Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone has said earlier in this thread, this seems to be overengineering just to be cool and different (nothing new with Tesla/Elon).

If someone can tell me one functional advantage to this yoke on any car, please let me know. Everything I've seen so far is that it performs close to a regular steering wheel in most conditions, and will be uncomfortable in some instances. I am still young and can certainly get used to new things (got used to one pedal driving fast), but I like to know that the new thing I'm using is better, not just looks cool. If you need to see your heads up display better, maybe that means that your driving position isn't optimal.

I personally parallel park literally every day and do u-turns regularly. I'm not sure how this yoke would make my life easier.

For parallel parking and u-turns, just add a brodie knob to the yoke ;). Problem solved!

brodie2.jpg

As someone has said earlier in this thread, this seems to be overengineering just to be cool and different (nothing new with Tesla/Elon).

If someone can tell me one functional advantage to this yoke on any car, please let me know. Everything I've seen so far is that it performs close to a regular steering wheel in most conditions, and will be uncomfortable in some instances. I am still young and can certainly get used to new things (got used to one pedal driving fast), but I like to know that the new thing I'm using is better, not just looks cool. If you need to see your heads up display better, maybe that means that your driving position isn't optimal.

I personally parallel park literally every day and do u-turns regularly. I'm not sure how this yoke would make my life easier.
I read a while back that a thought on the elimination of the stalks and using the yoke was so that in the future, when autonomous driving is here, the entire wheel would retract into the space below the driver’s-side screen so it’s out of the way. With the yoke, it fits into that area. I have no idea if this is true or not but it’s as good a guess as anyone else’s, and kind of makes sense.

For parallel parking and u-turns, just add a brodie knob to the yoke ;). Problem solved!

View attachment 675592

I read a while back that a thought on the elimination of the stalks and using the yoke was so that in the future, when autonomous driving is here, the entire wheel would retract into the space below the driver’s-side screen so it’s out of the way. With the yoke, it fits into that area. I have no idea if this is true or not but it’s as good a guess as anyone else’s, and kind of makes sense.
That is what VW was doing with their all electric cars, but I do not know if it really happened.

mark95476: It has nothing to do with "old dogs that can't learn anything new..." It is an issue, in an emergency, of grabbing for a surface that doesn't exist. The learning curve is steeper than you think. One thing for sure, you won't be able to loan your car to anyone, as they won't be safe.

It will be interesting how insurance companies handle this.

From a purely practical perspective, the steering ratios in a street car just aren't appropriate for a yoke. Ask the NASCAR folk. There's a reason they use a wheel and not a yoke.

All of you saying that the Yoke requires software and a variable rack, please note that the Plaid / S / X do NOT have a variable ratio rack in that the rack is still "fixed". What's variable is the ratio as you turn the wheel. The teeth in the rack are not spaced the same in the middle as they are at the ends. So there's no software aspect about it whatsoever.

Active steering seems so be the most popular name for what you're thinking of, where there's a drive mechanism which can actually change the number of turns lock to lock at any time, based on multiple parameters, mainly speed. The new S / Plaid do not have such a system.

It's 100% old dogs that can't learn anything new.

1. Lets say you turn your wheel 180 degrees during an emergency. Notice how the bottom loop is now on top--very convenient to grab, right? Look at the yoke and do the same mental exercise.
2. Performing an emergency maneuver starting with your hands on top of the wheel is arguably the worst as your mobility is the most limited.

The issue is that these old dogs (it's mental inability and not age related) have been driving for decades with a steering wheel and they can't understand the above. They're stuck and simply can't understand because they've been doing it wrong their entire lives.

BTW, F1, IndyCar, LeMans, IMSA, various touring car racing, ...anything high-end... have been yoke'd for decades.

Here's a really fast driver with a yoke on the Nurburgring a few weeks ago. He placed 1st in SP7. Virtually every vehicle on that track had a yoke.

mark95476: It has nothing to do with "old dogs that can't learn anything new..." It is an issue, in an emergency, of grabbing for a surface that doesn't exist. The learning curve is steeper than you think. One thing for sure, you won't be able to loan your car to anyone, as they won't be safe.

It will be interesting how insurance companies handle this.

From a purely practical perspective, the steering ratios in a street car just aren't appropriate for a yoke. Ask the NASCAR folk. There's a reason they use a wheel and not a yoke.