Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another totaled Model Y. What will be the appraisal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model y was an unfortunate victim of a hydroplane incident on US101 in California. We skidded off the southbound and hit a truck in the northbound lane. Thankfully nobody was hurt. Now obviously this is totaled, but just checking with you folks as to how the appraisal process is. I have insurance from Tesla. Will they be reasonable about what they give? Should I be negotiating? Mine is LR AWD with Gemini and no FSD. Will we have enough to offset the cost of a new MY?

IMG_20211222_162602.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Terminator857
My model y was an unfortunate victim of a hydroplane incident on US101 in California. We skidded off the southbound and hit a truck in the northbound lane. Thankfully nobody was hurt. Now obviously this is totaled, but just checking with you folks as to how the appraisal process is. I have insurance from Tesla. Will they be reasonable about what they give? Should I be negotiating? Mine is LR AWD with Gemini and no FSD. Will we have enough to offset the cost of a new MY?

View attachment 747727
Only your insurance company can answer these questions.

Upvote 0
My question is about the general experience of at-fault crashes whether the insurance guys usually tend to low-ball a lot, etc.. thanks for your response.
Of course they will lowball you. Their job is to pay out as little as possible.

Even if they gave you every dollar you paid for the car, is that enough to get you a new one in this market? Probably not.

Upvote 0
Of course they will lowball you. Their job is to pay out as little as possible.

Even if they gave you every dollar you paid for the car, is that enough to get you a new one in this market? Probably not.
Depends. If you have GAP or replacement cost insurance then no. Also given the used car valuation insanity right now, it would be hard *not* to get a decent outcome. What's past is not prologue, or some such witty saying, given the upside down dynamics of the car market.

Reactions: Cobe
Upvote 0
OP: were you driving over the speed limit ?

Tesla will know, but I'm not sure how it will affect appraisal if that is the situation
It won't. Market value is what drives the appraisal. Just went through the process with State Farm, though not with a Tesla, but they basically looked at the sale price of comparable cars to derive their appraisal.

Reactions: Wolfhausen
Upvote 0
I’m fairly confident you’ll get offered more money than what you paid… especially since you had no FSD. MY values are absurdly high right now.

Food for thought… enter your MY’s info into vroom for an offer (in the condition before the accident). Then you have at least a legitimate figure to argue with the insurance company if they attempt to low ball.

Upvote 0
I suggest putting in a quote request from all the used car dealers that have an online presence (e.g., Carmax, Shift, Carvana, Vroom, etc.) and that should be your absolute floor pricing. Save those quotes and be prepared to negotiate.

What you paid should have no bearing on the evaluation. They should provide an evaluation based on you being able to purchase a similar car at the time of loss. Your evaluation will include sales tax and it may seem like a lot more than it really is. You have to pay sales or use tax on the replacement car so make sure you review the pre-tax price.

I'm glad you were able to walk away. Good luck and happy holidays!

Reactions: Wolfhausen
Upvote 0
I’m interested in whether regen braking or traction control made my hydroplane accident worse. Heavy rain but slowed down to slower than surrounding traffic. Severe and sudden counter clockwise rotation crashed the car into median at around 65mph. 38k on tires at 45psi. Over a million miles all weather experience but this was unprecedented.

Upvote 0
Nobody knows used Tesla pricing better than Tesla. They know what it will take to replace your car with an equilivent model.

They will also have accurate information as your speed, steering angle, position of the throttle/brakes etc. at the time of the loss of control.

Imagine they will be able to negotiate a fair offer with your as to replacement value. Be aware that their first offer may not be their final offer.

Upvote 0