Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the yoke looks cool, but I don't think I want it for the everyday drive. This is a real concern for me as I want the next Tesla to be the X or Cybertruck and hope they come to their senses and offer a regular steering wheel choice. It would be a deal breaker for me.

I think the yoke looks cool, but I don't think I want it for the everyday drive. This is a real concern for me as I want the next Tesla to be the X or Cybertruck and hope they come to their senses and offer a regular steering wheel choice. It would be a deal breaker for me.
It seems that as long you are not planning doing any drifting, there might not be really too much dramatic difference,
with only the possibility of crossing your arms on very tight curves.
There was another thread talking about this issue with an interview of Randy Pobst.

My main reason for getting it was so I could see the after market display I installed.

I totally agree with some of the posts, it needs a software adjustment to make it so your not turning so many degrees to achieve a safe turn.

IT takes getting used to, as I have noticed myself reaching for the top part that is not there doing a turn.

Parallel parking will be a bitch.

So true about those who have not tried the Tesla, I have had to explain the car is made in the USA, many still think we import them from EU.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I don't think you necessarily need to try it to recognize that it is potentially dangerous.
It seems that as long you are not planning doing any drifting, there might not be really too much dramatic difference,
with only the possibility of crossing your arms on very tight curves.
There was another thread talking about this issue with an interview of Randy Pobst.
Drifting or trying to quickly regain control if hydroplaning or hitting ice. Seems pretty dangerous to me - with a round wheel you can pretty much just always clamp down wherever your hands are and be certain that you'll grip the wheel -- not possible here.

I get the OP's desire to see the gauge cluster better. That makes sense and I've been considering one of those clusters. I would prefer a solution that would implement something like HUD (heads-up display). Hopefully the OP isn't afflicted by whatever the person who was arrested twice for riding in the back seat of his Tesla (link below for original article). Not saying that is the case, but sometimes people need even more attention than a Tesla provides in stock form. Again I am not saying this is the case here but I've seen some pretty outlandish Teslas lately in my area. Maybe the person who wrapped their MY in something that looked like a pink wrap really loves pink that much. I wish I could have gotten a photo of that one.

I have an MS on order and this is one thing I'm not thrilled about on it. I don't see much benefit when you have several turns lock to lock. The main thing for me is muscle memory. In an emergency, I have years and years of driving and have a good sense of where the wheel should be.

In general, I am a to each their own person and if it works for him, doesn't cause any accidents or hurt anyone, then great.

Reactions: StarLog
This adage is so true: "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

None of these nicks have tried a yoke, automatically hate it, and state they'll never buy a vehicle with one. They were hoping the NTSB or some other government agency would step in an stop Tesla from selling the new S/Y (and prob CT) with the yoke.

Same for the number of people that have never tried driving a Tesla, automatically hate it, and claim they'll never buy one.

Tesla won't have a problem finding customers for their vehicles.

None of what you said makes it better.
There's a reason that other car companies haven't used yokes, and it's not a problem that Tesla magically solved.
Tesla is using the yoke as a marketing gimmick to try to sell more people on the idea of FSD. It's a stupid solution.

It has nothing to do with "...You can't teach an old dog new tricks..."

There's no automatic "hate" from anyone here, simply an understanding that, in an emergency, muscle memory prevails, and even if you're young and inexperienced, you'll still be grabbing for a wheel, and not a yoke. (SOOO tired of anyone who is challenged always claiming any countering view is "hate"...)

I'd be interested to hear from the Nascar crowd, who (GASP!) continue to use steering wheels...and they're driving ovals/tri-ovals. There has to be a reason for that.

Airplane pilots, on the other hand, used to have yokes. HAHA...now they have keyboards.

Hmm...I'm going to install a steering wheel on my road bike. It'll look really cool, and different, and...(even though I may be an "old dog", my road bike still has only 2 wheels!)

Reactions: tlr1000 and StarLog
1624118874622.png

Reactions: StarLog
I am just hoping there is enough bad press, cancelled orders, and lawsuits that stop this madness. Yokes have no place in passenger vehicles. Period. I do not want to re-learn how to drive at this point in my life. Videos I've watched so far are painful - this is absurd for parallel parking and other everyday tasks. The stalkless approach is also over-engineering, IMO.
I love it. It looks cool af, and the only time it really may be an inconvenience is when u turning or parallel parking, which is rare for a lot of people.

I think it wouldve been cool if they made it an option. but ultimately if you buy the car knowing it has a yoke steering wheel, you kinda know what you're getting into

I agree that it would make more sense but even the new Model S doesn't have this, check out some videos online, the Model S yoke requires a few full rotations for turning, just like a regular wheel.

This looks fine to me. I wouldnt mind this at all, in fact I prefer this. the Top of the wheel does indeed get in the way of reading the instrument cluster.

On the plus side , the oem S/X yoke steering wheel is styled nicely looking futuristic and having good proportions. On the minus side, I think in emergency maneuvers requiring steering wheel movement where arms are crossed the yoke will be less precise with accurate, steady, and speedy steering input. Randy Pobst says the yoke is fine as long you don't have to turn the wheel past 180 degrees but in real life you would need to do that which is perfectly fine in a non-emergency or non-racing situation but I think there can be a potential safety risk in certain circumstances. As for a 3 and/or Y, if you choose to go the yoke route keep this in mind.

For now the aftermarket 3/Y yokes I've seen are unfortunately designed with odd looking dimensions and no where near as attractive as the oem S/X yoke (my opinion only). Unfortunately, many YouTube reviews are very biased as some reviewers, without naming names, get free swag from the manufacturers and are motivated to continue to get free swag so the reviews are a bit biased. I tend to prefer reviews by people who actually paid for their products.

I've paid very detailed attention to how I steer my MY and all my cars in every day use, and there is a ton of use of the top half of the steering wheel, all through muscle memory. I'm not a big hand-over-hand type of driver with a standard wheel, but the videos with the yoke proves you really have to go hand-over-hand, and it is awkward and ugly to watch. Many times when driving out of a turn, the wheel will spin back to center with my hand(s) on the wheel lightly, which is now impossible. Additionally, the way I use my turn signal stalk in and out of turns is also muscle memory, and just comes naturally, and allows the wheel to spin back to center under a light grip, and I can change turn signal direction. Think about when you are exiting down a short off-ramp, and the way the road is designed, you need to almost immediately make your next turn the opposite way you just had your flasher on - so you quickly flick the stalk the other direction to warn other drivers what you intend to do. So yes, I may not be young any more, but I'm more concerned with emergency or quick-moving situations where hunting for the turn-signal capacitive buttons on the wheel will be awkward and dangerous.

And I'm banking on the market deciding, not the government. What I am also banking on is that every Tesla buyer doesn't worship Musk, nor is in the stratosphere of buyer for the Plaid MS and willing to have a goofy race-car steering wheel because it is "cool". There will be most likely more first-time EV buyers in the next 2-3 years than repeat buyers. If Tesla decides to push this wheel as standard on the M3 and MY, with real competition offering lower learning curves from ICE to EV with more traditional controls/interfaces/interiors, this may only make it more challenging for first-time EV buyers when cross-shopping.