sagamore Beach, MA - worked well the first time, was barely working the second two times I tried it. Some of that may be weather related - it was around freezing, but I didn’t see similar slow dons at other superchargers.

I also used a chargepoint charger at the Cape Cod Mall to get a bit of charge after the Sagamore beach one failed for me.

IMG_0596.JPG

Hmmm, I'll have to check tomorrow morning. There are a few other number details i was going to add, but forgot. The temperatures varied pretty widely - it was right around freezing in Cape Cod, but high 40's and 50's elsewhere.
Yeah I'd be interested to compare with my 4k mile trip from LA to Nashville and back in November. I was mostly in mid-30s to mid-40s after/until Arizona. My average was 275 wh/mi.

Nice trip.

Just curious, how much did you spend on supercharging?

Assuming they weren’t getting the electricity for free with a referral, I’m guessing it was just over $100 for the 2,500 mile trip.

Some of those charging stops come in at 23 cents/kWh, and some are closer to the roughly 11 cents/kWh rate that I’m used to. I paid $54 for an 1,800 mile trip this summer through the Midwest, paying on average 11.5 cents/kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
275 wh/hr is about 65mph.
Have we become the new slow driving Prius breed?
Ha! Actually my EAP was set on 74-77 the whole trip mostly. Remember I've got RWD.

Just curious, how much did you spend on supercharging?
The total cost was 108.35.

Nice report. Did the little doggie get to go? I haven't allowed my dog in my car.. yet... I've been wondering how the seats respond to little dog nails. (10 lb dachshund that thinks she's human).
No, sorry! My brother's tiny shih-tzu rode with us on a day trip to Provincetown, but was in laps most of the time.

I took a 3200 mile Road trip from Maryland to Houston Tx and back. Model S 75D. rated mile 240 at 100% state of charge. Free Super Charging. I made a spread sheet that tracked miles driven between super chargers (SC) and duration. To do this plot all SC locations. You will get entire Trip time and miles. Next obtain miles and duration between individual SC (I.e. 143 miles 2 hrs, etc.). Autopilot was used 98% except during rain in the dark. I had one experience where the AP alert was actually a red steering wheel with red hands, different from the usual white highlight around the dash bezel. I planned to drive about 400 miles per day, about 8 hrs including charge time. The only other limiter is booking hotels in advance. On day one I cloud have driven another 2 hours but hotel was already booked.

Tips
1. Adjust steering wheel before charging otherwise you won't be able to rotate it like you want.
2. Investigate charging options at your destination if staying in destination location. There was a local SC about 8 miles away from my brothers house during my stay.
3. Destination charge percentage seems to increase when starting to drive than that shown after immediately charging. (I.e. 7% verses 20%). It always rose to a higher % after driving again.
4. Set car to range mode to conserve energy. AC and Heat are not as effective though, but you can get the car comfortable.
5. Set energy to 5 minutes interval on energy consumption graph to see when car is going up and down inclines. You can also tell when you are running efficient when your projected miles are more than miles displayed on odometer.
6. When navigating don’t forget to press begin trip or continue trip, it shows more details when you do.
7. When car is set to 100% car will charge enough to get you to next destination. If you don’t pay attention car will reset to continue to charge to 100% wasting time.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Zero260-what your temps, speed and wh/mi? I am contemplating trip from Boston to VT but wary of road surface friction (weather) and temps down to -10F at my location.
I took a 3200 mile Road trip from Maryland to Houston Tx and back. Model S 75D. rated mile 240 at 100% state of charge. Free Super Charging. I made a spread sheet that tracked miles driven between super chargers (SC) and duration. To do this plot all SC locations. You will get entire Trip time and miles. Next obtain miles and duration between individual SC (I.e. 143 miles 2 hrs, etc.). Autopilot was used 98% except during rain in the dark. I had one experience where the AP alert was actually a red steering wheel with red hands, different from the usual white highlight around the dash bezel. I planned to drive about 400 miles per day, about 8 hrs including charge time. The only other limiter is booking hotels in advance. On day one I cloud have driven another 2 hours but hotel was already booked.

Tips
1. Adjust steering wheel before charging otherwise you won't be able to rotate it like you want.
2. Investigate charging options at your destination if staying in destination location. There was a local SC about 8 miles away from my brothers house during my stay.
3. Destination charge percentage seems to increase when starting to drive than that shown after immediately charging. (I.e. 7% verses 20%). It always rose to a higher % after driving again.
4. Set car to range mode to conserve energy. AC and Heat are not as effective though, but you can get the car comfortable.
5. Set energy to 5 minutes interval on energy consumption graph to see when car is going up and down inclines. You can also tell when you are running efficient when your projected miles are more than miles displayed on odometer.
6. When navigating don’t forget to press begin trip or continue trip, it shows more details when you do.
7. When car is set to 100% car will charge enough to get you to next destination. If you don’t pay attention car will reset to continue to charge to 100% wasting time.

Over the holidays I took a 7 day long, 2.5K+ mile long road trip. From Nashville, Tennessee to Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and back again. My first really long road trip in my long range RWD model 3, vin 15xxx. Here are some impressions - I know you’ve probably seen one too many of these, and this one will probably be just as boring. It’s kind of like holiday letters. TL,dr is fine.

