Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke buttons flickering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I've been noticing the buttons on the yoke flickering when performing high intensity tasks (plaid launches, supercharging). It happens intermittently and corrects itself over time, but it's a little concerning. It also happened after Supercharging one time and led further to the side cameras bugging out. I reset the software and these issues all resolved.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to try to get service as well, but I'm curious if this is a known issue.

• Informative
Reactions: planetary
New car as of today. I'm noticing this too. Was doing the "new car, sit in the garage and dive into the details" thing. Noticed the following:

- Plugged in, but not charging: flickering every 15-20 minutes, just the turn signal buttons, it seems. Noticed this twice.
- Plugged in and charging at 40amps: As the charge was ramping -- flickered on the right for 1 second, then over on the left for another second.
- I did not notice any flickering earlier in the day when driving around. But it was the first day, and it was daylight.

@jspha, id you ever report this to service, or debug further?

Last edited:
Hey, good to know I'm not alone in this. I haven't had a chance to make it to a service appointment yet due to the holidays, but this is a similar behavior, especially being induced by charging at high power.

I had one bad instance where the flickering led to failure of the side cameras (and subsequently, lots of other dependent systems). It was resolved with a computer reboot, but still pretty troubling.

I'm hoping to get it in for service before too long (fix some hatch alignment issues, too) and will let you know what they say, @planetary.

Thanks much, and good luck. I hope either (1) this vanishes with a software update, or (2) I can dial in reproducibility, to help the repair folks actually fix the problem on the first call.

On the one hand, I'm a bit concerned that this is too intermittent for service to reproduce and acknowledge. I'm going to keep driving for another week to collect any issues needed for a service call.

Yeah, better reproducibility would definitely be helpful. Please note here if you can find a consistent way to reproduce. I've had my car for a couple weeks now and I've seen it maybe 3 times (and never seen that camera issue again). Not so easy to reproduce!

Funny thing. Driving my car today I noticed the yoke buttons flickering. I actually thought it was my imagination so I ignored it. But I kept seeing the buttons flicker. And now I pop in here and see this thread. So weird.

No other issues to report with this, although I've now got low tire pressure warnings for my left front tire. Even though it's at exactly the same pressure as my other tires. But I seriously doubt this is related to whatever is causing the buttons to flicker.

• Informative
Saw it again last night while sitting in the car at home, playing with Tidal. Car was in park, but not plugged in at the time.

Flicker pattern was similar to before, prior to the Christmas update: quick pulsing on the left, then the right, then the left again.

Reactions: McQ14
Based on some of the reports IE it happens during heavy tasks it could be processor overload and some tasks don’t get updated IE the yoke. I have had glitches during supercharging that I think are attributed to CPU loading or perhaps a memory leak. Just a theory or it could be a bug in the code that adjusts the yoke button backlighting.

I noticed the yoke buttons flickering day 1 of my pickup. Obviously easier to notice in the evening when it’s dark. Very sporadic, cannot replicate on demand and seems to be random (first time was when I was using nav, second was while driving, third when reviewing dash cam clips and moving between menus). Tried to record it but the flicker came and went. Both signal turn buttons and the horn, wiper side of the buttons.

I’ve reported it to service as part of my “first 24 hours” issue list. Got a service chat message with the rep asking for the exact date/time (to the minute). Assume they will try to pull a log to see what occurred. Somewhat relieved to know it’s not just my vehicle but at the same time hope it’s nothing serious, seems unlikely as all other operations are fine.

I too had the intermittent flickering issue, but after the latest software input it appears my illuminated yolk buttons are always at full brightness now. It’s really distracting when driving in low-light situations. Anyone else see this “new” issue?