Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet Another Self Install of the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not meant to be a step-by-step guide, just a series of comments for those who have already read all of the great detailed posts in this forum.

Camera -- I decided to get the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH because of its unique "Cloud" feature. Having to switch WiFi on my iPhone to access the camera and only being able to do so while in the car makes no sense to me.

Seller -- I am not associated with them but got mine from Dash Cam | Car Dash Cameras | DashCams | BlackboxMyCar because of their pre-sales support.

Tools -- I used Amazon.com: TCBunny® Portable 4Pcs Auto Car Radio Door Clip Panel Trim Dash Audio Removal Installer Pry Tool: Automotive but did not need to use 50 Ft. Nylon Fish Tape - Electrical Fish Tape - Amazon.com

Internet Access -- I got the AT&T Unite Pro (made by Netgear). It is conveniently powered from USB and has an internal battery that keeps it alive for quite a while (depending on usage). It will cost you $50 upfront and $20/month. I wished Tesla would provide in-car WiFi hotspot leveraging the existing LTE modem but I understand that usage would go thru the roof.

Power -- My car is a Feb 2015 AP and I do have the always-on power connector above the mic grille. I used RC Hitec Jr Futaba Set Male Female Servo Connector Gold Plated Plug | eBay for connector. I stained the leads and then crimped the connectors. Easy.

Installation -- I installed the camera "under" the AP camera assembly (behind the mirror). See below. I can't see it from the driver's seat.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Cable -- Running the cable all the way to the back of the car was easier than I expected using the above pry tools. The only places I had to remove anything were (1) the internal cover of the AP camera (I created a notch for the cables to exit at the bottom), (2) the "A" pillar cover and (3) the bottom trim of the trunk cover (with the trunk open) where I made two holes for the cable to go thru. The only place were I "cheated" a bit was on negotiating the gap to the trunk cover (see below). It is not perfect but doesn't bother me at all. From the driver's seat I can't see it.

IMG_1597.JPG

Install is just 24 hours old. All appears OK except for what appears to be intermittent GPS signal. I wonder if it caused by the windshield coating.

I realize that it's still new to you, but what do you think of the Blackvue Cloud usability so far?

As for the intermittent GPS signal, I remember someone was trying to figure out if an external GPS antenna could be weird in without too much work. I don't recall seeing if they had any luck though. The metallic windshield is the problem, same reason why toll tags don't work reliably either.

A Blackvue Cloud User Guide for Dummies would be really useful. I've never gotten it to work. There are funny things that happen with trying to get it to work with iPhones after several attempts and having to reboot my phone so that it could access my local wifi, I gave up.

I actually downgraded back to the non-cloud version. Cloud seemed buggy and without having a wireless access point built into the car I don't think there's as much benefit. There was somebody that posted saying they had a wireless extender and it would automatically backup the files to their synology nas. I thought that was a pretty cool solution if a walkthrough could be created.

Blackvue Cloud

I realize that it's still new to you, but what do you think of the Blackvue Cloud usability so far?

As for the intermittent GPS signal, I remember someone was trying to figure out if an external GPS antenna could be weird in without too much work. I don't recall seeing if they had any luck though. The metallic windshield is the problem, same reason why toll tags don't work reliably either.

Again, having the Blackvue act as an WAP and have my iPhone be a "client" to the camera seems like a very clunky solution to me. So, I am leveraging the Cloud service and have:

1) Blackvue connected to an AT&T Unite Pro in car

2) iPhone connected to the Internet via any usual means.

Via the Blackvue Cloud service I can, from anywhere:

- View live images (back and forth)
- View recorded videos (and copy them to Cloud and/or iPhone)
- Receive notifications on iPhone (iOS notifications) about events like motion detected. I have these turned off for now because I was getting too many of them. I need to play with the sensitivities.
- Change camera settings

I think the only thing I can't do via the Cloud is update the firmware of the camera.

Response time is a bit slow but OK.

I can't comment of stability of the service yet (have had the camera for 24 hours and the cloud service for a few hours)

I also don't know if Blackvue imposes limits on usage or how much data I will be using off of my AT&T plan.

Finally, I would love to have a mechanism to automatically download all files to my home network, via home WiFi, when I get home. I don't see how that would be done.

I also don't know if Blackvue imposes limits on usage or how much data I will be using off of my AT&T plan.

The BlackVue C app allows you to create a free account easily. Your free BlackVue Over the Cloud account includes the following:

• 10 minutes daily Live View

Stream real-time video from your BlackVue
    Reinitialized every day.
  • 3 BlackVue Dashcams

Register up to 3 BlackVue dashcams per account.
  • 10 GB of Cloud storage

10 GB to back up your video files in the Cloud
  • 100 Downloads per month

100 downloads or replays of videos from the Cloud or the dashcam's SD card per month.

I actually downgraded back to the non-cloud version. Cloud seemed buggy and without having a wireless access point built into the car I don't think there's as much benefit. There was somebody that posted saying they had a wireless extender and it would automatically backup the files to their synology nas. I thought that was a pretty cool solution if a walkthrough could be created.

