Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet ONE MORE wire size/ampacity question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#2??? Aww, come on, Flasher, just what kind of sadist are you?

Serious: can anyone really perform the necessary loop inside the HPWC with #2? And besides, isn't the supplied hole too small for such a gauge?

#2??? Aww, come on, Flasher, just what kind of sadist are you?

Serious: can anyone really perform the necessary loop inside the HPWC with #2? And besides, isn't the supplied hole too small for such a gauge?

Nope, I made it work from the left. You have to use an LB to give you the necessary room, and it does elicit quite a bit of cursing. The terminals are rated up to a #2.

Nope, I made it work from the left. You have to use an LB to give you the necessary room, and it does elicit quite a bit of cursing. The terminals are rated up to a #2.

I have 2 HPWC's installed with #2. I did one and cursed a lot connecting the #2 to the HPWC. The other one a good electrician with a sense of humor called "challenging" after he did it. :eek:

I have 2 HPWC's installed with #2. I did one and cursed a lot connecting the #2 to the HPWC. The other one a good electrician with a sense of humor called "challenging" after he did it. :eek:

I also have two HPWC installed using #2 wire. The #2 wire even heats up a bit after an hour of charging at 80A. I couldn't even fathom using #6 at even close to 80A continuous, even on a short run.

The #2 is fed from the left side without much issue. I just left extra wire on the HPWC when running it, connected the 100A breaker side first (power off!), and then trimmed the #2 length inside the HPWC to fit perfectly into the terminals. No cursing required for that part. Pulling the #2 ~50ft on the other hand...

Last edited:
Interesting that you would say that, given the construction of the Tesla UMC as demonstrated here:
Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772

Appliances != infrastructure. NEC governs wiring infrastructure and not appliance wiring practices, which is why they get away with it. I know why Tesla's doing it (flexibility of cord), but I don't necessarily like it because if one conductor breaks the cable will get quite hot.

Parallel circuits are allowed in commercial applications, but just to give an example of the point FlasherZ was making, this is what happens if one of the conductors is not properly tightened, leading to increased load on the other conductor. We caught this one in time but if it had melted just a little more, it would have probably shorted out with the panel box and led to a big bada boom.

image copy.jpg

Yes, parallelled conductors are permitted at sizes of 1/0 and greater. Would love to see the day we can have that level of current for our EV charging at home to require parallelling conductors, but doubt it. :)