Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another Tesla encounter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
I hooked up with user jweinstein, as he offered me a ride in his Tesla Model S P85. We went for a run and dinner, and he even let me drive his car, yay!

I - just - cannot - wait!

So this was yet another fix, to keep me going until my own delivery.

From a red light (me driving), we just took off, the other cars being all but tiny boxes in the mirror. Not speeding, just leaving them all behind, to let them speed (to catch up haha!). Then we decided on a restaurant, needed to make a U-turn. All the 3 pole positions were taken, but in the right lane, a taxi was making a right turn (on red), so that lane was getting cleared I knew - despite us needing to go left just after the traffic light. So I took the right lane, and on green, floored it to easily make the left lane just ahead, so I could do the U-turn back. I kept clicking cruise-control instead of the turn signal arm, as they are somewhat close together - something to get used to eventually. Not sure how it is in the RHD model S though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpykVWiEZTU

On that note, upon my query to Tesla, they have said that as one of the first non-sigs in HK, it looks like mid August for me.

I saw his HPWC, which is 100 amp (80 to the car), and we fiddled a bit around with it, with the dip switches. It had some kind of problem, but we fixed it :)

The first one melted, so this was a replacement model he only had for a few weeks. Once we got it up and running, he was getting charged at 55 miles pr hour, pretty darn fast!

USA HPWC Wall Charger (100-80 amps) - Anchorage.JPG

A good day to run, this is after 9pm and it isn't even summer yet:

Tesla Meetup ANC.JPG

Cold, fresh air of Alaska - in Hong Kong, this would have been "Cold weather warning", but in Alaska, it's a heat wave :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've been told my one would be in the first non-signature batch and be delivered mid September. So either they gave you the wrong delivery or my one is not in the first batch ... 

Would you care to enter your details her, Vmax?

HK: Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery

I'm sequence #114, which I would imagine makes me #15 of the non-sig HK orders.

Since the estimate is floating some time around 3-4 months from now, I guess that's the rubber band of it.

DITB, done

Since it seems #100 is the first non-sig order, I could imagine you might have over 250 non-sig deliveries before yours.

On the other hand, if that holds true, including you were told mid September, and I was told mid August, that would mean Tesla plan to deliver 300 cars in one month, 10 a day?

Something doesn't add up, so most probably, to distract the enemies from getting sales data, Tesla Motors probably skipped a lot of numbers.

Doing some reverse engineering, it seems a lot like the 100 series are 2012 non-sig orders, while the 200 series are 2013, and 300 series 2014? I realise there is one on the list, lx3h, who is 7 days short of complying with this rule.

Looking back at the numbers, look at this:

#100 - 26/2 2014
#103 - Nov 2012
#114 - Dec 2012
#204 - Mar 2013
#236 - June 2013
#238 - May 2013
#378 - 23 Dec 2013
#395 - Jan 2014
#??? - 24 Feb 2014

Then try to remove the first digit:

#00 - 26/2 2014
#03 - Nov 2012
#14 - Dec 2012
#04 - Mar 2013
#36 - June 2013
#38 - May 2013
#78 - 23 Dec 2013
#95 - Jan 2014
#??? - 24 Feb 2014
I thought I saw a pattern, but #204 doesn't fit in. Yet it's the only number we have that goes back in sequence, while only looking at the digits 2 and 3.

Yet I am still wondering - is #395 really #296 in the queue (less cancellations?). I think not. I am quite sure TM skipped some, as in possibly

1-99 Signature
100-1XX early non-signature deliveries
200-2XX maybe a jump up to #200 following New Year 2012/13?
3XX- some time during the fall of 2013, maybe following a major TM event/announcement, jumping either to 300 or even 350?

After the FRT extension was released a few months ago, it seems sequence numbers are no longer given, only RNXXXXXX.

TM, I am quite sure you don't plan to deliver 300 Model S in 30 days in Hong Kong. But if you do, I will be duly impressed!

Early this year I heard something of about 500 orders for HK, but nobody will give you an exact figure. I believe when Tesla abolished their 13amp charging, they received a lot of cancelations.
I can't see how all the required wallboxes will be installed in time at buyers homes. EV Power is extremely busy on so will be other qualified electricians for the job.
I just can recommend every buyer to start with the installation of their wallbox asap.

Early this year I heard something of about 500 orders for HK, but nobody will give you an exact figure. I believe when Tesla abolished their 13amp charging, they received a lot of cancelations.
I can't see how all the required wallboxes will be installed in time at buyers homes. EV Power is extremely busy on so will be other qualified electricians for the job.
I just can recommend every buyer to start with the installation of their wallbox asap.

As so many other Hongkongers, I don't own the parking area where I am going to park. The management seems positive to install a series of chargers there, though I think they will not be Tesla specific, but some kind of common standard.