Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yikes!! Plastic/rubber (?) piece broke off of my charge port!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard of this or had it happen to you? We only discovered it because my husband’s S wouldn’t hook up to our charger properly. One of the hard pieces of rubber or plastic that surrounds the charging prongs on my car has broken off into our home charger. Since my car will still charge, the ranger is coming out on Monday. We cannot get the piece out of the actual charger, but I’m hoping the ranger can. (Yes, we killed power to the charger).

upload_2018-6-27_22-57-51.jpeg

upload_2018-6-27_22-58-29.jpeg

I used a very small drill bit to drill two holes into the plastic piece stuck into the charger. I put the two holes 180 degrees away from each other. I then used a couple pick tools to pry it out. Was fiddly but worked. This was one a charger I got as "Not working" but turns out it was just that plastic piece stuck in it not allowing it to be inserted fully into the car.

Yes, the little black pin tips inside the charging port are called "dead fronts". Our Model 3 won't charge with one missing, and it will take 10 days for a Tesla Service Ranger to come out to fix it ...

Sorry to hear that it will take so long! Are you able to charge with a different charger? I was able to charge my car when this happened, but my husband could not charge his. There was no COVID at the time, so the ranger was out straight away. Do they know you cannot charge your car? It's hard to actually get in touch with a service center anymore with the automated system now. Have you called the hotline number to let them know? Maybe they can escalate your case to get the ranger there sooner.