TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

yet another wireless charging mod

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dralusion, May 22, 2018.

1. dralusion

dralusion Member

I finally had some time to make a diy wireless charging. Tried a few different coils…raw/parts and just found them to be bulky for my mod. I did end up using what everyone has been using. These are incredibly thin 3.5mm and is corded to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-thin-Wireless-Charger-Charging-Standard/dp/B075Q97P9T/ref=pd_sbs_107_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B075Q97P9T&pd_rd_r=TFK9NT9771R68HGYP01A&pd_rd_w=dtIqG&pd_rd_wg=AlngD&psc=1&refRID=TFK9NT9771R68HGYP01A

Grabbed some 3mm neoprene and veneer that closely matches the m3 wood trim. Fired up the laser cutter and couple hours later, I had my dual wireless charger. Nothing fancy, but I thing it looks decent.

20180522_082318.jpg 20180522_082214.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

what, no alacantra? :D

Seriously, looks great.

3. dralusion

dralusion Member

...ding, ding...great idea! now im on the hunt for matching alcantara fabric. thanks for option

4. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Looks nice, but the neoprene or rubber is best to keep stuff from sliding around. Fun project though im sure!

5. JDea

JDea Member

Nice!

I think that wood touch looks awesome.

6. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

How do you keep the phones from sliding out of charge range when cornering? I left the original rubber and I still get the phone sliding sometimes.

-Randy

7. ranova

ranova Member

looks really good but unfortunately your phones will be sliding around and lose the wireless charge connection unless you have a heavier phone with a rubber case on it; especially if theres only 1 phone on it.

This was the case when I modded the included rubber pad with a wireless coil on the back

IF you do use a case on your phone, I suggest sticking 4 small, thin neodymium magnets in the case and on the back of the wood panel. It will let the phone snap into place and not move around.

This is what I did way back when with the s7 + wireless charging pad for my car:

I modded a wireless pad with magnets to create a magnetic wireless charging dock - Post #0

• Helpful x 1
  8. dralusion

dralusion Member

ah...didnt account for the sliding. back to the drawing board