I downgraded back to 1.x myself. The 1.x version can be set to higher quality video bitrates (9 Mbps or so, I think), while the 2.x version is fixed at 6 Mbps. The compression artifacts are quite visible in the 6 Mbps files.

Having the AT&T Unite Pro connected to the cigarette light adapter is not a good option. Although it has an internal battery, my daily driving time is not enough to charge it.

I am planning to connect it to the OBD port and velcro it to the underside of the dashboard.

I must be cheap but $20 a month for unlimited data seems pricey to me to access your dashcam from anywhere. I do have to admit that being able to view from anywhere sounds enticing, though. I'll be attempting my install either tonight or tomorrow now that I'm receiving the necessary components to hook into the 12v in the microphone grill.

UPDATE -- I've tried the AT&T Unite Pro for two weeks and do NOT recommend it because it is not happy staying on 24x7. I am currently using a Cradlepoint CBR 400 with an AT&T USB stick and have found the combo to be way more stable than the AT&T Unite Pro. Given that the Cradlepoint CBR 400 has been EOL for a couple of years and the replacements by Cradlepoint itself are rather expensive, I am considering the Pepwave Surf On-The-Go The advantage of using one of these routers is that you can configure it to connect to one of a list of pre-configured WiFi networks and when none is available, use an USB LTE external modem. I am currently powering the router from the OBD port with circuitry to limit voltage to 12V.

1NJ85D - thanks for the heads up. Just installed the DR650GW-2CH last week and was going to try the Unite Pro hotspot with AT&T and you saved me the trouble.

The Pepwave Surf On-The-Go looks exactly what I was looking for. The ability to use wifi when in range and then switch to LTE is great. Never heard of this device before, thank you for sharing. I'm reading up on it now.

• Funny
Reactions: bradjc
has anyone figured out how to connect the BlackVue cloud service to their NAS? I don't need "live" backing up to the NAS while on the road -- would be satisfied with it just backing up when my car sees wifi in my driveway.

has anyone figured out how to connect the BlackVue cloud service to their NAS? I don't need "live" backing up to the NAS while on the road -- would be satisfied with it just backing up when my car sees wifi in my driveway.
I would love NAS integration, but I don't have the cloud service. I thought I saw a post somewhere around here that someone had done it but then they disappeared, I think.

Having the AT&T Unite Pro connected to the cigarette light adapter is not a good option. Although it has an internal battery, my daily driving time is not enough to charge it.

I am planning to connect it to the OBD port and velcro it to the underside of the dashboard.
I am a newbie here. I just installed my Blackvue 2 CH system and have powered it through my cigarette lighter which I do not regard as the best choice. What is OBD? What other options do you suggest? Also there is no power now in my 2015 TS in the mic box in the ceiling. I am looking for continuous power and think there might be a fuse box by the driver's door.
Another question-if the camera is on continuously-is there a problem when using a supercharger-does this surge too much power throughout the whole electrical system?

I also connect my Blackvue 2CH system through my cigarette lighter, still can't find OBDII to 12v adapter from anyone in US.

On the other hand, I'm thinking to buy a portable car jump starter battery and a Ec5 Cigarette Lighter Socket adapter, so I can run the Blackvue without tapping into Tesla 12v battery.

Amazon.com: [Quick Charge 3.0 & USB C]BEATIT TECH 500A Peak 10800mAh Portable Jump Starter Power Pack Phone Power Bank With USB Type-C 5V/3A Port Auto Battery Pack Booster Charger: Automotive

Amazon.com: LOTUS POWER Ec5 Cigarette Lighter Socket Adaptor for Mini Car Battery Booster mini car jump starter: Automotive

I am a newbie here.
Another question-if the camera is on continuously-is there a problem when using a supercharger-does this surge too much power throughout the whole electrical system?
no ... supercharging has no effect. Supercharging is for the high-voltage main battery pack. The 12v system that powers your dascam is from a 12v battery. It's a separate system. The only interaction between the main battery and the 12v battery is via a DC-DC converter that recharges the 12v battery as needed from the main battery. This has nothing to do with Supercharging.

no ... supercharging has no effect. Supercharging is for the high-voltage main battery pack. The 12v system that powers your dascam is from a 12v battery. It's a separate system. The only interaction between the main battery and the 12v battery is via a DC-DC converter that recharges the 12v battery as needed from the main battery. This has nothing to do with Supercharging.
Thanks. :)

Just installed mine yesterday, very easy to do yourself. The only complicated part for me was to get if from the grommet hole in the upper lift gate, and to the under panel by the rear window. I didn't want to have wire exposed by the headliner/rubber seal since that can cause a leak.

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed in the whole "Cloud" feature, along with it being useless at night. I'll probably end up selling mine to get the one that has IR. I agree with one of the previous posters that I'm not paying $20 per month or more just to have a wireless access point for the camera.

Also, the videos by others users greatly helped out when trying to figure out the complicated user interface for the "Cloud."