Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another yearly service pro/con thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious about "annual" service for those out there that are high milage consumers. New S75D delivered 12/22/17, but really started driving 1/2018 after charge port issues, xpel, etc. 11,000 miles now. Any thoughts on whether to skip the 12.5k and do the 25k service at one year?

Looking at what services are performed, I'd try to ask for some ad-hoc services. I recently crossed 12.5k and had them just do the drive unit service. As for the other items on the list they seem pretty minor or inexpensive items. Not sure if they do anything more thorough with the multi-point inspection but they seem to do a courtesy inspection whenever you bring your car in for anything...even rattles.

Personally I'd probably have them do the drive unit service on year one and the battery coolant service on year 4. Everything else seems like it would be taken care of naturally when taking care of other things like replacing tires or brakes.

I would do 1, 2, and 4yr/mile-limit services.
1yr for drive unit fluids
2yr yr for brake fluid + AC filter
4yr for brake fluid + AC filter + battery coolant.

I think 3yr service can simply be addressed (multi-point inspection) if you are bringing your car for other services. Do the above and you are not going to have issues for extended service/warranty claims. Good investment I think for a car of this cost.

Reactions: Shaggy
Note that they change the Drive unit fluid the first year to remove those metal break-in particles.
Not anymore, they don't: Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

Strange that they dropped what was certainly the most expensive part of the maintenance service, yet kept the price the same. $550 to replace a fob battery and wipers, inspect, and maybe align and rotate (if needed). Hard to justify that now.

Not anymore, they don't: Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

Strange that they dropped what was certainly the most expensive part of the maintenance service, yet kept the price the same. $550 to replace a fob battery and wipers, inspect, and maybe align and rotate (if needed). Hard to justify that now.

Its interesting that it doesnt mention it,I just had my first year service done and DU flush was done as part of it. Maybe its default and they just chose not to mention it explicitly anymore?

To the OP, if they are doing the DU flush and if you have not rotated the tires, I'd say go for it. If there is no DU flush, just ask them how much it will cost for that alone and get the tires rotated elsewhere.

Its interesting that it doesnt mention it,I just had my first year service done and DU flush was done as part of it. Maybe its default and they just chose not to mention it explicitly anymore?

To the OP, if they are doing the DU flush and if you have not rotated the tires, I'd say go for it. If there is no DU flush, just ask them how much it will cost for that alone and get the tires rotated elsewhere.
After I got new tires recently I called to ask about rotation and they said that service was free.

So what happens after 4 years/50K miles? I see no mention of anything being done, but it is required for the ESA. Confusing to me that regular maintenance is required but there is nothing specified other than a time or mileage interval. Anybody into their ESA who can enlighten me as to the requirements?

So what happens after 4 years/50K miles? I see no mention of anything being done, but it is required for the ESA. Confusing to me that regular maintenance is required but there is nothing specified other than a time or mileage interval. Anybody into their ESA who can enlighten me as to the requirements?

There is a sentence in there somewhere... Years 1-4 just repeat to 5-8. Same for mileage.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman and BerTX