Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another thread about locals using Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I have stated on almost every other new Supercharger thread, "I guess you won't be needing it then!"
I get tired of this refrain, because:

a) for various reasons, not everyone has a GREAT charging setup at home (this is often stated as a rebuke),

but also...

b) who wouldn't want a supercharger nearby as backup? There could be a power outage that affects part of your town. There could be construction or remodeling that affects your home charging location. Etc.

and...

c) The reality is that for most Tesla owners, the supercharger they use most is the one closest to their house. The reasons for this should be obvious. The possible exception is very dense supercharger areas such as SF and LA, but for the most part, I would bet that the most-used supercharger for over 50% of Tesla owners is the one nearest their house, and for the rest, that supercharger is probably in their top 3 most used.

I get tired of this refrain, because:

a) for various reasons, not everyone has a GREAT charging setup at home (this is often stated as a rebuke),

but also...

b) who wouldn't want a supercharger nearby as backup? There could be a power outage that affects part of your town. There could be construction or remodeling that affects your home charging location. Etc.

and...

c) The reality is that for most Tesla owners, the supercharger they use most is the one closest to their house. The reasons for this should be obvious. The possible exception is very dense supercharger areas such as SF and LA, but for the most part, I would bet that the most-used supercharger for over 50% of Tesla owners is the one nearest their house, and for the rest, that supercharger is probably in their top 3 most used.
I get what you are saying. And although this has been hashed out on multiple different threads, I think it is acceptable to repeat here as it pertains to this site.
The poster I quoted above said he was "5 minutes" from his "house".
1) Most people with a house (not an apartment) can readily install charging. Yes, there are exceptions.
2) I have no issue with locals using a supercharger if the need arises, or if they cannot install a home set-up for whatever reasons (as long as they leave when done charging)
3) I live 10 minutes from a supercharger, and perhaps 15 minutes from 2 or 3 others, yet, those are my LEAST used superchargers. I do not need to use them on my way out of town, as I have already prepared for the trip, and rarely on the way back, only if I am really low and would like some reserve in case I need to run an errand when I return. The superchargers I use most are at least 50 miles away, and typically at least 100 miles away. I guess I fall into that exception of being in a dense area, but that's the region to which this specific thread refers, correct?
4) Yes, a back-up is awesome, and I too like having them nearby. Again, I will use them very little.

I guess I'm not like most Tesla owners. o_O

I've actually never used the Supercharger that is closest to my house. It's 23 miles away. I have used the Supercharger on the way to the airport a couple times since it is close to the airport and the round trip drive is over 90 miles. The Supercharger that I've actually used the most is 212 miles from my house.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgpcolorado
I live few miles away from SC and the only times I use it are when I won't have enough time to charge overnight or when I know we are going to travel extensively in the next few hours/days (such as now, with family and friends in town). To put it another way, in the last few weeks I have used this SC more times than in the whole period of ownership of the car combined.

Still, being holidays and all, I am ALWAYS considerate to people who might need it more than me. Case in point, a gentleman pulled into adjacent stall few seconds after me. Rather than being a jacka$$ and pretending "me first" I asked him where he's headed and if in hurry (TX license plate, so couldn't tell immediately). As a matter of fact he was on his way to customer some 100 miles away, so I unplugged and let him take advantage of higher charge rate. This is what I call common sense and courtesy, but unfortunately too many times it is not as common.

Reactions: jeffro01
everyone just needs to stop talking about it... If Tesla doesn't want locals to charge up at a SC then TESLA will put electronic measures in place. They did the idol fee, so the next step is GEO fencing, and or charging you to use the one just down the road or some other means.

I live few miles away from SC and the only times I use it are when I won't have enough time to charge overnight or when I know we are going to travel extensively in the next few hours/days (such as now, with family and friends in town). To put it another way, in the last few weeks I have used this SC more times than in the whole period of ownership of the car combined.

So you found your local supercharger to be useful which was my point.

Reactions: arcus
I've used the one closest to my house once in 2+ years of ownership... Granted we're rare SC customers as we don't take many long road trips but I'd rather use one father away coming home and arrive with close to 0 rather than waste the "local" station when I'm "close" to home...

Jeff

I use the local superchargers on a regular basis. I drive 250-300 miles some days. I have 80 amp charger at work. I have a 40 amp charger at home. I have a quote for a $30,000 DC charger (if it was $10K I would do it). Sometimes I need the supercharger or I need to switch vehicles.

Ok, some people abuse it - I understand. But Tesla has the ability to limit abusers if they want. My hope - Tesla will makel enough model 3 pay per charging fees to significantly upgrade the super charger locations.