Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke HORN placement tips and tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brunla

MS-LR / MSM / Black / Arachnid / FSD
Dec 22, 2020
Los Angeles
Just wondering if anybody has any horn tips or tricks on the yoke? I find it extremely dangerous in that moment when you cannot take your eyes off the road and need to hit the horn. I have tried the right hand over the buttons, and it sets off the windshield wipers and only works sometimes. Two questions:
1. What are people doing that works?
2. What can Tesla do to make the horn safer through an UPDATE ONLY? (Like what they did with turn signals that solved those issues.)

The yoke is dumb; the new primary control ergonomics are utter garbage; there are numerous functions in the pre-refresh S that are no longer available to the fingertips (e.g.: replying to texts; answering and initiating phone calls), but the wandering horn ‘button’ is profoundly stupid and dangerous. Currently, there’s no solution; I won’t buy a new S until there is.

Reactions: roc-noc and 2101Guy
The horn not being accessed by hitting center of wheel (where air bag is) is the single biggest flaw in this car. Plain and simple it's dangerous. Three months in and today was almost the day after a few close calls. Came within an inch of being hit by someone who started backing quickly in parking lot while yoke was in near 180. Not the time to be looking down to find button. A few split seconds make a difference.

They could make the horn voice activated when I say a chosen word really loud. Like FxxK or A$$Hxxxx which is usually shouted when I have a really close call.

I have had two of those close calls when turning the yoke. Absolutely should have been mounted in the center on top of the airbag cover. Useless where it is currently located.

BTW I like the yoke other than the horn issue. Got used to it quickly.

• Funny
Reactions: SDRick and 4SUPER9
They could make the horn voice activated when I say a chosen word really loud. Like FxxK or A$$Hxxxx which is usually shouted when I have a really close call.

I have had two of those close calls when turning the yoke. Absolutely should have been mounted in the center on top of the airbag cover. Useless where it is currently located.

BTW I like the yoke other than the horn issue. Got used to it quickly.
I also like the yoke but I would like it better if there was a variable steering ratio so that minimum turn radius could be achieved by turning the yoke only slightly more than 90 degrees. I have gotten used to the kung fu maneuvers necessary to turn it further but they really aren’t as good as it could be. Would be a great option for drivers to have.

And the horn is just a classic facepalm blunder.

Reactions: roc-noc
Just wondering if anybody has any horn tips or tricks on the yoke? I find it extremely dangerous in that moment when you cannot take your eyes off the road and need to hit the horn. I have tried the right hand over the buttons, and it sets off the windshield wipers and only works sometimes. Two questions:
1. What are people doing that works?
2. What can Tesla do to make the horn safer through an UPDATE ONLY? (Like what they did with turn signals that solved those issues.)
If one would figure out where the horn button is before driving, they might not need to go searching when things get exciting. And people really, really don't need to go hitting the horn anyway. Personally, I feel that people honk the horn far more than they need to. You know, it actually IS possible to get the car moving and get through traffic without using the horn AT ALL, and you'll probably get there just as fast. Here in California, we don't do much honking. Most people look at honking as unnecessary noise pollution.

If one would figure out where the horn button is before driving, they might not need to go searching when things get exciting. And people really, really don't need to go hitting the horn anyway. Personally, I feel that people honk the horn far more than they need to. You know, it actually IS possible to get the car moving and get through traffic without using the horn AT ALL, and you'll probably get there just as fast. Here in California, we don't do much honking. Most people look at honking as unnecessary noise pollution.
While I don’t disagree that much honking is foolish, when someone is about to hit your vehicle due to inattentiveness it is nice to have a mechanism to alert them.

Looking at where the horn button is before driving is not very helpful. We are talking about a subcentimeter target that you have to hit that is not dead center in the yoke, thus you have to adjust for the rotation of the yoke in order to hit it.

The horn has a valid safety function and that function depends on its availability in panic situations when one cannot divert attention to targeting a tiny capacitive spot.

I don't consider my use excessive although I don't live in your cherished state. I consider a horn necessary to wake up the driver in front of you when the traffic light turns green and they are too deep in their cellphone use to notice. Other than that, I use it for emergencies and the last time that happened I was in the middle of a turn when someone ran a red light. Pretty hard to locate at that yoke angle.

I stand by my previous posting that we need the horn button in the middle or else voice activated which should be easy for a talented programmer. Too bad Elon doesn't follow these threads.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
Not sure I agree with your observations. There are plenty of times when a horn is necessary to alert another driver to avoid a collision or even to alert an animal. Sometimes you’re the honk-or and sometimes you’re the honk-ee but regardless the audio blast from a horn can be very helpful. As far as noise pollution I think you should look at Harleys more likely. 🏍

1/2" clear epoxy dot over the horn button. Easy to find it with your thumb. Available on Etsy.

I've converted 4 or 5 Tesla owners to this solution. See Post #130 in the linked thread.

1/2" clear epoxy dot over the horn button. Easy to find it with your thumb. Available on Etsy.

I've converted 4 or 5 Tesla owners to this solution. See Post #130 in the linked thread.

I love this solution, thanks for re-posting! It’s easier to find by touch, looks fine, and is still as sensitive if not more.

1BC245F5-7783-4C5A-8E78-ACD548708EAB.jpeg
9F35A78D-08DF-43D7-936E-9C772769258D.jpeg

Definitely an nice improvement. Have used it successfully A few times. Thank you !