View attachment 365617

In general the car was great for this kind of trip! I’ve done similar trips in various ICE sedans and SUV’s, and the only real difference was a slight increase in the fueling time. And that’s fine with me - I like to take too many rest stops anyway, get out and walk around, and this fit in well with that. I was traveling solo, so didn’t have to worry about accommodating other’s needs. The seats are comfortable, the user amenities are on par with anything else. I have arthritic knees that don’t like being bent for long periods, and there wasn’t quite as much room to stretch them out under the dashboard as I used to have in my chevy volt, but it wasn’t a big problem. At one point during the trip, I created a new profile named nap - the seats really recline well! The stereo system is great - I was able to have an adequate variety of things to listen to, and of course the quality is excellent. I do wish they’d hurry up and fix the USB audio system, it would have been nice to have that working correctly.

I used EAP (autopilot) about 98% of the time. It would have been 99%, except for a nasty patch of rain I ran into in Pennsylvania on the return trip at night - there’s a section of interstate 78 where they “borrowed” an old part of state route 22 instead of rebuilding, and the lines are virtually invisible even in the best of conditions. I had to just use TACC for that section. EAP works great for this kind of trip, as long as you follow the basic rules - keep a hand on the wheel, pay attention, and be ready to take over at any moment. You WILL have to take over from time to time, at least to dodge potholes and roadkill and gators. And you learn what’s going to freak out EAP and how to compensate - for instance, if a car moves into the lane to your right just ahead of the car, it panics and slows down - a bit of pressure on the go pedal will compensate. I think I had to take over 20 to maybe 30 times in all, and it was never a big deal.

I gave Nav on Autopilot a try for quite a bit - all the first day, most of the second day, and a bit on the way home. But in general it’s not quite ready for prime time, so to speak, and I stopped using it. Too many prompts to change lanes when it clearly wasn’t the right choice, or there was a lane full of cars I couldn’t change into. And I got a series of prompts to “change lane to maintain course” that made no sense in the circumstances - I reported them via the voice command bug report. I tried a variety of the different lane change prefs, and ended up with mad max, but none of them made a much difference. Perhaps this will get better in time.

The navigation system was a joy to use, and I had it running the whole trip. Even though this is a trip I’ve made many times, and know the route well, the way it chose supercharger stops was really nice to have. I also consulted A Better Route Planner to get an idea of what supercharger options there might be. In general I found the built in software to be a bit more conservative about supercharger stops, which can be a bit dicey in the winter, and on some occasions I stopped earlier to charge just so I wouldn’t be arriving with a really low charge left.

I initially set out with a bit of trepidation related to range anxiety. What if the computer calculates wrong and I don’t make it to the next charger? What if I get to a supercharger and it’s not working? What if there’s a line? (there wasn’t at any of my stops) What if I forget my cable? Which I then promptly did - I had definitely planned on taking my mobile charge cord, and at least getting a trickle charge in the few days I was parked at my brother’s house. But besides that last one, I had no issues like this. The one slight problem I had was a poorly working charger at Sagamore, the last supercharger before Cape Cod - it worked great when I first got there, and I charged all the way up, so I could tool around Cape Cod and show the car off to family. When I went back on the way out, it was hardly working, I was able to only charge up half way in the hour I had. But the next charger was fine, so no big problems.

Here are the superchargers I used -

Cookeville, TN - nearly empty both times I’ve used it. Well located.

Knoxville, TN - busy, was nearly full both times I used it. In a busy mall, can take some time getting in and out. Lots of businesses of all types nearby.

Bristol, TN - in a new mall area, lots of interesting amenities nearby. I was the only one there both times I visited.

Wytheville, VA - this one’s kind of isolated, on the back of a hotel, hard to find. There are a few restaurants nearby, but it’ll take a good walk to get to them.

Lexington, VA - I actually used the destination charger at the nearby Best Western Plus at Hunt Ridge, which is a great hotel I highly recommend. There’s also a regular supercharger location nearby.

Strasburg, VA - The best view! Looks out on the mountains. Several dining and shopping options.

Carlisle, PA - part of a sheetz station/store, a trend that is a good one, maybe. Not much else here except for the sheetz though.

Allentown, PA - small strip mall area, several decent amenities close by.

Tarrytown, NY - next to a Sheraton hotel with a starbucks, and there’s a Stop and Shop, and not much else.

Darien, CT - several in this area, the one I used was in a rest area off I-95. Very convenient.

East Greenwich, RI - on the side of a small strip mall, not very convenient to other services. There’s a grocery store and a Panera and a few other things.

Sagamore Beach, MA - worked well the first time, was barely working the second two times I tried it. Some of that may be weather related - it was around freezing, but I didn’t see similar slow dons at other superchargers.

I also used a chargepoint charger at the Cape Cod Mall to get a bit of charge after the Sagamore beach one failed for me.

View attachment 365618

Hi there,
I am also in the Nashville area, (Hendersonville,) and I have had to make 6 road trips to Memphis in the past 8 months. I am happy to hear you had an uneventful trip and a good one. I have noticed while in Memphis using the Super Charger there, that up until this past trip, there were hardly EVER any other cars charging. Maybe one, but more of the time NONE. This trip (I just got back last night,) there were 3-4, sometimes 5 cars charging and this is a drastic difference. Most were Model 3s which makes sense. I even spoke to a couple who just got their Model 3 in December, like I imagine most did and forgot to ask about charging costs. They live in Memphis and I was surprised to see someone who lives there charging at a Super Charger especially when it's not free. Maybe they had the 6 months free, I don't know, but that was unusual to me.
I have had excellent experiences with all of the Super Chargers between Nashville and Memphis, which would be: Dickson, TN and Jackson, TN. I am very happy and I look forward to perhaps a long road trip in the near future. Thank you for your detailed submission. It was interesting to read and I enjoyed it.