Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another TPMS for Roadster 1.5 thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steve Hand reported that he bought the $36 ones (TPMS TT-0011 on your cited page) via Amazon "sold by" Wheel1x. Tesla installed them for him at $50 per tire for rebalancing, etc., and tested the TPMS.

Before seeing Steve Hand's report, I bought the $73 ones that are claimed to be the same as the originals because my installer was more comfortable with that choice. I got mine from tpms.com in Irvine.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgh and dhrivnak
Steve, do you know if these TPMS parts will work on 2.0 and 2.5 roadsters? Unbelievably, I need 4 sets of these now. I've already had the TPMS sensors replaced for the 2.5s, but the TPMS lights have returned. For my 2 1.5s, both TPMS warnings came on within a week of each other.

Steve, do you know if these TPMS parts will work on 2.0 and 2.5 roadsters? Unbelievably, I need 4 sets of these now. I've already had the TPMS sensors replaced for the 2.5s, but the TPMS lights have returned. For my 2 1.5s, both TPMS warnings came on within a week of each other.

The 2.0 tpms sensors are cheap from Tesla. Maybe $30? I replaced two of them last year.

Agreed, the 1.5 TPMS thread(s) and these solutions were from my hunt to find an affordable alternative to the $400-$500 Tesla priced one which we were stuck to. There's no need to go any other route then Tesla for the 2.x's since they already are at an affordable price point.

While we're on topic, I believe when all 4 TPMS units are dead the VDS will display a TPMS hardware error. This is most likely due to the fact there's no heart-beat coming from any TPMS sensor, so it faults out as if the TPMS hardware is the issue which it isn't.

So I don't know whether this is an option for North American cars based on local laws, but I've just had my TPMS disabled after seeing faults once every 6 months or so, my SC disabled the TPMS for about $60. I've now fitted an aftermarket system which uses a bluetooth connected unit which sits in the car (with a solar cell facing outward to charge it e.g. no battery needed or connection), and four sensors on each wheel monitoring pressure, temperature etc. Dead simple to install, seems reliable and removes any issues for the typical failure of sensor, antenna or control system I was previously installed. Unit installed details here: FIT2GO Tyre Pressure Monitoring System TPMS Receiver 4 Sensors User Friendly | eBay

I'm much happier with this than the original system, less elegant but more reliable, and easy to fit / remove etc.

Agreed, the 1.5 TPMS thread(s) and these solutions were from my hunt to find an affordable alternative to the $400-$500 Tesla priced one which we were stuck to. There's no need to go any other route then Tesla for the 2.x's since they already are at an affordable price point.

While we're on topic, I believe when all 4 TPMS units are dead the VDS will display a TPMS hardware error. This is most likely due to the fact there's no heart-beat coming from any TPMS sensor, so it faults out as if the TPMS hardware is the issue which it isn't.

But if you can see pressure readings for the 4 tires on the VDS, that would seem to imply that the 'TPMS Hardware Failure' message is not due to 4 failed sensors, correct? If so, what exact part has failed and needs replacement?

So I don't know whether this is an option for North American cars based on local laws, but I've just had my TPMS disabled after seeing faults once every 6 months or so, my SC disabled the TPMS for about $60. I've now fitted an aftermarket system which uses a bluetooth connected unit which sits in the car (with a solar cell facing outward to charge it e.g. no battery needed or connection), and four sensors on each wheel monitoring pressure, temperature etc. Dead simple to install, seems reliable and removes any issues for the typical failure of sensor, antenna or control system I was previously installed. Unit installed details here: FIT2GO Tyre Pressure Monitoring System TPMS Receiver 4 Sensors User Friendly | eBay

I'm much happier with this than the original system, less elegant but more reliable, and easy to fit / remove etc.

Thanks for sharing this info, Kerios - this sounds like a very good workaround - bypassing/replacing a problematic system with a simpler and more reliable one. There are inexpensive after-market 'freestanding' TPMS monitoring systems available in the US as well. But is disabling the TPMS system an option in the US? - Although it is widely done by many car owners for sure (Mr. Google will tell you that), I believe TPMS is a federal mandate and thus disabling it may be illegal ... which seems illogical if you are going to replace it with a better TPMS monitoring system! Appreciate others' thoughts on this..

But if you can see pressure readings for the 4 tires on the VDS, that would seem to imply that the 'TPMS Hardware Failure' message is not due to 4 failed sensors, correct? If so, what exact part has failed and needs replacement?

If you can see pressure readings in the VDS then it appears the TPMS sensors are functioning. I believe you can take the Roadster to any tire shop and they should be at minimum be able to read the TPMS battery level. I'd check that out first, but don't hold me to that. Its a "should" that they can read the battery levels. If battery levels are good I'd then start looking at your antennas and connections.

If you're technical and want to hunt further, I'd read up on that 2.x TPMS thread that started out as a funny rant but now full of great information. You can start capturing data and see who / what is working and who / what is not in the system.

As for disabling the TPMS system, you can't here in the USA. It is mandatory. And Tesla is the only one who can disable it in the running firmware. To throw that option out. Closest thing to disabling it is what was said again in the 2.x TPMS thread. You can fake out the sensors to the antenna. However you have a 1.5 Roadster, and we don't have the ongoing issues that the 2.x's have since the 1.5 has a more robust TPMS system, however as you know we're locked into the set tire sizes / rotation values.

Steve Hand reported that he bought the $36 ones (TPMS TT-0011 on your cited page) via Amazon "sold by" Wheel1x. Tesla installed them for him at $50 per tire for rebalancing, etc., and tested the TPMS.

Before seeing Steve Hand's report, I bought the $73 ones that are claimed to be the same as the originals because my installer was more comfortable with that choice. I got mine from tpms.com in Irvine.

Much thanks to Steve and Steve. Both of my 1.5 Roadster TPMSs went out in the same week a couple of months ago, so I was driving around with the pesky TPMS warning indicator on. I ordered the $36 sensors that Steve Hand recommended above, had them installed at my local tire shop for $20/each and now, no problem with the TPMS light. I just replaced all 4 sensors, rather than try to figure out which one was bad. So, bottom line, it costs me $224 to replace the entire set.

• Informative
Reactions: dgh and dhrivnak
I seriously doubt it as the TPMS are totally different. One example is the 2.x needs a tool to reset the system but the 1.5 you take a 20 mile drive, no tool needed.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
Just ordered a set of four from Amazon for a 1.5. Service center agreed to install them for labor only (official Tesla policy is to only install Tesla parts). Price upped to $ 41.50, but still a good deal if works hassle free as it has been reported by others. Have an existing appointment at the service center at the end of the month. Will update to confirm it worked or if I had issues.

Just ordered a set of four from Amazon for a 1.5. Service center agreed to install them for labor only (official Tesla policy is to only install Tesla parts). Price upped to $ 41.50, but still a good deal if works hassle free as it has been reported by others. Have an existing appointment at the service center at the end of the month. Will update to confirm it worked or if I had issues.
Which model did you order?

I ordered from this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...etailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 9.13.58 PM.png

Quick update. Along with some other service, the TPMS were installed by a local Tesla service center. 45 minute labor. Seems to be working fine, as the fault light is (mostly) gone (it did come on intermediately briefly while being driven home from service center). The car was only driven ≈20 miles, so I suspect that once its driven more, the light will go away for good. The service center did manually check the tire pressure and all are good. If their is any indication that long term the TPMS I sourced from Amazon are not as good as the those that Tesla sells, I'll post whatever my concern is.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester

The 2.0 and 2.5 TPMS are the same has first Gen Model S made by Baelong refresh and current cars are running a continental system.