Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The yoke is horrible and I would give anything to replace it. Sure, its fine on the highway, I dare you to try to autocross it. Anything that requires more than a 90 degree yoke turn is awful.
I am definitely going to try the car on an autocross and can see the challenge in using it there. The main issue for autocross is the weight and size of the car, not the steering wheel though. It will definitely be just be for fun and not competition.

But on a road course and daily driving I rather have the yoke vs round. It truly feels natural.

Still can't get used to yoke after 2000+ miles... I occasionally drive my wife's Model Y and I can't tell you how much easier and comfortable to drive with circular steering wheel....

I randomly found out that there's a company who is working on "Circular Steering Wheel Conversion" for the plaid ( I pretty sure they are Signature's sister company?) Loving the OE circular look...probably going to place an order today.

Last edited:
Still can't get used to yoke after 2000+ miles... I occasionally drive my wife's Model Y and I can't tell you how much easier and comfortable to drive with circular steering wheel....

I randomly found out that there's a company who working on "Circular Steering Wheel Conversion" for the plaid ( I pretty sure they are Signature's sister company?) Loving the OE circular look...probably going to place an order today.

100% buying this.

I randomly found out that there's a company who is working on "Circular Steering Wheel Conversion" for the plaid ( I pretty sure they are Signature's sister company?) Loving the OE circular look...probably going to place an order today.

Interesting...I found the opposite. If I drive my wife's X or my P3 - I immediately miss my yoke.

My wife's X has 4 stalks!
Funny thing - the stalks are backwards. The plaid is a swipe down to reverse - 3 and X stalk down is forward.
I would like the horn button moved or bigger but I have learned to live with it.

Reactions: Tigers
Interesting...I found the opposite. If I drive my wife's X or my P3 - I immediately miss my yoke.

Funny thing - the stalks are backwards. The plaid is a swipe down to reverse - 3 and X stalk down is forward.
I would like the horn button moved or bigger but I have learned to live with it.
Yes, for some reason pressing a stalk down is naturally forward yet on a screen swipe it’s up. Same when scrollings webpage using a mouse vs touchscreen or inverted control for 1st person shooter games. Human factors oddity. Surprised this isn’t attacked more by the anti auto direction selection faction

Interestingly I saw that accessory seller TapTes is offering a Yoke for 3/Y. Must be one of there most expensive accessories.

Soon enough I'm sure they or someone else will have the Yoke replacement for Plaid with a conventual wheel.

There are like at least three companies doing the Yoke for 3/Y.

Give it time.

I agree that everyone has their preference, and I think Tesla should offer both regular and yoke for owners to choose from. However, seems like Tesla is pretty firm on the Yoke, so the only solution here is going with quality aftermarket option.

I agree that everyone has their preference, and I think Tesla should offer both regular and yoke for owners to choose from. However, seems like Tesla is pretty firm on the Yoke, so the only solution here is going with quality aftermarket option.

Agreed. Expect Tesla these days offer far less options then they used to in terms of owner customization from factory.

I am in the same boat. My 2013 S is due to be replaced soon, but the way Tesla has been going I’m beginning to seriously consider Lucid.

First with the yoke, then the auto gear selection? Which genius thought of the auto gear selection feature? 🤦🏻‍♂️I know that feature is selectable but still, why are they focusing on non existent problems?

I am intrigued by Lucid’s efficiency, lower curb weight, range, and luxury. I still need to try it out, only a thorough test drive will settle it for me.

I don’t understand the “ Yoke fear”
It took me just a few hours to get used to it in my plaid car
Learning to use the first IPhone with no tactile keyboard was far more difficult
Don’t worry about the Yoke. It’s different for sure but I like having a clear view without half the steering wheel bisecting my view

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles

I do wonder if the entire dash will be visible with a full wheel…

I do wonder if the entire dash will be visible with a full wheel…
I don’t think it will be an issue.

B721DD66-9D77-4C2F-9121-91B0C56583B9.jpeg

I don’t understand the “ Yoke fear”
It took me just a few hours to get used to it in my plaid car
Learning to use the first IPhone with no tactile keyboard was far more difficult
Don’t worry about the Yoke. It’s different for sure but I like having a clear view without half the steering wheel bisecting my view

Is not yoke fear, it’s just personally preference. I found people who prefer the yoke approach so aggressively to the people who doesn’t like yoke for some reason….at the end, we are all different and all like different stuff.

People generally don’t like change.

There’s a learn curve with new tech. The iPhone gets more complicated each year but I wouldn’t go backwards.

With a lot of new tech once’s your spend a proper amount of time with something you learn to appreciate it and can never go back.

Some people just prefer things the way they are.

I always had back problems on every mattress for decades. I bought a Temperpedic and it was the most uncomfortable thing being so different in so many ways from anything else. I suffered for two weeks until my night I just adjusted and my back pain has never come back. At least until I have to sleep at a hotel or anywhere but home.

People generally don’t like change.

There’s a learn curve with new tech. The iPhone gets more complicated each year but I wouldn’t go backwards.

With a lot of new tech once’s your spend a proper amount of time with something you learn to appreciate it and can never go back.

Some people just prefer things the way they are.

I always had back problems on every mattress for decades. I bought a Temperpedic and it was the most uncomfortable thing being so different in so many ways from anything else. I suffered for two weeks until my night I just adjusted and my back pain has never come back. At least until I have to sleep at a hotel or anywhere but home.

Poeple accept good change not bad change, and you are not compare apple to apple. Back in the days, there's no such thing as smartphone but there's nothing new about retangular shape steering, and is not the new tech. It has been used for decades on F1 and aircraft. They work well on those application, but doesn't mean will work well on the passenger car.

Yoke is simply a horrible design for me. If I had a choice, I will put circualr steering wheel on my S all day long.

Real talk: The yoke is wierd at first, but after driving mine for 500 miles, I love it. Once you get the hang of it, it takes less effort to make a tight turn than with a wheel. I still have my old model s and it felt awkward using the wheel again!

I do with the horn was in the center, but I’m sure I’ll get used to that in time as well.

If you’d like a video showing the technique I’m using to fully turn the wheel with little effort, let me know and I’ll post it here.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and nilesborg
I hated the yoke for the first 200 miles or so. After 5000 miles I think it is one of the coolest things on the car.
Don't decide you hate it until you've lived with it awhile. Pretty easy to adapt to it. Kinda like one-foot driving.
If you haven't driven extensively with the yoke, your opinion is valid, of course, but not based on experience.

Reactions: Ryanflynn