Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yikes, almost hit a motorcycle in traffic today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in bumper to bumper traffic this am on my way to work (nothing new). I had AP set while I happen to be looking down at my phone (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know) and started rolling forward at a crawl. I looked up and was centimeters from smashing into the back of a motorcycle. Fortunately, I didn't hit him.

I have noticed that AP 2.0 doesn't animate motorcycles like it did with my model S on AP 1, but this time it didn't even seem to recognize the obstacle at all. It appeared to only see the car ahead of the cycle and was creeping towards it, willing to plow through the motorcycle to close the gap. As soon as I gave some distance, my IC animated 2 cars (one for the cycle and one for the car ahead of it) and kept a proper distance after AP was re-engaged. Anyone else experience similar issues lately?

currently on 2018.10.4 8bbdc66

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
Was in bumper to bumper traffic this am on my way to work (nothing new). I had AP set while I happen to be looking down at my phone (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know) and started rolling forward at a crawl. I looked up and was centimeters from smashing into the back of a motorcycle. Fortunately, I didn't hit him.

I have noticed that AP 2.0 doesn't animate motorcycles like it did with my model S on AP 1, but this time it didn't even seem to recognize the obstacle at all. It appeared to only see the car ahead of the cycle and was creeping towards it, willing to plow through the motorcycle to close the gap. As soon as I gave some distance, my IC animated 2 cars (one for the cycle and one for the car ahead of it) and kept a proper distance after AP was re-engaged. Anyone else experience similar issues lately?

Did you notify Tesla?

Was the bike centered or offset? Had you been following it, or did it move between you and the car in front?

It was exactly centered. It was not initially in front of me. The car I was following changed lanes and the motorcycle was there.

I believe that is still one of the warned limitations of AP: Car in front of you is moving, then changes out of your lane leaving a stopped vehicle now in front of you.

EDIT: Here's the warning from my 3 manual:

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I believe that is still one of the warned limitations of AP: Car in front of you is moving, then changes out of your lane leaving a stopped vehicle now in front of you.
True. In almost 2.5 yrs of Tesla ownership, I never experienced that . . . . although, I am usually pretty good about paying attention. I guess I needed more coffee this am.

Are you sure it was in TACC and not creep mode? I only ask due to the slow movement and distance to the next car if the motorcycle was ignored.
99% sure. Now that you ask, I don't know for sure. I do vaguely remember hearing the beep when I slammed on the brakes and I think it only beeps when you break AP, but not TACC.

It was creeping forward bc the car (and cycle) ahead of me wasn't moving. It was just closing the gap in traffic. Either way, I wouldn't expect TACC or AP to differ in how it creeps forward and/or recognizes obstacles.

99% sure. Now that you ask, I don't know for sure. I do vaguely remember hearing the beep when I slammed on the brakes and I think it only beeps when you break AP, but not TACC.

It was creeping forward bc the car (and cycle) ahead of me wasn't moving. It was just closing the gap in traffic. Either way, I wouldn't expect TACC or AP to differ in how it creeps forward and/or recognizes obstacles.

AP is pretty much TACC + Lane Keeping, so yah that part would stay the same. I am Telsa-less so I don't know how the gap closing works in terms of stopping distance/ closure speed, that's why I was curious.

Gotcha. Yeah, it just creeps forward and stops at a predetermined distance from the car ahead. Close enough to prevent another car from cutting you off, far enough away that you don't feel like you're ramming up their tailpipes.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
I love that when it comes to responsibility of the DRIVER, it's ...

... I am usually pretty good about paying attention. I guess I needed more coffee this am ...

... I wonder if a certain driver in California was texting the same thing before the gore point?

Pay attention -- no one will care if your car is "Obsidian Black" or just "Black," --- you'll be known as the moron that hit someone.

True. In almost 2.5 yrs of Tesla ownership, I never experienced that . . . . although, I am usually pretty good about paying attention. I guess I needed more coffee this am.

Frankly that limitation is something pretty specific and not always at the front of mind. I drive in stop and go every day, so I'm sure that scenario has happened to me before (though maybe not with the "revealed" vehicle being a motorcycle), but AP has never failed to stop me in time.

Reactions: MGMDaware